• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November 2015 Heritage Signature Auction Thread
1 1

630 posts in this topic

Mike and Gene, you know I love you both but for what it's worth (and i'm a huge Spidey guy)

the GL #76 is simply incredible to me. That run was all about "relevance" and challenging

the socio-economic/political norms of the day usually by way of angry Ollie slapping

around golden boy Hal. This dynamic runs through every single issue of that run. So

the cover with GA shooting the Arrow through GL's Lantern is quite simply the perfect

representation of that symbolically (and in this way an improvement over the original

unpublished version). Such a thoughtful composition and as it's purely symbolic and never

actually happens in the issue, it's one of the few pieces that sways towards contemporary

art as opposed to the garden-variety comic cover with a dramatic action scene inspired by one of the interior pages.

Just thought i'd chime in,

Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

Hey Ken :hi:

Totally hear what you're saying, though I think much of what you say strengthens my argument as well. Like you said, this is as much about the run and its relevance and how this cover captures that, with the other part being its thoughtful composition and how it embodies/symbolizes the challenging nature of the run. All of which I am totally on board with. But, side by side, framed and hanging on your wall, unless the only people seeing it are die hard comic fans steeped in the history of the medium and connoisseurs of comic art and artists, I'll bet that the overwhelming majority of other people are going to find the ASM #98 more impressive. It's instantly recognizable, even by the layman, from the style and trade dress that this is an old/early/classic match up between one of the two most popular characters in comics vs. his arch-enemy (as opposed to two B-list at best characters on the GL #76 cover). A hero in peril, powerless and hanging off the side of a building while being taunted by his biggest nemesis - you don't need to know anything about historical relevance or symbolism, it's just flat-out engaging and ropes you in.

Connoisseurs of the medium, like everyone here, will be more split on the matter because some will be more focused on the artists and artistry (which favors Adams), or the historical relevance both reflecting societal changes and the changes in comics (which favors GL), while others like myself will prefer characters, nostalgia, etc. (which favors Spidey). But, frame the art, hang them side by side, and then ask a thousand people off the street which is cooler and I bet Spidey wins by a landslide. And not just because it's any Spidey cover, but because it's an exceptionally well done one from the right time period, featuring the right characters, with an interesting composition, an engaging premise/story/dialogue, executed absolutely brilliantly. 2c

That said, great minds can agree to disagree. :foryou:

The one page I really wanted was the Thing splash by Perez. I was doing the live auction and did a cut bid at the end, got out bid and by the time my phone was ready for me to bid again, auction closed :cry: I figure whoever won it would have gone higher than I was willing to spend (at least that is what I tell myself). The other pages I was watching was the panel from Spiderman 109 with Dr Strange. I really liked it but too high for me. The MoltenMan panel was also interesting. I sold at a previous HA auction for just over 10K but this time went for more. I was hoping it would go for less than 10k but someone else wanted it more. :sorry:

Mike and Gene, you know I love you both but for what it's worth (and i'm a huge Spidey guy)

the GL #76 is simply incredible to me. That run was all about "relevance" and challenging

the socio-economic/political norms of the day usually by way of angry Ollie slapping

around golden boy Hal. This dynamic runs through every single issue of that run. So

the cover with GA shooting the Arrow through GL's Lantern is quite simply the perfect

representation of that symbolically (and in this way an improvement over the original

unpublished version). Such a thoughtful composition and as it's purely symbolic and never

actually happens in the issue, it's one of the few pieces that sways towards contemporary

art as opposed to the garden-variety comic cover with a dramatic action scene inspired by one of the interior pages.

