• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL MOVES BACK INTO 7-11s

53 posts in this topic

I do remember when there were many "comics are doomed" threads running rampant through the forum one of the things discussed was something along the lines of we really didn't know what major event could trigger the next big readership increase and finally save the hobby. Not saying this is it, but one thing mentioned was that it was possible comics could be sold again in the corner store. And I also remember some members mentioning/believing it would never happen.

Well, now it's happened. And just like, who would have thought the internet and CGC grading would do so much for the hobby, I am hoping in a few years we can all say who would have thought Marvel getting into the 7-11's .......

Well, you get the idea.

Well done Marvel.

This is very good news indead. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Man, that's great news. The 7-11 on Alamance Rd. in Burlington, NC, was where I'd go and get my weekly/monthly comic fix when I lived there. Sadly, it's now a Circle K. frown.gif

Wow! you just brought back some serious memories!

My StepDad Use to own a 76 Gas Station in Burlington right next to that 7-11 and the clerk use to let me read some of the books there... Gas Stations are kind of boring so I use to hang at the 7-11 when I would go see my Mom over summer break...

Small World eh?

I do remember when there were many "comics are doomed" threads running rampant through the forum one of the things discussed was something along the lines of we really didn't know what major event could trigger the next big readership increase and finally save the hobby. Not saying this is it, but one thing mentioned was that it was possible comics could be sold again in the corner store.

As I said in the similar thread in the "Modern Comics" forum, improved distribution only tackles part of the problem - it is a "necessary, but not sufficient" condition to reverse the secular decline in comic book readership. It would be a mistake to think that just because a lot of us Forum members used to buy comics at the local 7-11 that today's kids will follow suit. I remember vividly buying comics off the 7-11 spinner rack in the early 1980s. But, hey, guess what? Comics were only 60 cents back then and provided good "done-in-one" stories (in any case, no longer than 4 issue storyarcs) and each issue took longer than the 5 minutes it takes to read today's issues. And, we didn't have the Internet or DVDs and comics still provided good entertainment value relative to videogames back then.

I think you have to ask yourself - if you were a kid today, would you plunk down between $2.25 and $3.50 of your work or allowance money at the local 7-11 to buy something that takes 5 minutes to read, knowing that you'll have to repeat that process 5 times to read a single complete storyline? And would you respond enthusiastically to the types of storylines and artwork that are being produced today? Or would you continue to get your superhero fix through movies, DVDs, videogames and perhaps the occasional TPB from the local Barnes & Noble?

Times have changed in the more than 2 decades since I was buying Byrne FFs, Simonson Thors, Claremont X-Men and those classic early G.I Joe issues off the 7-11 spinner rack. There's more competition out there for ones' entertainment dollar - for this distribution deal to truly make an impact, it needs to be accompanied by delivering more value in a better packaged format. Merely targeting kids with "all ages" titles with manga-esque art isn't going to reel in large numbers of new young readers (note to Marvel: we are not in Japan). A good alternative might be producing those more durable and meatier 64+ page squarebound issues or thicker digest-sized volumes sold at convenience stores/newsstands in Europe. Something that delivers more than 5 minutes of reading pleasure at a time and at a reasonable price point. And the more expensive glossy paper and decompressed storylines need to be taken out for maximum impact (and editors need to clamp down on 893censored-thumb.gif artists and find talent whose work will appeal to more than just a narrow section of existing readers).

Failure to recognize that the market has changed since comics were last sold in large numbers in convenience stores is only going to lead to there being a lot of beat-up, unsold copies at these 7-11s and that is not good for anyone. I wish Marvel would recognize that. Instead, there is the risk that a distribution deal like this falls flat on its face and Marvel and DC decide that the present distribution system is all that they really need (which isn't true).

Flame me all you want, but it's not going to change the business realities of the situation. I would be thrilled to see comics sold in quantity at 7-11s and reaching new readers across the country. However, I don't think the current state of the comic product (in terms of content, packaging and pricing) is going to appeal to a mass readership. I hope Marvel figures this out sooner rather than later.

Before the insults start getting tossed my way for pointing out the obvious shortcomings of this situation, I think people need to recognize that lot of you don't even read new comics anymore (while still others prefer to get their new comic fix in TPB format). Ask yourself: what gives?

Chances are that today's artists don't appeal to you, or you don't think comics represent good entertainment value for the money at $2.99 a pop, or you think this trend towards "realism" in comics is taking the fun out of them, or you're not a big fan of drawn-out, decompressed storylines or, most likely, that "they just don't make comics like they used to in the '60s/'70s/'80s when I was growing up and buying comics off the 7-11 spinner rack". Well, hey, guess what? If a dyed-in-the-wool comic fan like yourself, who spends a lot of time on a comic book message board, isn't buying new books for these reasons, what makes you think that today's youth audience is going to start flocking to storylines like "Sins Past" or "Avengers Disassembled" just because they start showing up at their local 7-11? confused-smiley-013.gif

"I'll have a Slurpee, a Big Gulp and the latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man because I want to see if Spidey's old girlfriend really did put out for the Green Goblin." foreheadslap.gif

Apparently Marvel has at least thought about different products being required for this different distribution channel. Did you read the article?

Arad said that Marvel has developed a product for this market. Sources at Marvel told Newsarama that the company’s “Marvel Adventures” line will be the backbone of the 7-11 deal, with other comics included as well.

I agree with you by the way on the packaging issue: Maybe now would be the time to revisit the Giant-Size or 80-Page format, with the new Marvel Adventures kid-friendly stories backed up by classic short story reprints like Ditko's Dr. Strange and Steranko's Nick Fury. I know DC's 100 Page format of the early 1970s is what hooked me into being not only a new issue consumer, but also a back-issue collector. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm really glad to hear this! Giving people more acess to comics can only be a good thing. There are still a number of smaller cities and towns that either have no comic book stores, or have populations too low to support a LCS. Good move, hope the other publishers fall in line with this. Get the number of readers back up.

