• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 134 or Forever People 1...?

23 posts in this topic

I would like to ask the board here, what would you consider the importance between the first cameo appearance of Darkseid..(Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 134) or first full appearance...(the Forever People 1). In which case, what one would you choose between the cameo or f.f.p.?

Looking at GPA, JO 134 last 9.2 sale was 900.00 which was this month. Last FP1 in 9.2 was $379.00 also from this month.

Although JO 134 is just a cameo appearance, there are far fewer of them out there in comparison to FP1 (at least from my searching). Plus, Neal Adams did the cover of the Jimmy book, even though Darkseid isn't on the cover.

I am always on the lookout for the Jimmy book, not so on the FP.

You might also consider New Gods 2, which I believe is the first cover appearance of DS. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

2c

Looking at GPA, JO 134 last 9.2 sale was 900.00 which was this month. Last FP1 in 9.2 was $379.00 also from this month.

Although JO 134 is just a cameo appearance, there are far fewer of them out there in comparison to FP1 (at least from my searching). Plus, Neal Adams did the cover of the Jimmy book, even though Darkseid isn't on the cover.

You might also consider New Gods 2, which I believe is the first cover appearance of DS. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

2c

..... fandom wasn't as organized in the early 70s and JO134 kind of snuck under the radar.... so it would be more scarce, relatively. The Kirby D.C. #1's were hoarded.... but not by today's standards. Personally, I like both of them. The covers on each are favorites of mine but are too different to really choose one over the other...... but FP 1 really seems to be growing on me..... and Darkseid really is a citizen of Fourth World proper. Finding a bone white cover on FP 1 that is not miscut isn't an easy proposition . If you dig Darkseid then you should really get both. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... raw copies of each can still be snagged reasonably .

2c

..... fandom wasn't as organized in the early 70s and JO134 kind of snuck under the radar.... so it would be more scarce, relatively. The Kirby D.C. #1's were hoarded.... but not by today's standards. Personally, I like both of them. The covers on each are favorites of mine but are too different to really choose one over the other...... but FP 1 really seems to be growing on me..... and Darkseid really is a citizen of Fourth World proper. Finding a bone white cover on FP 1 that is not miscut isn't an easy proposition . If you dig Darkseid then you should really get both. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... raw copies of each can still be snagged reasonably .

What he said :)

I love the cover on JO134 (one of my favorites) but also love the fact that FP1 was a Kirby - both cool books. I somewhat regret selling my FP1 - but it was used to buy other books I wanted more :)

I rescued my copy of FP1 from a non collector and low FB eBayer. Got it for about 23 bucks and it would grade out around a 5.0 probably.

I have not been fortunate enough to find a reasonably priced Jimmy Olsen 134 or 135 but did pick up a mid grade 136 for 5 bucks. I have cooled my jets on the whole fourth world stuff as I have all the Kirby related FP, NG, MM, Kamandi, Omac, and a couple of Demons. Just can't justify the prices for the 134 for my collection. Would love to have it but not willing to pony up the kind of money it is getting.

I really only picked up the JO 136 because I liked the hulk like JO cover and I had a few other books I was getting from that buyer so it lowered the cost by combined shipping.

The consensus so far I'm get from this thread is that JO 134 is more important than 135 which is also only a cameo and TFP #1 full appearance is secondary.

By that line of logic, you are basically saying Incredible Hulk 180(last page, one full panel) is more of value than Hulk 181(full appearance). Which is not then....??

I ask you why the difference......

What I don't understand is Avengers 55 over 54. Ultron's face can be seen in the end of 54. But on the other side of the coin MOS 17 vs MOS 18, in 17 all you see is Doomsday's arm. I never really try to make sense of any of this. I just think the market picks a book and runs with it.

134 hands down for me :sumo:

Love all J Kirby 4th world stuff and have all the keys

I think 135 is a sleeper because it sneaks in there before FP1 and New Gods 1

For me I would .....and I do want all of Darkseid keys because he is the best DC Villain (cosmic fan here) and bound to be on the big screen at some point. Just one of those many characters who have multiple key books.