Just thought i'd chime in,

Ken

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=19201

Hey Ken :hi:

Totally hear what you're saying, though I think much of what you say strengthens my argument as well. Like you said, this is as much about the run and its relevance and how this cover captures that, with the other part being its thoughtful composition and how it embodies/symbolizes the challenging nature of the run. All of which I am totally on board with. But, side by side, framed and hanging on your wall, unless the only people seeing it are die hard comic fans steeped in the history of the medium and connoisseurs of comic art and artists, I'll bet that the overwhelming majority of other people are going to find the ASM #98 more impressive. It's instantly recognizable, even by the layman, from the style and trade dress that this is an old/early/classic match up between one of the two most popular characters in comics vs. his arch-enemy (as opposed to two B-list at best characters on the GL #76 cover). A hero in peril, powerless and hanging off the side of a building while being taunted by his biggest nemesis - you don't need to know anything about historical relevance or symbolism, it's just flat-out engaging and ropes you in.

Connoisseurs of the medium, like everyone here, will be more split on the matter because some will be more focused on the artists and artistry (which favors Adams), or the historical relevance both reflecting societal changes and the changes in comics (which favors GL), while others like myself will prefer characters, nostalgia, etc. (which favors Spidey). But, frame the art, hang them side by side, and then ask a thousand people off the street which is cooler and I bet Spidey wins by a landslide. And not just because it's any Spidey cover, but because it's an exceptionally well done one from the right time period, featuring the right characters, with an interesting composition, an engaging premise/story/dialogue, executed absolutely brilliantly. 2c

That said, great minds can agree to disagree. :foryou:

Yeah I don't get it Gene? I mean if I can summarize what you are saying the spidey would appeal to the layman and the image on the spidey is better.

Well so what? None of this is much about image quality anyways? And what John Q Public thinks is irrelevant.

I think you just like the ASM better ;)

None of this is much about image quality anyways?

Not sure what you are talking about - my entire original point was that the Spidey #98 cover would look nicer on the wall next to the GL #76. My whole point was solely about how the image looks and how people relate to it. With the GL #76, you have to write an essay to explain why it's the better, more important, more valuable cover.:blahblah: The Spidey cover speaks for itself - "look at me, I'm awesome." :hi:

Fair enough. I thought you were talking about valuation factors but looking back over your posts that's not what you wrote. My mistake :juggle: although I think the GL screams I'm awesome too ;) Two great covers.

So great that I bet all those laymen would think they were worth at least $100 :insane:

Each!

None of this is much about image quality anyways?

Not sure what you are talking about - my entire original point was that the Spidey #98 cover would look nicer on the wall next to the GL #76. My whole point was solely about how the image looks and how people relate to it. With the GL #76, you have to write an essay to explain why it's the better, more important, more valuable cover.:blahblah: The Spidey cover speaks for itself - "look at me, I'm awesome." :hi:

That's actually not what I wrote. I think (with a new modified logo especially), the GL 76 cover looks better than the Spidey 98. Period. Better drawing. Better inking. Better layout. Bigger impact. Not even close. GIl Kane=Neal Adams? Please.

And oh yeah, it has some serious history and distinction to sweeten it's appeal, but like all things this is just my 2c

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

That's actually not what I wrote. I think (with a new modified logo), the GL 76 cover looks better than the Spidey 98. Period. Not even close. GIl Kane=Neal Adams? Please.

And oh yeah, it has some serious history and distinction to sweeten it's appeal, but like all things this is just my 2c

Scott

Scott, no one is saying that Gil Kane > Neal Adams. No one is saying that Herb Trimpe > John Byrne either, but the Hulk #181 cover is infinitely better-looking than the FF #269 cover that just sold at Heritage. Which also highlights that it's not irrational in the least to prefer a lesser artist working on a more popular character to a better artist working on a less popular one. 2c

The one page I really wanted was the Thing splash by Perez. I was doing the live auction and did a cut bid at the end, got out bid and by the time my phone was ready for me to bid again, auction closed :cry: I figure whoever won it would have gone higher than I was willing to spend (at least that is what I tell myself). The other pages I was watching was the panel from Spiderman 109 with Dr Strange. I really liked it but too high for me. The MoltenMan panel was also interesting. I sold at a previous HA auction for just over 10K but this time went for more. I was hoping it would go for less than 10k but someone else wanted it more. :sorry:

That was a real dynamic page, would look just stunning in a frame.

