• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disney Comics in US - coming soon

19 posts in this topic

Isn't the cover price on these comics in the $7-$8 range? Who the hell is going to buy these books. I'm sure young children will be attracted to them, but doubt any parents will pay that much for a comic. These books are a waste of time and effort and will not last long, IMO.

I think it's a $6.95 cover. And, I agree with you...that's too much to get young kids into the books.

But, maybe they are trying to cater to Bark's fans that can't afford the originals. I read that they are going to reprint a Bark's story in either the first issue or free-comic day book.

Chris

Yeah, the Free Comic Book Day comic will be a reprint of "Maharaja Donald" smile.gif

I'll probably pick them up, since I'm a big fan - but they need to also have a low priced edition as well.

Disney comics used to only sell around 10,000 copies in the direct market at that squarebound price point. Think Geppi wants to make a major push into getting Disney comics racked in the chain bookstores & graphic novel outlets like Tower & Virgin Records.

Arty - that's awesome, thanks for the update. I am not a big fan of the $7 format either, especially if they spread the Rosa story over 3 issues, which was done in the past. Meant spending $21 mad.gif just to read the one twenty page story.

Can't look a gift horse in the mouth, though. I'm glad they are back in any format. smile.gif

Dan

How about $1.50 cover price printed on newsprint and racked at supermarket counters where kids might actually see them and have a chance to talk Mom or Dad into buying them one. $7 cover price? They didnt succeed with that format in the past why not try something new. Or........ put out some huge 200-300 page trades for $10-15 like the Marvel Essentials

I hate to say it but Disney's marketing for their comic line may help revitalize the industry as a whole. They have the corporate muscle to make something like this possible. Little kids who read Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse now may very well crossover into Marvel or DC in their teens like the old days.

I think it's a $6.95 cover. And, I agree with you...that's too much to get young kids into the books. But, maybe they are trying to cater to Bark's fans that can't afford the originals.

That's has to be the ticket, as no one would be insane enough to market $7 comics and hope that the tykes pick 'em up.

They're trying ta hook the greybeards wit da cash, just like Marvel and DC.

That's has to be the ticket, as no one would be insane enough to market $7 comics and hope that the tykes pick 'em up.

Maybe. You're jumping to conclusions without seeing how they market this first. Barney the dinosaur [!@#%^&^] costs more than a $7 donald duck book and all that junk sells rather well to eager parents who want to shut their kids up.

I think it's a $6.95 cover. And, I agree with you...that's too much to get young kids into the books. But, maybe they are trying to cater to Bark's fans that can't afford the originals.

They're trying ta hook the greybeards wit da cash, just like Marvel and DC.

But they also have a 32 page stapled comic for $2.95. Not kids stuff, but around what comics cost now. So that might still work. I could see a parent agreeing to 3 bucks for a Donald Duck comic for the kids.

-- Joanna

Just looked over the July solicits in the latest Previews:

Donald Duck Adventures 1 is Softcover, 128 pages, 5" x 7" format and is $7.95.

Sounds more like the CrossGen compendia series than a standard comic book, which I think is great because the bookstores will be able to sell the book in the children's books sections. And at 128 pages that's more than your average kids book and at $8 that's less than most of them too.

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 635 is Softcover, 64 pages, 7" x 10" and $6.95.

Larger size than DDA#1, more traditional comic size. The material in this issue appears to be mostly new. Price seems to be mostly in line with most 64 pages comics marketted these days.

I don't think that these comics are being marketted to kids to buy, but to adults to buy for kids, which I think is the right idea. I will certainly be buying them for my niece and nephew to read. I bought a batch of 150 Gemstone/Disney comics for them to read (Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Roger Rabbit, WDC&S and Talespin) and I've been giving them to them in small batches each month and they've really been enjoying them.

I think most people will agree that the 32 page pamphlet is not enough these days to hold a kid's attention (yeah I know it worked for us but we didn't have the distractions that they do), so I'm definitely liking the format of Donald Duck Adventures as a great way to sell comics to parents to give to their children.

Kev