• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Garth Ennis The Boys/The Preacher

32 posts in this topic

This past spring and summer I read The Preacher and then The Boys for the first time. I loved both stories, not sure which I liked more probably the Preacher but the Boys was beyond great at many times! The Boys was a little over the top at times but I don't get offended easy.

I don't hear the Boys being talked about much around here, are there many fans? Also, what else has Garth Ennis put out that is worth reading that I might like? I have read the majority of his Punisher run which I love too.

So far I have enjoyed everything he has put out that I have read and would like to read some more of his comics. Any suggestons??

Hellblazer.

Hitman.

Authority.

Are you talking about the Authority: Kev, More Kev, and The Magnificent Kevin books? Because Ennis never wrote a regular Authority book. Warren Ellis, Mark Millar, Ed Brubaker, Abnett & Lanning, and a bunch of nobodies had stints on the different Authority main titles, but Ennis never wrote the regular title. .

Second Hitman.

Loved Preacher, The Boys, and his Punisher work.

I need to read his Fury MAX.

I've only read Dangerous Habits from his Hellblazer run. Sounds like I need to pick up the rest.

Hellblazer.

Hitman.

Authority.

Are you talking about the Authority: Kev, More Kev, and The Magnificent Kevin books? Because Ennis never wrote a regular Authority book. Warren Ellis, Mark Millar, Ed Brubaker, Abnett & Lanning, and a bunch of nobodies had stints on the different Authority main titles, but Ennis never wrote the regular title. .

Indeed I was.

You can start Hellblazer at the beginning with the Jaime Delano issues. Great stuff.

:cloud9:

So true... I think that Delano did a great job on it, and the Ennis run is much better if you are already warmed to and familiar with the characters. On it's own there are parts of the story telling won't have the same impact as it builds on those relationships.

Surprised one title that hasn't been addressed it Crossed. YES, it's over-the-top (not in a funny way like the Boys), but in gore. I am one of the few on these boards who feel it's really a deep, good read. However, be warned, there are sights you can't un-see. The splash at the end of the first book is horrific, you can just skip over it and pm me and I'll explain it to you if you don't want to see it (lol), if you decide to take the plunge.

Now this is for Volume 1 ONLY. Garth has come back a few times but his finest work is still the first volume and he has absolutely nothing to do with the majority of what was written AFTER that volume.

Jay

Surprised one title that hasn't been addressed it Crossed. YES, it's over-the-top (not in a funny way like the Boys), but in gore. I am one of the few on these boards who feel it's really a deep, good read. However, be warned, there are sights you can't un-see. The splash at the end of the first book is horrific, you can just skip over it and pm me and I'll explain it to you if you don't want to see it (lol), if you decide to take the plunge.

Now this is for Volume 1 ONLY. Garth has come back a few times but his finest work is still the first volume and he has absolutely nothing to do with the majority of what was written AFTER that volume.

Jay

I took me a couple issues but I got to like Crossed.

I'll second the first volume of Crossed... it's one of the most impactful stories Ennis has ever written in my opinion.

If it wasn't an Avatar book I think it'd get a lot more praise - unfortunately there's a few of those needlessly over the top "gore for gore's sake" Avatar panels in the book, but anyone that reads Ennis shouldn't be too impacted by the over the top blood and guts.

Also, as others have mentioned, the Fury MAX run (collected in a nice hardcover) is great and definitely worth the read.

Thanks guys you have given me a bunch to consider and look into! The Max: Fury title definitely sounds like it would be for me. I also forgot about Hitman, I did want to read that as I have heard about it in the past. Actually after I read the Preacher it was a toss up between the Boys and Hitman.