• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Resubmission

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I would like to resubmit a couple of CGC graded books. I understand the 2 options are:

- Crack the book and resub as raw

- Send in CGC book itself as is

Any views on the recommended option?

If the book is resubmitted as is (without cracking), is there a minimum grade option ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Ad

I normally just send in the books in the holder. If I understand what you're asking, you have to submit a much higher volume of books for the pre-screen option.

I guess mschmidt is right, in consideration that there is no turning back once the book is submitted.

I'm aware that CGC has a pre-screen, but that wasn't what i was asking.

With a clearer mind now, my 2nd question wasn't making sense.

I was basically pondering, in the event that the re-evaluation doesn't result in an upgrade, can i request for the book to be reslabbed with the original label (old label).

The end result is the same - I usually crack the books when I'm resubbing seeing that it results in a lighter package.

Thanks for the input :)

May i ask if you have resubmitted old labels slabs before?

Did they all result in an upgrade?

I'm still half hearted on cracking my Avengers 1 :/

I normally just send in the books in the holder. If I understand what you're asking, you have to submit a much higher volume of books for the pre-screen option.

I guess mschmidt is right, in consideration that there is no turning back once the book is submitted.

I'm aware that CGC has a pre-screen, but that wasn't what i was asking.

With a clearer mind now, my 2nd question wasn't making sense.

I was basically pondering, in the event that the re-evaluation doesn't result in an upgrade, can i request for the book to be reslabbed with the original label (old label).

Dont think so. Its given a new label.

No.

Introducing the new "CGC Bet-Hedging Option!"

"For just $179.99 we will evaluate your book for upgrade. If it doesn't merit an upgrade, we will stuff it back in one of our trusty holders with the old label." Hedge your bets with CGC!"

Hey guys,

Yes, i admitted earlier that i wasn't of clear mind when i asked that 2nd qtn.

My bad guys, pls pardon my noobness.

Anyway, there is definitely demand for such "hedging" services, I'm sure.

You never know if this will be rolled out one day, probably in tier pricing :P

I stand to be corrected, but pre-screen services were only introduced in recent years?

This "hedging" service can probably be seen as an extension of that i guess, but might give rise to certain ethical / practicality issues (PQ deterioration?) .

Lastly, perhaps i should clarify that the "old label" i mentioned was referring to the old school CGC maroon and blue labels, not just simply the "orignal" label of the resub book.

Tough call...

No.

Introducing the new "CGC Bet-Hedging Option!"

"For just $179.99 we will evaluate your book for upgrade. If it doesn't merit an upgrade, we will stuff it back in one of our trusty holders with the old label." Hedge your bets with CGC!"

If I'm re-subbing a silver age or older book I definitely will only do it in the slab, in order to avoid any possible confusion about prior restoration detection and the lack thereof.

-J.

Yes, for older books, submit them in the slab. CGC even advised doing this in case of newly detected resto. Also, I consider the slab extra protection when shipping, less chance of new damage.

Thanks for the advise!

Assuming book is resub without cracking it, what happens if restoration is detected this 2nd round?

To be fair to owner, it was due to CGC's past negligence.

However if its returned as a blue label, we are looking at ethical issues...

I wonder if anyone was caught in such situations before...

If I'm re-subbing a silver age or older book I definitely will only do it in the slab, in order to avoid any possible confusion about prior restoration detection and the lack thereof.

-J.

Yes, for older books, submit them in the slab. CGC even advised doing this in case of newly detected resto. Also, I consider the slab extra protection when shipping, less chance of new damage.

Appreciate the input :grin:

-J.

The end result is the same - I usually crack the books when I'm resubbing seeing that it results in a lighter package.

I've cracked a ton of old label slabs over the years and in my experience there's no difference between the grading of them and the grading of books in new holders - some books are undergraded, some books are overgraded, most would come back the same grade.

It's a complete myth that old label books mean an automatic upgrade (apart from page quality where CGC did actually change their standards).

I've cracked a ton of old label slabs over the years and in my experience there's no difference between the grading of them and the grading of books in new holders - some books are undergraded, some books are overgraded, most would come back the same grade.

It's a complete myth that old label books mean an automatic upgrade (apart from page quality where CGC did actually change their standards).

+1

Except that many of those old labels were not pressed using today's techniques so there is always the chance for an upgrade.

-J.

Right. In addition you avoid the possible damage caused by removing the book from the slab.