Apparently Marvel has at least thought about different products being required for this different distribution channel. Did you read the article?

Yes, I read the article - that's why I wrote: "Merely targeting kids with "all ages" titles with manga-esque art isn't going to reel in large numbers of new young readers."

I took a look at the new "Marvel Adventures" Spider-Man #1 at my LCS last night. I just don't see kids wanting to plunk down $2.50 for this, either at an LCS or at a 7-11. Thankfully there were actually some words on the pages instead of the usual Bendis-type 893censored-thumb.gif, but neither the artwork or story looked like something that was going to hook the kiddies in. If Marvel wants to do faux-manga with "soft" themes (teen romance, etc.) that appeal to a younger crowd, then they should go all the way and deliver the value that manga does - lots of pages for their limited budgets. Use cheaper paper and go B&W if you have to. Put a complete story in an expanded volume. How many kids are going to want to plunk down $10-$15 and make numerous trips to their 7-11 just to read one storyline? confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree with you by the way on the packaging issue: Maybe now would be the time to revisit the Giant-Size or 80-Page format, with the new Marvel Adventures kid-friendly stories backed up by classic short story reprints like Ditko's Dr. Strange and Steranko's Nick Fury. I know DC's 100 Page format of the early 1970s is what hooked me into being not only a new issue consumer, but also a back-issue collector.

Good points. Without delivering better value and packaging, all Marvel has done is put a product with limited appeal into new markets. That's not going to turn the comic book market around.

to reverse the secular decline in comic book readership

I'm not going to flame you, Gene, or rebut each statement you made. I dont think this will be a slam dunk either. And I hope Marvel locked them into a 2 year deal, because early on the unsold books will be piling up and looking seedy (I HAVEN'T read the article, are the comics returnable? if so, strike that comment.) It will take time for comics to be noticed and have a chance at attracting new readers in 7-11s... so any expectations of instant success will NOT be met.

But I DO want to ask what the meaning of "secular" is in that sentence I quoted you on. To my mind, there has only been an overall Decline in comics readership, or is the clergy still avidly buying comics as always?

are the comics returnable?
The article doesn't explicitly say, but I would be ASTOUNDED if 7-11 ever agreed to eat unsold inventory, which is the foundation of the direct market: transfer the risk to the retailers. Instead, as I speculated on the other thread in Modern, Marvel is likely using this as a loss leader to try to attract new readers. They'll certainly lose money on the deal as lots of books will be shipped back. (Remember back in the pre-Direct days roughly 50% of the print run was routinely returned unsold.)

But I DO want to ask what the meaning of "secular" is in that sentence

Wall Street-ism. Secular means a fundamental trend versus a cyclical blip. Auto stocks go through cyclical ups and downs. But (to use the old Econ 101 example) buggy whips have been in secular decline for over a hundred years.

i think the 100 pagers with reprints and cheaper paper is a good idea

but remember, it's not just kids who buy comics at a 7-11. it can also be parents who buy some comics for their kids on the way home, etc. my friend who ran an LCS basically sold his overstock to a local newstand/candy store at a little above wholesale. the newstand didn't want to deal with the hassles of buying them through his distributor. the parent who would never go into a comic shop may pick up some comics for their kids (particularly if they look kid friendly) while they're getting a newspaper/smokes/coffee.

will this boost readership? we'll see.

i've always thought the 7-11 idea was a good one, but that Marvel, etc. should set up comic vending machines. That way they don't have to deal with damaged merchandise, theft, etc.

i've always thought the 7-11 idea was a good one, but that Marvel, etc. should set up comic vending machines. That way they don't have to deal with damaged merchandise, theft, etc.

thumbsup2.gif I've also thought the vending machine concept would be perfect for movie theater lobbies, airports, or any place where people (esp. kids) are stuck waiting

I tin tat the 100 page books that Marvel experimented with over the last few years would be ideal. They could even knock the price down a bit if it is non-returnable.

Newstands at train stations and airports are the next logical step.

Now comes the big question-Are you willing to support this expeiment by buying a few books at your local 7-11? I am.

"Now comes the big question-Are you willing to support this expeiment by buying a few books at your local 7-11? I am."

Tough call. Not if they're "Marvel Adventures" type manga/kiddy stuff

At least not until Ms. Blob births a little bloblette and baby blob is old enough for comics (about 2 years old is a good time to get them started).

... and each issue took longer than the 5 minutes it takes to read today's issues.

Given your level of education and age, yes it takes you ( and a select few on here tongue.gif )about 5 minutes to read, but if we are talking about teenagers today and their relative level of comprehension and literacy, I'd be amazed if they'd get through the comic in a week... smirk.gifboo.gif

I think it's a great idea, now I can buy my Maxim, Stuff, FHM, and some comics at the same place. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, but if you were a kid on a limited budget, would you pick up Maxim, FHM, Stuff or...Marvel Adventures Spider-Man??? Yeah, me too.

I think it's a great idea, now I can buy my Maxim, Stuff, FHM, and some comics at the same place. 893applaud-thumb.gif

One of the LCS in the Philly area sells all of the above mags, and some other ones as well. blush.gif

"Now comes the big question-Are you willing to support this expeiment by buying a few books at your local 7-11? I am."

Tough call. Not if they're "Marvel Adventures" type manga/kiddy stuff

At least not until Ms. Blob births a little bloblette and baby blob is old enough for comics (about 2 years old is a good time to get them started).

This will only really be beneficial if it creates NEW readers. Simply buying a book at 7-11 rather than your LCS won't help much.