• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scans vs Multiple Pictures - Facebook debate ongoing.

30 posts in this topic

My eBay seller's notes tell me that 40% of my sales are to people buying through their mobile devices rather than desktops or laptops. Not sure if that means anything as far as the scans vs. pics debate, but it might. (shrug)

A clear pic or a clear scan can both be enlarged to assess a book.

Personally, I'd rather see a large scan of front and back than 16 positional pics. If the book has a spine roll, just state it.

I agree, but isn't that the very root of this question? Being able to identify any flaws from an image when a seller isn't forthcoming?

Can we make a facebook/ebay sub forum...I can't find the birthday threads with this junk.

most of the facebook photos are blurry, held in the hand terrible photos. As Roy mentioned the pics are almost always filled with glare, socks and positional imaging.

I hate when a comic image is obscured by socks or any sort of hosiery for that matter. :eek:

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'd still rather have large scans.

If you're really good you might even be able to spot a spine roll with a scan. ;)

I also think it is easier to hide minor color touch on a picture. The scan will pick it up better by showing a "funny looking" area.

This. The one bad purchase I made on Facebook was an ASM 28 that I got for what I thought was a great deal. I graded it based on the photos. When it arrived I found a ridiculous amount of black sharpie along the entire spine and bottom of the book which was not visible from the photos.

There's a reason every major comic selling outlet (Clink, Heritage, ComicConnect/Metro, Worldwide, High Grade, etc) uses scans, and that's because they're better. (thumbs u

Pictures help and can be useful and they are much easier, but they can also be used to hide things.

This

depends on the quality of scanner/camera.

take a picture of a slab and there's glare or weird angles to get the right photo. winner goes to the scanner if the scanner is able to take highres images.

raw books depend on the quality of the camera or scanner used as well as the way in which the books are pictured. whichever of the 2 provide better imagery and condition including specified defects. Just because I scan a raw book doesn't mean I know what the defects are immediately (unless stated). Having to magnify an image to find defects for myself makes me do more work than i feel like i have to if a seller just takes a closeup picture of the defect itself.

For interior pages on raw books, scanning them can be overkill when you see a book pressed flatly against the lends/lid.If you leave the lid open, you expose to much light and consequently the true colors of the book. I die a little inside when i see SA books done this way and I wont even look at the rest of the listing. I think pictures are more helpful for interior pages.

I find that scanning is more easy to manage since the images are automatically uploaded to a computer. When taking pictures, you have to go through additional steps to get the images uploaded for use (unless you have bluetooth/wi-fi enabled camera).

I agree, it depends on the scanner/camera.

I've tried to scan my books before but my scanner actually makes my books look better than what they look like in hand. I think my camera creates a better image that represents what my books actually look like.

There's a reason every major comic selling outlet (Clink, Heritage, ComicConnect/Metro, Worldwide, High Grade, etc) uses scans, and that's because they're better. (thumbs u

Pictures help and can be useful and they are much easier, but they can also be used to hide things. :gossip:

I'm definitely in the scans camp. Mostly because that's what I'm most used to seeing since that's what the big boys use. It's gotten easier for me to judge condition based on scans than pictures.