• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Days February 13-14 2016

94 posts in this topic

As a comic creator show this is by far the greatest show for fans to visit with a higher tiered comic guest.

Every now and then they have some great guests that are overlooked or ignored by the number of attendees that want actor sigs/photos/chit chat. It makes that interaction with the comic guest that much more relaxed and genuine in my opinion. They don't have a big line (or any line for that matter) and you don't feel rushed and neither does the creator.

Sucks for the comic guests though. The number of people that frequent their tables remind me of no name tables in an average Wizard World Artist Alley.

I would agree! This is a fun show! It does get packed at times, but it has a good mix of comics and "pop culture stuff". It's typically a heavy Dr. Who show (depending on guests).

Kolmaravenue: what store do you typically shop? Jays Comics off 45? Or Dreamland in Libertyville? I'm friends with both guys. I lived in Gurnee for about 10 years before coming to Texas. If you're coming to the show, stop by! I should have booth 58, it's a corner.

No WAY! I'm from Michigan, and we used to go to Six Flags in Gurnee a bunch, before I moved to Texas.

We would always plan a trip to the U.P. every summer. I've got family about an hour away from the bridge just south of Sault Ste. Marie. We met at the October show, you coming to this one?

As a comic creator show this is by far the greatest show for fans to visit with a higher tiered comic guest.

Every now and then they have some great guests that are overlooked or ignored by the number of attendees that want actor sigs/photos/chit chat. It makes that interaction with the comic guest that much more relaxed and genuine in my opinion. They don't have a big line (or any line for that matter) and you don't feel rushed and neither does the creator.

Sucks for the comic guests though. The number of people that frequent their tables remind me of no name tables in an average Wizard World Artist Alley.

I would agree! This is a fun show! It does get packed at times, but it has a good mix of comics and "pop culture stuff". It's typically a heavy Dr. Who show (depending on guests).

Kolmaravenue: what store do you typically shop? Jays Comics off 45? Or Dreamland in Libertyville? I'm friends with both guys. I lived in Gurnee for about 10 years before coming to Texas. If you're coming to the show, stop by! I should have booth 58, it's a corner.

No WAY! I'm from Michigan, and we used to go to Six Flags in Gurnee a bunch, before I moved to Texas.

We would always plan a trip to the U.P. every summer. I've got family about an hour away from the bridge just south of Sault Ste. Marie. We met at the October show, you coming to this one?

It's nice up there.

I picked up a book from you at the October show, if I remember correctly. I don't think I'm making this show, but I'm watching for the comics guests. If I do make it, it would probably only be a day thing.

I stop by both, Charlie at Dreamland usually has more in the way of back issues though. I'm from Austin and tried to make it to most of the Dallas shows when I lived there. I doubt I'll travel to this show especially since there haven't been any comic guests listed yet!

http://dallascomiccon.com/guests/

Comic guests have been posted:

Chris Sprouse (Multiversity, Thors, Tom Strong)

Mike Perkins (Carnage, Deathlok, Captain America)

Val Mayerik (Co-creator of Howard the Duck)

Becky Cloonan (Gotham Academy, Southern Cross)

Andy Belanger (Southern Cross)

Donny Cates (Buzzkill)

Joe Eisma (Morning Glories)

plus

Sam De La Rosa

Steve Erwin

Scott Harben

Lawrence Reynolds

Brent Peeples

more to come

****Val Mayerik (Co-creator of Howard the Duck)

*****Donny Cates (Buzzkill)

*****Joe Eisma (Morning Glories)

plus

*****Sam De La Rosa

*****Steve Erwin

*****Scott Harben

Lawrence Reynolds

Brent Peeples

more to come

I was wondering how the departure of the other promoters was going to affect the show. Apparently they only have the phone numbers to a limited amount of guests. Many of these have been at seemingly EVERY show they do. I know some are popular, and I know this will be somebody's first show, but what about the people who go to every show they do (either as a vendor, or an attendee)..... Having the same guests at two consecutive shows is silly. Please please please promoters, get some new people.

plus

*****Sam De La Rosa

*****Steve Erwin

*****Scott Harben

Lawrence Reynolds

Brent Peeples

more to come

I was wondering how the departure of the other promoters was going to affect the show. Apparently they only have the phone numbers to a limited amount of guests. Many of these have been at seemingly EVERY show they do. I know some are popular, and I know this will be somebody's first show, but what about the people who go to every show they do (either as a vendor, or an attendee)..... Having the same guests at two consecutive shows is silly. Please please please promoters, get some new people.

When did the old guard leave these shows?

plus

*****Sam De La Rosa

*****Steve Erwin

*****Scott Harben

Lawrence Reynolds

Brent Peeples

more to come

When did the old guard leave these shows?

Pretty sure this will be the first show without them.

Told you so.

They have it worse for June, lots of con going on that weekend.

True, but at the moment Wizard has only Michael J Fox and Reedus as the main draws in Philly, and Reedus has done a million shows. Dallas could still score some good draws. We'll just have to see if they do.

Not just Philly. There's Phoenix, WW, Awesome Con, and A-Kon in Dallas going that weekend.

A-Kon is anime focused, and looks to be fairly small (we've done hotel shows at that Hilton and it isn't huge). I am wondering if Wizard is done adding guests since they're pushing the whole Back to the Future theme of that show. Awesome Con has some decent guests so far, not sure about Phoenix.

Bottom line is that there are still plenty of opportunities to get good guests for May. It will just depend on how serious they are about it, and whether they'll focus on media only or go for a good comic creator lineup as well.