• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know when "Marvel chipping" came to an end?

36 posts in this topic

"Marvel chipping" coming to an end?

For front covers: I believe Marvel Chipping begins near the top of the right edge, and ends near the bottom of the right edge. I do not think it can continue below the bottom of the edge, because there is no paper there to be chipped.

Was referring to the time period (month/year) when Marvel chipping ended.

Umm, :jokealert:

:sorry:

From what I've seen in the past 20+ years, ASM 7 (Dec 1963 publishing date) was the last book in the run to have chipping. I don't recall seeing many Spidey books from #8 on (or any 1964 and on Marvels) with chipping. Same for FF as issue 20 (Nov 63) seems to be the last of the chipped issues in that run. Hulk 1-6 all have chipping. So, 1961-1963 seem to be the "chipping" era. :)

With very few exceptions-like the ASM 33-I completely agree with this statement. For whatever reason, the "Dec. 1963" issues seem to be the point of departure for MC. JIM 99, ST 115, and TOS 48 would fit this scenario as well.

I was just looking at ASM 33's on ebay, and it seems that about 25% or so have traditional chipping or pre-chipping tears. Just a one-off issue that has the defect, as I can't recall any other 2/66 books being prone to it. Perhaps a blade that needed changed was used at the time?

I can't think of any 1966 books off the top of my head that are prone to chipping either but I am sure there are some.

JIM #112 has chipping fairly often I think and that's a 1965 book. I've seen little chips even on 9.6 copies.

I think the real point here is that chipping narrowed down to a specific issue or title but to a paper type and a publisher - and I'd narrow that down to mostly paper type as I believe DC used the same publisher during the early to mid 1960's but a different type of paper.

From what I've seen in the past 20+ years, ASM 7 (Dec 1963 publishing date) was the last book in the run to have chipping. I don't recall seeing many Spidey books from #8 on (or any 1964 and on Marvels) with chipping. Same for FF as issue 20 (Nov 63) seems to be the last of the chipped issues in that run. Hulk 1-6 all have chipping. So, 1961-1963 seem to be the "chipping" era. :)

I'm an FF guy and that's what I was thinking, issue 20 was the last one.

But boy did it go out with a chipping bang, I had to search for a long time to find one with no traces of pre chips.

But boy did it go out with a chipping bang, I had to search for a long time to find one with no traces of pre chips.

Just to pinpoint a bit more, FF 20 would have been an August release and ASM 7 followed in September 1963.

Just to pinpoint a bit more, FF 20 would have been an August release and ASM 7 followed in September 1963.

This makes sense. Another issue known to be flawed with frequent chipping is TTA #48, with an October, 1963 cover date (and a July release date).

I'm surprised to learn that people have seen lots of examples of ASM #33 with chipping. In my experience, it's commonly miswrapped front to back, but I don't think I've ever seen a chipped copy.

absolutely correct. So by Fall 1963 we would have seen the chipping stop from most Marvels at that time.

I recall seeing a few stragglers past '63...... some of the FF's from '64 I've seen with a degree of chipping, but not the gnarly stuff from the earlier period. I've always been curious about the motivations behind Marvel's switch from Eastern to World...... the other QP issues mostly went away with the switch, such as the misplaced staples, miswraps, and trapezoid books.... but I doubt QP was the sole reason for the switch. Maybe it was as simple as price per unit, or even a logistics decision, as Sparta is much more centrally located for a Nationwide distribution hub. I wonder if Stan would even remember ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I recall seeing a few stragglers past '63...... some of the FF's from '64 I've seen with a degree of chipping, but not the gnarly stuff from the earlier period. I've always been curious about the motivations behind Marvel's switch from Eastern to World...... the other QP issues mostly went away with the switch, such as the misplaced staples, miswraps, and trapezoid books.... but I doubt QP was the sole reason for the switch. Maybe it was as simple as price per unit, or even a logistics decision, as Sparta is much more centrally located for a Nationwide distribution hub. I wonder if Stan would even remember ? GOD BLESS....

good points Jimbo. In fact, I may recall seeing an Avengers 4 or FF 25 with a chip here or there..

This makes sense. Another issue known to be flawed with frequent chipping is TTA #48, with an October, 1963 cover date (and a July release date).

I'm surprised to learn that people have seen lots of examples of ASM #33 with chipping. In my experience, it's commonly miswrapped front to back, but I don't think I've ever seen a chipped copy.

There are many examples of Marvel chipping on ASM #33

I thought exactly the same thing.

Daredevil #7 is a 4/65 book but chipping is common.

Pre chipping I'm not sure about (as in tears but with pieces hanging) but I do know complete chips missing is a very common defect.

Daredevil #7 is a 4/65 book but chipping is common.

Pre chipping I'm not sure about (as in tears but with pieces hanging) but I do know complete chips missing is a very common defect.

Yep. DD7 falls into the same category as the ASM 33s do. Past the prime of Marvel Chipping, but for whatever reason have the affliction, which for the record, doesn't bother me at all.

Yes, I have seen stragglers beyond 1963 as well, even in the ASM run. I have seen and owned copies of ASM #9 with some Marvel Chipping, for example.