• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 39 or ASM 40,..which one is the better image ?

48 posts in this topic

If you're talking about composition, action, drama etc....they're both at the top of the heap....but I'd lean towards 39.

If you're talking about scan quality, they both bite. Hard.

tough call. 39 is a better design to me, and has a killer Goblin face and scooter. But, Spidey's mask is off and he's limp. On the other hand, on the 40 Spidey looks great, and he's winning...but Gobby has no face, just a lump on the floor. Plus the Spidey pose is badly drawn, lifeless and too stocky.

Give me third choice!

tough call. 39 is a better design to me, and has a killer Goblin face and scooter. But, Spidey's mask is off and he's limp. On the other hand, on the 40 Spidey looks great, and he's winning...but Gobby has no face, just a lump on the floor. Plus the Spidey pose is badly drawn, lifeless and too stocky.

Give me third choice!

------------------------------------------------------------------

asm046.jpg

Give me third choice!

very good analysis IMO................i'd lean toward #39, as well..........

Give me third choice!

very good analysis IMO................i'd lean toward #39, as well..........

I love both covers, but it is the deep blues and purples in the sky of #39 that do it for me. I vote for #39 as well. cloud9.gif

...but Gobby has no face, just a lump on the floor. Plus the Spidey pose is badly drawn, lifeless and too stocky.

Give me third choice!

ASM21 or 29 or 32. Romita is a phenomenal artist, but it took him a while to get the hang of Spider-Man being like a Spider, man.

Ditko is the definitive Spider-Man artist.

Case in point:

asm21.jpg

asm32a.jpg

asm29a.jpg

now youre talking!! Give me 21 or 29 ANY day! Classic contorted Spidey poses. I especially like 21 and wouldnt mind springing for the original artwork. (ha! until I saw the price, that is!) But its a cover, has a great Spidey pose, plus Human Torch AND a villain (but of course Goblin would be so much better in a single piece of Spidey artwork to span the ages and hold its value over time.

Scopion cover would have been better with the title ribbon graphic BELOW the drawing! It disects the ci=over as is, and probably looks worse on the B/W original page.

IMO 32 is hurt by the Aunt May inset. Id rather just see Spidey going beserk and that badguy running away...maybe add May lying on the floor unconscious in the forground. Or doing a Robin shock pose or something!!

ASM21 or 29 or 32. Romita is a phenomenal artist, but it took him a while to get the hang of Spider-Man being like a Spider, man.

Ditko blows.

Ditko drew UGLY people. I hate that most of the Spidey characters were first drawn by Ditko, because they have kept that same basic look for all these years.

That's probably the reason they never let him draw MJ, because they wanted at least one hot chick in the title. They waited until he left before letting a real artist chisel her out.

Ditko is only definitive because he was the first.

His stuff looks like it was done by a third grader next to Romita's work.

Comparing Ditko to Romita is like comparing Rob Liefeld with Dave Stevens. No contest.

sign-rantpost.gif

IMO 32 is hurt by the Aunt May inset.

Well, that, and because Ditko drew some grotesquely proportioned forearms for Spidey which are thicker than his head. 893whatthe.gif

Probably the most shocking cover of the mid silver-age among major superhero titles.

One of my top 10 all time marvel covers.

cloud9.gif

If you're talking about composition, action, drama etc....they're both at the top of the heap....but I'd lean towards 39.

If you're talking about scan quality, they both bite. Hard.

I can't even them to load more than 40% of the way! frustrated.gif

Ditko blows.

Ditko drew UGLY people. I hate that most of the Spidey characters were first drawn by Ditko, because they have kept that same basic look for all these years.

That's probably the reason they never let him draw MJ, because they wanted at least one hot chick in the title. They waited until he left before letting a real artist chisel her out.

Ditko is only definitive because he was the first.

His stuff looks like it was done by a third grader next to Romita's work.

Comparing Ditko to Romita is like comparing Rob Liefeld with Dave Stevens. No contest.

sign-rantpost.gif

I KNOW youre just saying that to be difficult!!! Romita would die hapy if he drew one cover as skillfully as ASM 21 for just one example... Theres not one ugly Diko woman on there... just staggeringly stylish and sleek anatomy and layout. sheesh. They didnt not LET him draw MJ, he QUIT. It probably was in Stan's mind to use Romita next because he drew women so well, but overall, for me and many others it was a losing trade: Losing Ditko's style for Romita's cute faces but bland vanilla layouts. Romita is the Curt Swan of Marvel. 'Nice' artist, just not one for the ages though...