• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Person of Interest

42 posts in this topic

So I know it's not exactly a comic book show or anything, but it's a killer sci-fi show that masquerades as a police procedural. Am I the only one that loves this show? Theres been more mythology & plot progression in this show in 4 seasons than I've seen in most other shows in 10. It's one of the most densely plotted shows I've ever watched & I'm kinda surprised that there's no thread for this show already.

It should totally have its own thread. It's the Batman Family & good Skynet vs the NSA, Anonymous, the mob, a Bond villain & bad Skynet.

Everything about this show is brilliant. And it's the best Batman show on tv that isn't a Batman show.

So I know it's not exactly a comic book show or anything, but it's a killer sci-fi show that masquerades as a police procedural. Am I the only one that loves this show? Theres been more mythology & plot progression in this show in 4 seasons than I've seen in most other shows in 10. It's one of the most densely plotted shows I've ever watched & I'm kinda surprised that there's no thread for this show already.

It should totally have its own thread. It's the Batman Family & good Skynet vs the NSA, Anonymous, the mob, a Bond villain & bad Skynet.

Everything about this show is brilliant. And it's the best Batman show on tv that isn't a Batman show.

Never heard of it but I love procedurals and also sci-fi. A favorite that only lasted a season was ALMOST HUMAN. I'm gonna give this a gander.

(thumbs u I told a friend at lunch a few weeks back: "It's Batman without the suit."

He's the one who had recommended it to me and said he'd never thought of it like that. But I could see the light go on. And it's true. Oracle. Batman. Secret helpers working the cause. Victims saved, perps busted, a legend grows.

For a 'network show' it's really well done.

Been a huge fan for a long time (haven't seen season 4 yet though). :headbang:

FWIW, I think it would appeal to other fans of LOST and FRINGE.

Probably my favorite 3 sci-fi shows in the last few decades.

I don't really get the batman angle though. The uniqueness of the film and characters, IMO, stands on its own.

hmmm.... hm the more I think about it, I can kind of see the Batman Family angle. I guess it also reminds me a bit of the Matrix in an indirect way.

John Reese (Jim Caviezel) owns that "Batman voice" all the Batman-movie actors try to fake.

Calm-gritty-whisper of badassery.

Yep. I definitely agree there. He is badass, and unlike dozens of other wannabees, doesn't come across as fake. What's odd is that he hasn't really matched the persona on the big screen ( think Escape Plan).

Just finished the first episode and did like it. My only hope is the regular cast broadens into a more ensemble cast, which I think is going to develop. Starting ep 2 now.

It does - has the best cast of any show I've seen in a long time.

It gets better with every episode, each season.

Just finished the first episode and did like it. My only hope is the regular cast broadens into a more ensemble cast, which I think is going to develop. Starting ep 2 now.

Yeah. The cast definitely broadens in a very organic way. And it's really all connected in really cool way that somehow even the "case of the week" episodes somehow manage to push the overall plot forward.

I have been so happy that this show is now on Netflix & in syndication (until September 1st, you couldn't watch seasons 1-4 except via DVD/Blu Ray) because it's definitely a show that you can connect things on better when watching in binge mode. Not only that, but I hope it can reach a bigger audience by being available for people to get caught up on. I know some people probably skipped it when it was initially starting because it was promoted as yet another police procedural type on a network that really ONLY does procedural type shows (and reality tv) for old people.

(thumbs u I told a friend at lunch a few weeks back: "It's Batman without the suit."

He's the one who had recommended it to me and said he'd never thought of it like that. But I could see the light go on. And it's true. Oracle. Batman. Secret helpers working the cause. Victims saved, perps busted, a legend grows.

For a 'network show' it's really well done.

Not only that, but it has the same Batman tropes from the comics. Where one week he's worried about some mobster and the next, it's Killer Croc and the next it's a different mobster or some regular human killer. And it manages to balance that gritty real-world street crime right along with the fantastical comic book esque crime & make it believable & like a Batman that doesn't lose that connection to the street level crime that he started tackling in the first place while still fighting crazy super villains at the same time.

Been watching since it started, best show on TV.

Halfway through season 4, it just gets better with every season.

Sad to have learned that they are only making 13 episodes for Season 5 and they are treating it as their last because the stupid network haven't told them any different.

I think the syndication & Netflix availability is going to help draw new viewers in for this truncated season 5. Especially since it's hitting Netflix NOW & the show doesn't come back until after the new year. This will give people time to binge the first 4 seasons & get caught up so that they can enjoy season 5 instead of needing to try to knock them all out in a week or 2 before a new Fall season would be starting.

So this could end up growing the show. At least, that's my hope.

I'm going through both POI and Gotham on Netflix and (imho 2c ) POI seems about 10-tics higher on the quality-scale than Gotham (so far).

There was a scene in Gotham where gangsters are attacking a prisoner transport van. Outside multiple shotguns are going off, officers dropping like flies, so inside what does the cop do? He stands up and positions himself at the doors so when they open all the gangsters can shoot him in the guts.

:facepalm: In that moment it felt like Gotham was insulting my intelligence, especially compared to the POI episode I'd watched right before. I mean, come on, no human on earth would behave like that cop did. It's insulting.

Anyway, I've noticed that "Bad Robot" logo appears on a lot of shows I think are higher quality. Sharper writing, stronger plotting, things like that. That's J. J. Abrams' outfit, right? It's just something I keep noticing as time goes by.

Yeah, Bad Robot is JJ Abram's company. If you ever look at the writers & producers on his shows, he's got a lot of crossover with Kurtzman & Orci's TV offerings as well as Joss Whedon's tv shows. There's a lot of bouncing back and forth of writers & producers between those 3 groups of showrunners. Lots of writers/producers that go a start on Firefly/Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse, then worked on LOST, Fringe, PoI, Sleepy Hollow and others, as well as movies. It's almost astounding. Like all of those shows just use the same dozen or so writers.

Interesting. Thanks. (thumbs u Well, I'm glad my friend recommended it and I'm glad you started this thread. POI deserves to be 'discovered' and enjoyed.

The main overall thing it tells me is Network promo efforts suck. Except for my friend I'd never heard of the show, 4 years in. And I guess it tells me quality-creators are on their own to get the word out.

I guess that leaves Netflix a mile-wide opening to snatch up quality fare Networks drop the ball on, then keep producing new seasons as viewership increases. (they just did this with Longmire, another show I've enjoyed)

Yeah, Bad Robot is JJ Abram's company. If you ever look at the writers & producers on his shows, he's got a lot of crossover with Kurtzman & Orci's TV offerings as well as Joss Whedon's tv shows. There's a lot of bouncing back and forth of writers & producers between those 3 groups of showrunners. Lots of writers/producers that go a start on Firefly/Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse, then worked on LOST, Fringe, PoI, Sleepy Hollow and others, as well as movies. It's almost astounding. Like all of those shows just use the same dozen or so writers.

Also, don't forget POI was created by Jonathon Nolan, younger brother of Christopher Nolan, and co-writer of stories like the Prestige and Dark Knight.

They re filming the last few episodes now and then its done, has to all be struck by the end of November. I worked on it for a little the first season, then was offered to run the job last season, but I had to turn it down.