• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanner Tricks... ?

12 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a HP scanner and while it scans flat items well, it doesn't scan slabs clearly.

In the FS area there are some really clear scans of CGC'd books.... so what's the trick?

I've tried with the lid open/closed, I've tried with paper over top the slab (if lid is open), I've tried different positions (horizontal/vertical vs. scan one half, then the other half)

before anyone says 'get a new scanner', any ideas?

Here's the key part of that scanner thread about blurry scans. There are two basic types of scanners.

1. CCD Scanners - good for scanning slabs.

2. CIS Scanners - terrible for scanning slabs.

You have to make sure your scanner is CCD format. Or you are SOL.

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310 

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one. 

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL 

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

Thanks guys - I'm SOL then

Mine is a CIS type scanner and I've quickly realized it sucks for scanning slabs.

I appreciate the replies... looks like I'll stick to scanning raws and taking pics of slabs with my phone

Those are some expensive scanners! You get what you pay for I suppose

(shrug)

Mine is a CIS type scanner and I've quickly realized it sucks for scanning slabs.

I appreciate the replies... looks like I'll stick to scanning raws and taking pics of slabs with my phone

(shrug)

You can buy a lot of those scanners used relatively cheap on eBay. I think people here have had pretty good success doing just that.

(shrug)

I got an HP8250 with a 3 year warranty shipped for under $100 on eBay. Then go download paint.net for free.

Here's the key part of that scanner thread about blurry scans. There are two basic types of scanners.

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310 

HP 7410 All-in-one. 

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

Microtek V6UPL 

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

Anyone know which one(s) of these are best with a Mac?

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310 

HP 7410 All-in-one. 

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

Microtek V6UPL 

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 

Anyone know which one(s) of these are best with a Mac?

I have a Microtek i800 plus which works fine with a Mac. But they stopped updating their software for the Mac. So I had to switch to VueScan software. That turned out to be a blessing because VueScan software is much better in my experience and they update it all the time.

That said, I think all the HP scanners would work fine with a Mac. And I think HP scanners are probably better anyhow.