Jimmy 134

Jimmy 135

FP 1

NG 1

The consensus so far I'm get from this thread is that JO 134 is more important than 135 which is also only a cameo and TFP #1 full appearance is secondary.

By that line of logic, you are basically saying Incredible Hulk 180(last page, one full panel) is more of value than Hulk 181(full appearance). Which is not then....??

I ask you why the difference......

The difference, based on my understanding of the stories, is that while Darkseid only appears as a cameo in JO, he's still part of the story as the figure behind the scenes, whereas the Wolvie cameo was more a tease for what was coming up in the next issue, and not integral to the main story of 180. But then MOS doesn't fit that pattern. Of course, the print run for both cameos make a difference. Everything is a factor, and how all of the various factors work with each other makes most situations of a first appearance unique (with the exception of when a character first appears in the full story, leaving no debate).

I think the cover is about a big an issue as anything.

When the cover "introduces" the character in a big splash it really ramps up the factor as to it being the first appearance as defined by price

Hulk 181 vs 180

New Mutants 87 (86 Cable is shown as "coming next issues")

Xmen 266 vs Annual 14

X Factor 24 vs 23

XFactor 6 vs 5

ASM 300 vs 298 299 or Web 18(?)

Xmen 109 then 120 then 121 is an interesting one too.

Hulk 271 vs MP 7

When 1st and 2nd appearances don't include the cover then it becomes really different. This happened as publishers ramp up the teasers too.

Teen Titans 2, 3-5

JO 134 135 NG1 FP 1

HIM/Warlock

Iron Man 55 to a point.

Iron Man 55 it is a clear 1st appearance. I think it helps that it wasn't followed by an Iron Man 56 with some massive Thanos v Ironman (or Destroyer) battle cover. Imagine if Phoenix wasn't on the cover of Xmen 101 and had some crappy airplane crash cover. Arguably Xmen 100 would then be equal to 101 as a two part Phoenix story. Maybe not, but it highlights how the cover defining the character becomes the defacto 1st appearance and also an instant classic cover.

Add in tryouts or human before superhero or costume but not superhero all make it interesting and subject to changes of opinion.

I think the cover is about a big an issue as anything.

When the cover "introduces" the character in a big splash it really ramps up the factor as to it being the first appearance as defined by price

Hulk 181 vs 180

New Mutants 87 (86 Cable is shown as "coming next issues")

Xmen 266 vs Annual 14

X Factor 24 vs 23

XFactor 6 vs 5

ASM 300 vs 298 299 or Web 18(?)

Xmen 109 then 120 then 121 is an interesting one too.

Hulk 271 vs MP 7

When 1st and 2nd appearances don't include the cover then it becomes really different. This happened as publishers ramp up the teasers too.

Teen Titans 2, 3-5

JO 134 135 NG1 FP 1

HIM/Warlock

Iron Man 55 to a point.

Iron Man 55 it is a clear 1st appearance. I think it helps that it wasn't followed by an Iron Man 56 with some massive Thanos v Ironman (or Destroyer) battle cover. Imagine if Phoenix wasn't on the cover of Xmen 101 and had some crappy airplane crash cover. Arguably Xmen 100 would then be equal to 101 as a two part Phoenix story. Maybe not, but it highlights how the cover defining the character becomes the defacto 1st appearance and also an instant classic cover.

Add in tryouts or human before superhero or costume but not superhero all make it interesting and subject to changes of opinion.

:golfclap: well said

I would like to ask the board here, what would you consider the importance between the first cameo appearance of Darkseid..(Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 134) or first full appearance...(the Forever People 1). In which case, what one would you choose between the cameo or f.f.p.?

They are both great books for their stories, not necessarily for Darkseid which is revealed gradually so they hold importance, but not just for this.

All the Fourth World is worth having, maybe Forever People and Mr. Miracle are the less accomplished ones, but still the saga "ends" (is interrupted) with the last issue of Mr. Miracle, where Darkseid "drops in" at the marriage of Scott Free and Big Barda. :)