• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When does ownership change hands?

36 posts in this topic

Let's say person A puts a book for for sale with a BIN of $250. Person B sees the book shortly after it is listed and buys it immediately, and pays immediately. Person A fears $250 was too low a price for the book, so, after doing some digging, discovers the book was probably worth more than that, so he cancels the sale and refunds the buyers money, making up an excuse that the book was missing the centerfold when it wasn't. So, who is the legal owner of that book? If a seller cancels a transaction after payment has already been made for his asking price, is it still his book?

It's possible, but I can't be 100% sure. But, either way, I'd like to hear people's opinions. I would think as soon as the buyer pays the seller's asking price, it belongs to the buyer. But, who knows, maybe there's case law or something saying otherwise.

I'm clearly no lawyer. But in my head this makes sense to me. I always put the responsibility of getting the book to me on the seller. Any damage and its the seller's book. Book goes missing and it's the seller's book. So following through with that until it gets to me it is the seller's book. On the practical side what can you do. You paid, the seller says the book was damaged, destroyed, lost. Now what can you really do. Demand the book and then get a rag?

You are. And, no, it wasn't. I'm not naming names simply because I can't PROVE that the seller wasn't telling the truth in this situation. If he is telling the truth, then I am happy with the cancellation. So it's really just a hypothetical question.

Unfortunately, as long as the seller is willing to take the feedback hit they can do whatever they want until the book is actually shipped out to you.

But, there was no negative feedback left because the reason gave for cancellation seemed legit at the time. So, the seller gets off with no penalty. (This was 11 months ago, and now that seller is naru'd.)

Legally an offer plus acceptance equals contract. Buyer owns the book.

You a lawyer, bro?

lol

Well I'm not a physicist but I know if you drop a rock it will fall. Some things you don't have to be an expert to know.

You a lawyer, bro?

lol

Well I'm not a physicist but I know if you drop a rock it will fall. Some things you don't have to be an expert to know.

That may work for your 'rock' example. However that does not work with your legal advice. Leave that to the people that are actually qualified to comment on that.

lol. Apples and oranges. But just messin, tho, bro.

Yup me too

lol

Everyone knows not to take legal advice from Kav by now

You a lawyer, bro?

lol

That may work for your 'rock' example. However that does not work with your legal advice. Leave that to the people that are actually qualified to comment on that.

Exactly.