• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's BOOSTER GOLD series (2025?)

52 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: Alan Tudyk on Blue Beetle/Booster Gold: "If It's Working With Nathan, I'm In."

Shortly after Nathan Fillion appeared at Wizard World Comic Con Chicago saying he'd like to take a swing at the role of Booster Gold in an upcoming DC Comics movie, the Internet sprung into action, fan-casting Fillion's Firefly co-star Alan Tudyk in the role of Blue Beetle, Booster's longtime best friend.

During New York Comic Con, we had the opportunity to speak with Tudyk, and asked him whether he'd be down for the job. In spite of appearing not to know about the project, Fillion's interest or the character himself, he said that working with his Firefly and Con Man partner would be enough to draw him in.

"Well, that’s great. If it’s working with Nathan, I’m in," Tudyk said of the fan support, adding, "Also, being a bug for me? I’d like that. Roly-poly is nice. I’d like to be one of them. That’s what we called them back in Texas, but they’re almost a beetle."

iUShpUX.jpg

Booster Gold Creator Dan Jurgens: "I'm Not Saying No" To Nathan Fillion

The DC Comics superhero, created in the 1980s by famed writer/artist Dan Jurgens, has always had elements of comedy in his stories and, indeed, there was a period in his publishing history where he was essentially one-half of a Laurel-and-Hardy pairing with Blue Beetle. This makes a dramatic actor with dashing good looks and a wry sense of humor seem like a good match for Booster, although many fans have questioned whether Fillion could fit the role, given his age.

During the In-Store Convention Kickoff event today, Jurgens was quizzed about the idea.

“Wouldn’t that be something?” Jurgens said when Fillion's name was brought up.

Asked whether he would endorse the idea of Fillion playing Booster, Jurgens said, “I think that I absolutely would, and I would also have a list of probably ten other guys who I’d certainly give a big thumbs-up to. Some of it depends on what is the story you’d ever want to tell? What age is Booster, where exactly are we in his continuum, and what’s the story we want to tell? I’m not saying no!”

Although reality here is Dan Jurgens has nothing to do with the movie production. So it is a nice fantasy.

If they cast Nathan Fillion as Booster Gold, there'll be a whole bunch of fanboys on the 'net complaining about how they should've gone with Ryan Reynolds...

Geoff Johns Says There Are "A Lot of Plans For Booster Gold"

During our chat with DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns this weekend on the red carpet for Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, I couldn't help myself: I had to ask him about the future of Booster Gold.

When Johns asked whether I was talking about movies, TV, or comics, told him to respond to whichever one he could give us a real answer...and here's what he had to say:

“You’ll see [booster Gold] very soon, and there’s talks about…there’s actually a lot of plans for Booster Gold, one of my favorite characters. But yeah, Booster Gold fans, you will definitely be happy with what we’ve got coming up in the years ahead.”

:o

POWER RANGERS Scribe Zack Stentz Writing BOOSTER GOLD Movie; Greg Berlanti Interested In Directing

According to Birth.Movies.Death, Zack Stentz (whose credits include Thor and the Power Rangers reboot) is currently working on the -script, while DC TV overlord Greg Berlanti is producing with an eye to direct. In fact, this news was pretty much confirmed when the writer made a recent appearance on Kevin Smith's "Fatman on Batman" podcast, though we've yet to hear anything official from Warner Bros.

The site adds that Booster Gold being in development, "backs up the whispers I have heard that Warner Bros - and especially Ben Affleck - are very hip to what went wrong with BvS, and that the opportunity exists to fix the larger universe."

Zack Stentz Confirms He's Writing Booster Gold Movie

During an appearance on the latest installment of Screen Junkies's "Movie Fights," Stentz personally confirmed the news. "I am jumping into the DC Universe with both feet, and I am at least, until they fire me, I'm gonna be writing Booster Gold — for the big screen," Stentz told the panel.

Stentz is best known for his work on X-Men: First Class, Thor, the upcoming Power Rangers movie, and, more recently, the Kevin Smith-directed episode of The Flash — which aired last Tuesday.

:whee:

Greg Berlanti's BOOSTER GOLD Will Have No DCEU Connection

"As of right now we have no connective tissue to those worlds," Berlanti said when asked if the movie would be part of the DC Extended Universe that already includes Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Suicide Squad (with Wonder Woman and Justice League following in 2017). "It'd be a separate thing." He also said the project emerged from a long-dead Booster Gold TV show idea he was working on with longtime producing collaborator Andrew Kreisberg that "never got off the ground." After it bit the dust, Berlanti and Kreisberg got into talks with DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer (and reported new film co-chief) Geoff Johns, and the topic of the producing duo doing a movie came up.

Working with Zack Stentz, a writer who had penned an acclaimed second-season episode of The Flash and co-written on Marvel properties X-Men: First Class and Thor, they fleshed out the story. If the movie comes to pass, it will be an interesting departure for the superhero-movie world, not just as a rare lighthearted DC flick, but also because it will exist as a standalone story. The name of the game these days is complex cinematic universes, so it's interesting that Warner Bros. seems prepared to consider stepping outside that system, however tentatively and preliminarily.

7 BOOSTER GOLD Stories That Could Influence The New Movie

booster-gold-reality-lost-167656.jpg

With a Booster Gold movie on the way from X-Men: First Class writer Zack Stentz and The Flash executive producer Greg Berlanti, it's hard to guess just what kind of film it could shape up to be.

BOOSTER GOLD (vol. 1) #6

In hindsight, the first few issues read a little odd because he's now established as a fairly well-known hero and so they're teasing elements that we as readers generally already know now, but it was a cool way to introduce a mysterious new character -- especially in the post-Crisis on Infinite Earths DC Universe, where time travel had been rare and hints that he was from the future only opened up more possibilities and questions in the minds of readers.

The conceit, for those who aren't longtime fans, is that Booster is a Michael Jon Carter, a disgraced athlete who, after being caught up in a cheating scandal, ends up working as a security guard in a museum.

BOOSTER GOLD ON TRIAL

During the first volume of Booster Gold back in the '80s, a cop from the future named Broderick became obsessed with making Booster pay for his crimes, even following the hero back into the past, before finally being convinced that Booster was always meant to travel back in time and do the good he's doing.

Years later, during the second volume of Booster Gold, Booster was forced to go to prison, where he met up with a villain known as the Perforated Man, who turned out to be Booster himself from the far future, after his body was ravaged by years of chronal energy.

Minions Screenwriter Brian Lynch Wants To Write Blue Beetle and Booster Gold

Brian Lynch, a comic book and movie writer best known for Minions and The Secret Life of Pets, apparently wants to write a Blue Beetle and Booster Gold team-up comic so much that he dreams about it.

The writer took to Twitter over the weekend to admit "I had a dream I wrote a comic called Beetle & Booster Save All the Universes and I woke up and sighed."

It wouldn't be his first go-'round with a comedy/adventure duo in the comics: Lynch worked on BOOM! Studios' Bill and Ted comics. And while "Excellent" might resonate more with the average media consumer than "Bwa-ha-ha," the same isn't true in the comic shop.

Zack Stentz, who has worked on X-Men: First Class, Thor, and the upcoming Top Gun 2 as well as several episodes of The Flash, will write an upcoming Booster Gold movie, in which Blue Beetle is rumored to be featured.

Maybe this would get the movie efforts moving again.

Blue and Gold has been a movie rumor since I was a kid reading the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire (alter Hughes) JLI series. If it ever happens, it will literally be a childhood dream come true.