• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Sellers, Padded Envelopes and Backer Boards NOT SAFE for shipping!

68 posts in this topic

Hi all. I'm starting to get a bit miffed about some eBay seller's shipping standards. I just recently bid on what would have been a pristine contender for a 9.8 on Solar: Man of the Atom 10 and offered to pay extra for shipping to ensure it comes in a box. All the seller said was not to worry about paying extra as they always pack everything well before shipping. Of course, I get a bubble mailer with the comic in it, protected by two magazine-sized backer boards. No surprise, but now there's three very large color breaking stress lines.

When will sellers learn? I'm thinking this warrants a negative, if for no other reason but make him think twice before using such a poor comic shipping method in the future.

Hi all. I'm starting to get a bit miffed about some eBay seller's shipping standards. I just recently bid on what would have been a pristine contender for a 9.8 on Solar: Man of the Atom 10 and offered to pay extra for shipping to ensure it comes in a box. All the seller said was not to worry about paying extra as they always pack everything well before shipping. Of course, I get a bubble mailer with the comic in it, protected by two magazine-sized backer boards. No surprise, but now there's three very large color breaking stress lines.

When will sellers learn? I'm thinking this warrants a negative, if for no other reason but make him think twice before using such a poor comic shipping method in the future.

I would request for a refund and have him pay for return shipping and if he agrees then I wouldn't leave him a feedback.

If he makes you pay return shipping then leave a neutral feedback.

If all goes wrong, file a dispute for damages.

Doesn't matter.

I've had full cardboard wraps/holders that were packed so poorly that the comic was damaged inside because of the dysfunctional packing ability of the person packing it.

Three out of four times the person packing comics for mail will seal up the comic with so much packing tape all around the bag/board so that it cannot be easily or safely removed without either cutting very close to the comic edge or risk bending the comic trying to untape the mummified comic that is wrapped and sealed in so much packing tape.

Everyone should take one of their own HG comics, pack it as well as you would typically do for a buyer - and then ship it to yourself and see how easy it is to unpack your own HG book without damaging it. WAY too many people have no idea how difficult/impossible they make unpacking their books thinking that entombing it in packing tape and cardboard will make it safer. It doesn't.

Bottomline - it's not just the material you use, it's the METHOD of packing the book that is equally important.

You can open an Ebay case and click the item that says item was damaged. Ebay will print a free label for the return.

The seller will be out for shipping to you and return so hopefully will have learned a lesson. You should not give negative feedback if he does this. You can make a comment that needs to work on packaging the comics.

I really hate that attitude of 'hey I'm concerned about the-"

"Naw, everything's FINE"

That's how the space shuttles exploded.

You can open an Ebay case and click the item that says item was damaged. Ebay will print a free label for the return.

The seller will be out for shipping to you and return so hopefully will have learned a lesson. You should not give negative feedback if he does this. You can make a comment that needs to work on packaging the comics.

Wow, I didn't know this. Nothing worse than to have to return a book at your expense when the seller is completely wrong. I had one a few weeks ago. He sent me a refund but I had to pay return postage. He got a strong neutral. It was brittle and all pages were detached. Not noted. I sent it back and he relisted it with the same description. I feel for the schmoo who bought it the second time...

Yeah I hate the over-packers more than the under packers. Sliced a couple books trying to get to them....

Isn't this packing method the norm for ebay sellers that sell raws? Once in a while, I'll receive raw comics in a box, but the vast majority come in an envelope.

I would prefer that all my books came in a box, but that's not going to happen ... too much cost for the seller, I guess. But if a seller is using envelopes, they should make certain it arrives safely .... please note the word "certain". I really don't understand the mindset of those who send comics that will almost certainly arrive damaged.

I never, ever use envelopes when selling on ebay, but it can be done to ensure that the comic arrives at the buyer's door in the same condition as the seller would like his comics to arrive. It just takes a little packing attention. Sadly, too often the packing job appears to have taken a back seat to 'making a sale'.

Mike

ps - I agree that there is such a thing as too much tape.