• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Iron Man

47 posts in this topic

confused-smiley-013.gif If it is, then his father looks very young for his age. It was a good read though.

SPOILER.....

The kid that she's having is obviously going to be Tony Stark, so the father doesn't "look young for his age." He looks his age 20+ years ago...

SPOILER END

Is this the same Ultimate Iron Man that is in the Ultimates books? I just assume that this mini reveals his origin?

So far, thumbsup2.gif

Yes, it's his origin.

"THE STORY: Brace yourself for the most imaginative, groundbreaking comic of 2005. International bestseller, four-time Hugo award, two-time Nebula award and World Fantasy Award winner Orson Scott Card (author of Ender’s Game, Speaker for the Dead, Shadow Puppets) comes to the Ultimate Universe. He’s joined by industry legend Andy Kubert (Ultimate X-Men,1602, Origin) to show shocking beginning of ULTIMATE IRON MAN!!! If you thought The Ultimates told you everything you needed to know about Ultimate Iron Man, think again. It all starts here! "

NOT a Spoiler...but a guess.

I'm guessing that Tony's reaction to the virus will be what leads to his drinking problems in the Ultimate Universe. Kinda like his way of coping with it.

Why does Ultimate Tony Stark have to have a drinking problem as well? After all, he is ULTIMATE Tony Stark. Course maybe that just means that he can drink a lot more than the regular Tony Stark.

I'm just saying that they've already established in the Ultimates that Tony is a heavy drinker. It's probably just a handy storyline that they had decided to reuse. You know the old story "if it worked once....do it again".

Why does Ultimate Tony Stark have to have a drinking problem as well? After all, he is ULTIMATE Tony Stark. Course maybe that just means that he can drink a lot more than the regular Tony Stark.

Super-Alcoholic!

Able to drain a bottle of whiskey in a single gulp!

i've not read the Ultimates, but a buddy of mine told me that in the Ultimate world, Stark hits the sauce because he's afraid to fly....

this seems deliciously ironic...is it true?

i've not read the Ultimates, but a buddy of mine told me that in the Ultimate world, Stark hits the sauce because he's afraid to fly....

Ultimate Ironic Man? confused-smiley-013.gif

So far in the Ultimates, Iron Man/Tony Stark, has been portrayed as about as shallow as a fellow could be. Stereotypic bored-rich-white-guy, with possibly even a thinner personality than that.

Obviously the Ultimate Iron Man storyline should flesh out more details of how Tony came to have the armor...why he wears the armor...and why he keeps putting it own. I'm guessing Tony will be hiding his pain from the virus by using a bottle. Nah, nobody would do that in real life, would they? yeahok.gif

Issue #1 of Ultimate Iron Man has stirred up enough interest, i.e. something different about Iron Man, for me to come back for a 2nd helping.

More specifically, he needs his liquid courage to do anything in the suit. I believe his says in one of the first few Ultimates issues that he needs to drink to even get in the suit.

So far in the Ultimates, Iron Man/Tony Stark, has been portrayed as about as shallow as a fellow could be. Stereotypic bored-rich-white-guy, with possibly even a thinner personality than that.

Obviously the Ultimate Iron Man storyline should flesh out more details of how Tony came to have the armor...why he wears the armor...and why he keeps putting it own. I'm guessing Tony will be hiding his pain from the virus by using a bottle. Nah, nobody would do that in real life, would they? yeahok.gif

Issue #1 of Ultimate Iron Man has stirred up enough interest, i.e. something different about Iron Man, for me to come back for a 2nd helping.

The idea of this virus being a curse and a blessing is straight out of his Ender books. The character Bean has a similar gift/curse.

All in all, I enjoyed it for a first issue.

I read Ultimate Iron Man #1 last night.

It is quite possibly the WORST first issue in the Ultimate line to date. I'm sure it will read fine as a trade paperback, but as the introductory issue for a series I think it blows. Call me old fashioned, but a series called ULTIMATE IRON MAN should actually star Ultimate Iron Man. I won't be back for #2.

But that was one of the reasons for him becoming an alcoholic in the real Marvel Universe, so it's not exactly new. He used to hit the sauce to "calm the nerves" while flying.

I read Ultimate Iron Man #1 last night.

It is quite possibly the WORST first issue in the Ultimate line to date. I'm sure it will read fine as a trade paperback, but as the introductory issue for a series I think it blows. Call me old fashioned, but a series called ULTIMATE IRON MAN should actually star Ultimate Iron Man. I won't be back for #2.

Isn't it a bit early to bail on a guy with Card's rep? Even though you do have a valid argument about no Iron Man being in the issue. Hopefully the 1st appearance will have a big pay-off for the wait.