• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four #1 - Original

25 posts in this topic

OK, attempt #2 - thanks for the help!

535rn4.jpg

6s80n9.jpg

Unearthed from my parents basement. Happy to say that I am 100% sure I bought this for the cover price of 10 cents when it was issued in 1961! I'm not a collector and I'd appreciate any help in determining the relative grade of this book. Thanks!

Happy to answer questions.....

Hmmm, obviously need help here. I have scanned the front/rear covers and thought I had put them on a page within a blog I write about food. Thought the link I embedded would open that page. Must be a simpler way....

Suggestions?

Great book to dig up :). The right edge of the front cover is cropped a little close but it appears to structurally look like a VG/VG+ (4.0-4.5 range). There appears to be a large diagonal crease on the front cover and the colors are a little faded but looks decent overall. No chipping on the right edge which is quite common on FF1s. How does the interior paper feel? Supple and not brittle?

With the 1" spine split, diagonal crease, spine wear and light fading I'm a little more conservative here than my peers. Solid 3.5, with a shot at 4.0.
is there is a spine split, I'm with you at a 3.5/4.0

There looks to be one 3/4" to 1" in length at the bottom edge of the spine, no? The spine roll is another issue I did not mention in my earlier post. That said, it's a sharp book. I'm just slightly lower than the broad consensus.

Thanks to all of you who offered your opinions on the grade. I know it's not accurate to grade from the scans, but I'm going to apply the Olympic judging model and throw out the high and the low. Looks like that would leave it somewhere between a 4 and a 4.5. Not bad for a 54 year old book that sat in a box in the basement for a very very long time.

For now, I'm going to hold onto it - too much sentimental value and, fortunately, I don't need the money. Maybe I'll submit it for grading - but only because I'm curious.

Thanks again!