• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November 2015 Heritage Signature Auction Thread
1 1

630 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-Man #39 3 page sequence

page 17 - $40,630.00

page 18 - $89,625.00

page 19 - $62,737.50

almost $193K

Wonder if someone won all 3

They all will end up on Burkeys site.

lol

:jokealert:

actually i didnt get any of them... they all went too high...even for me!!! YIKES!!!

Amazing Spider-Man #98 - $179,250.00 final hammer.

What does everyone think? less than 1/2 of the Green Lantern #76 Adams cover.

I like the GL/GA at least 2x as much by artist and composition, so it seems to make sense, especially since GL/GA #76 is a stronger book than Amazing Spider-Man #98 as a published comic book too, in many collector's eyes.

These prices are easy to look at and compare to one another but if you really sit back and think about it, the GL/GA is the cost of buying a house in most non-metropolitan cities and at least half a home in major metros like LA, SF, etc. - - and the Amazing Spider-Man price can buy you a home in most rural towns outright. Lots of cash for a few oz of paper that 'til recently probably didn't cost an arm and a leg, so I'd imagine the sellers are experiencing huge return on investment profits... Congrats to the sellers for pulling money off the table!

Amazing Spider-Man #59 with MJ go-go dancing went for $20K. Not twice up like pages from #39

59 is twice up, I believe.

No its just at the start of the change over to standard size. Listed in auction as "The page is produced in ink over blue pencil on Bristol board with an image area of 10" x 15""

the last twice up INTERIOR asm issue is #53! :)

Really surprised to hear some folks saying this was a soft auction. Sure, a few lots didn't hit their numbers (like the Peanuts stuff) but most material did pretty darned well. Today's oa sales garnered more than yesterday's books did. Not by much, but it still speaks well for our little hobby.

A lot of stuff surprised me on the upside. I'm talking about FF #123, Hulk #156, GL #76, Logan's Run #6, the Barks duck page, and many other lots. Considering that we've still got CLink & DocDave's events coming, I'd say this is a very strong auction cycle indeed.

I also think we have a few more guys are getting serious about their acquisition goals. 2016 should be an interesting year to be a comic art collector!

Green Lantern #76 cover colour guide - $9560. WOW!!!!!

Highest price for a colour guide?

I'd assume the buyer of the original cover had to buy the color guide to have the complete set of the original art process. OR it could be the runner up non-winner of the original art cover who just wanted to go home with something and it got bid up between the same two vying for the GL/GA #76 cover.

I'd be surprised if anyone else but the top 2 bidder were the ones pushing that price up of essentially a colored small copy of the cover which doesn't even look too remarkable to command nearly $10k.

Amazing Spider-Man #39 3 page sequence

page 17 - $40,630.00

page 18 - $89,625.00

page 19 - $62,737.50

almost $193K

Wonder if someone won all 3

They all will end up on Burkeys site.

lol

:jokealert:

actually i didnt get any of them... they all went too high...even for me!!! YIKES!!!

Winner of page 19 is OA dabbler (albeit at the upper-end of the hobby!).

People eating sandwiches and drinking coffee, it seemed casual.

When I went to a Heritage Auction to bid in person, they did a nice job providing food and beverage while the auction was occurring. A really nice touch by Heritage.

The Amazing Spider-Man 185 cover went for $19K ...

considering all the paste-up work on it, anyone surprised at that price? should it have gone higher/lower??

That is really high for an almost all paste-up cover.

the only thing stat on this cover was the spiderman head.... which is that way because it was a Romita head stat!

I'd assume the buyer of the original cover had to buy the color guide to have the complete set of the original art process.

Already posted that the winner of the cover did not get the color guide. I suspect there was some punishment bidding going on. Or perhaps the winner thought he'd have something to hold over the cover owner (as wormboy suggested). If that's the case, all ll I can say is...good luck.

Personally, I think color guides are fun novelties and it's cool to have them to go along with the actual art. But hardly essential.

Or perhaps the winner thought he'd have something to hold over the cover owner (as wormboy suggested). If that's the case, all ll I can say is...good luck.

Yeah. This is like Monopoly, when the owner of Mediterranean and Baltic thinks he's got leverage on the guy with Boardwalk and Park Place ;)

Or perhaps the winner thought he'd have something to hold over the cover owner (as wormboy suggested). If that's the case, all ll I can say is...good luck.

Yeah. This is like Monopoly, when the owner of Mediterranean and Baltic thinks he's got leverage on the guy with Boardwalk and Park Place ;)

lol

Open Letter to Boris Vallejo:

Please immediately destroy all your "private" naughty art. We do not need to see it while you`re living or after you pass away. Seeing Fraz's was bad enough.It makes my eyes bleed.

Signed: A Semi-Fan of Good Art

FTFY

Edited by tth2

Please immediately destroy all your "private" naughty art. We do not need to see it while you`re living or after you pass away. Seeing Fraz's was bad enough.It makes my eyes bleed.

FTFY

So over the top lol

He's done many pieces any illustrator would be proud of. And some cringeworthy ones like daredevil, there's no doubt.

Peanuts seems to have dropped . . .

Yeah, from insanely :censored:ing expensive to just insanely expensive.

Good! No movie factor here hm

Id love to pick up a 50s example one day if they drop some more.

lol

lol lol

Well said vodou :insane:

FTFY

So over the top lol

He's done many pieces any illustrator would be proud of. And some cringeworthy ones like daredevil, there's no doubt.

I've decided that the Daredevil is my favorite Boris piece.

No one is answering my query about the Bruce Timm market. I'm not trying to be snarky at all, I think Timm is talented. But based on this result, 8300. for an average looking panel page it seems like he's hotter than Kirby or Toth. Is Batman Adventures an important book now?