Whoever wanted the Fleener and XNO covers at the very end of today's sale - sorry I pushed ya'll so hard. I wanted them but not for a single bid more than they went for. Enjoy 'em!

Hey, that was me.

The only piece of original comic art I own is a Frank Brunner page my father bought for me at a comic shop appearance (Graffiti in Culver City) in the mid 80's, until today, bought to cover art pieces.

This one. http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/brain-bat-3-d/rjrri

1992 Can't believe I'm going to own a original painting by XNO and it's also a published cover art. The colors are much more apparent in the original painting. (odd how Brain-Bat 3-D is listed on CPG, but Hoodoo isn't)

And this one. http://laluzdejesus.com/tax-day-re-sale-event-2015/#jp-carousel-11710 1988 (was for sale for $1k at a well known Hollywood Gallery just this year, was the Ray Zone collection being displayed there?)

for this one. http://atomicavenue.com/atomic/issue/123512/Hoodoo-1 (odd how Hoodoo is listed on Atomic Ave., but Brain-Bat 3-D isn't)

Wasn't planning on bidding, but got back from the post office just in time to see the end of the session and thought for published comic cover OA they where going for a low enough amount that I'd take a shot since I collect exclusively Undergrounds. I won both on my last bids, wasn't going higher for each.

Guess I'm joining the club...

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

That's actually not what I wrote. I think (with a new modified logo), the GL 76 cover looks better than the Spidey 98. Period. Not even close. GIl Kane=Neal Adams? Please.

Scott

Scott, no one is saying that Gil Kane > Neal Adams. No one is saying that Herb Trimpe > John Byrne either, but the Hulk #181 cover is infinitely better-looking than the FF #269 cover that just sold at Heritage. Which also highlights that it's not irrational in the least to prefer a lesser artist working on a more popular character to a better artist working on a less popular one. 2c

But that wasn't the argument. (shrug)

In this case, the argument you made was that the this Gil Kane Spidey cover was better/looks better than the Adams GL 76 cover. I disagree with that assessment. I'm addressing this pair of covers specifically, which is what we were talking about. Not looking for agreement. Just my measly 2c which must be boring everyone else to tears by now.

For what it's worth, I can think of numerous Gil Kane covers I would prefer over numerous Neal Adams covers even though Adams is the vastly superior artist in general, so we're not as far apart as you might have thought. But that is a different conversation.

Scott

Whoever wanted the Fleener and XNO covers at the very end of today's sale - sorry I pushed ya'll so hard. I wanted them but not for a single bid more than they went for. Enjoy 'em!

Hey, that was me.

The only piece of original comic art I own is a Frank Brunner page my father bought for me at a comic shop appearance (Graffiti in Culver City) in the mid 80's, until today, bought to cover art pieces.

This one. http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/brain-bat-3-d/rjrri

Can't believe I'm going to own a original painting by XNO and it's also a published cover art. The colors are much more apparent in the original painting.

And this one. http://laluzdejesus.com/tax-day-re-sale-event-2015/#jp-carousel-11710 (was for sale for $1k at a well known Hollywood Gallery just this year, was the Ray Zone collection being displayed there?)

for this one. http://www.counterpointla.com/pages/books/46313/mary-fleener/hoodoo

Wasn't planning on bidding, but got back from the post office just in time to see the end of the session and thought for published comic cover OA they where going for a low enough amount that I'd take a shot since I collect exclusively Undergrounds. I won both on my last bids, wasn't going higher for each.

Guess I'm joining the club...

Well I wish the line had been a little longer at your PO then ha ha :)

But seriously if they couldn't end up in my home, sounds like they went to the next best place! Maybe better as these are your #2 and #3 buys, they definitely mean even more to you than is coming across in your post. Likely I will regret not pushing a bit harder for the rest of my life, so instead I'll just say..."if you change your mind someday, drop me a line :)"

Congratulations again on your two offbeat additions and I'm really happy meet a fellow (comic) art fan!