• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beware of This eBay Buyer

38 posts in this topic

Its the sellers obligation to assure the book is delivered as described. The seller is also responsible for choosing the shipping company. The seller takes all the risks getting the book delivered safe and sound. Insurance is an option any seller can/should exercise should they wish to not deal with such a situation. When a seller elects to not buy insurance, thats when they become the insurance company.

+1 ..and that's why I hardly ever sell on Ebay. Actually haven't sold anything since the rule changes years back..i.e. "can't leave negative feedback for the buyer"..and a bunch of other idiotic rules.

Its the sellers obligation to assure the book is delivered as described. The seller is also responsible for choosing the shipping company. The seller takes all the risks getting the book delivered safe and sound. Insurance is an option any seller can/should exercise should they wish to not deal with such a situation. When a seller elects to not buy insurance, thats when they become the insurance company.

Agreed 100%.

That is why I only ship comics, in boxes.

I sold a raw Preacher #66 ,which I graded as a 9.8, for $35 shipped a few days back.

I am going to take some pics of the book, how it is packed from placing it in a standardm2/standard full back board with extra bcw boards ....then sheathed in a silver/gold m2 fullback combo....laid on a sheet of cardboard....slid into a bubblewrap mailer...then packaged into a cardboard box............ to further illustrate your point.

It takes me damn near 15 minutes to package up a single raw book, costs me more in supplies and shipping weight gets to 2 pounds for a box with one comic.......but I get buyers complimenting me on shipping, consistently.

When you sell books raw as 9.8's, the very last thing a buyer wants to see is the book arrive in a cardboard reinforced mailing envelope with "do not bend" on it.

Just to interject....while I have no idea what transpired in this situation, I have both bought and sold from erstockton many many times without a problem. For years. Don't know him or anything about him but of the long list of users I do 'beware' of on Ebay, he is not one of them.

+1. I have purchased from erstockton on eBay at least a half dozen times and I trust him too. This sounds like a one-off problem.

I recently sold a slab on ebay, I used the same 200# test box CGC mails their slab to you in, it's a double wall almost crush proof box that you can stand on, also packed with peanuts and large thick bubble wrap. I get an email from him saying the box was crushed and the case is cracked. I don't believe a single word he's telling me. I'm not refunding him, I'll eat the negative and will research other places to sell slabs. eBay has become a breeding ground of bad buyers and mail fraud. Everyone knows "Item Not as Described" will override any return policy you have.

Recently had a buyer email me saying he didn't like the defect on a 9.6 Destroyer Duck 1, He emailed me and said "Either give me a refund or you can paypal me $8 and i'll keep it" I told him to just return it and i'll refund him when I get it. A package came and he just sent me some junk comics instead. I called ebay and talked to the returns dept.

I told her what happened and this is what she said..

Me: I got a return and the buyer sent something else instead

eBay : "That is a faulty return and ebay doesn't cover that, you just have to accept as a business expense when selling to the general public"

Me: What if he opens a case too?

eBay "If he opens a case, ebay would refund him"

Me: "If that happens, don't expect me to give ebay any money, I'm not paying it back"

ebay "You have every right to do that"

eBay : "That is a faulty return and ebay doesn't cover that, you just have to accept as a business expense when selling to the general public"

As :censored: as that policy is, it is what it is. It really really sucks.

But what's the alternative - buyers being sent a stack of german newspapers instead of a key slabbed book they paid for and having no recourse?

Pass the cost onto the rest of your customers as a cost of business, like every other business does with bad customers and report/blackball the buyers on boards like this.

Ebay :censored:holes like that who switch and return are no different than brick-and-mortar shoplifters or "returned-damaged" shoppers who break their merchandise then want a refund because "it was broke when I took it out of the box!"

As :censored: as that policy is, it is what it is. It really really sucks.

But what's the alternative - buyers being sent a stack of german newspapers instead of a key slabbed book they paid for and having no recourse?

Pass the cost onto the rest of your customers as a cost of business, like every other business does with bad customers and report/blackball the buyers on boards like this.

Ebay :censored:holes like that who switch and return are no different than brick-and-mortar shoplifters or "returned-damaged" shoppers who break their merchandise then want a refund because "it was broke when I took it out of the box!"

Yup, this is how buyers can actually "steal" from sellers. I'm ready to just take down all 80 listings on ebay and mail everything off to Mycomicshop, pretty much just outsource everything. Won't have to deal with feedback, open cases, or anymore shipping and packing.

I recently sold a slab on ebay, I used the same 200# test box CGC mails their slab to you in, it's a double wall almost crush proof box that you can stand on, also packed with peanuts and large thick bubble wrap. I get an email from him saying the box was crushed and the case is cracked. I don't believe a single word he's telling me. I'm not refunding him, I'll eat the negative and will research other places to sell slabs. eBay has become a breeding ground of bad buyers and mail fraud. Everyone knows "Item Not as Described" will override any return policy you have.

Recently had a buyer email me saying he didn't like the defect on a 9.6 Destroyer Duck 1, He emailed me and said "Either give me a refund or you can paypal me $8 and i'll keep it" I told him to just return it and i'll refund him when I get it. A package came and he just sent me some junk comics instead. I called ebay and talked to the returns dept.

I told her what happened and this is what she said..

Me: I got a return and the buyer sent something else instead

Me: What if he opens a case too?

eBay "If he opens a case, ebay would refund him"

Me: "If that happens, don't expect me to give ebay any money, I'm not paying it back"

ebay "You have every right to do that"

hm

I had a similar situation a few years ago, the buyer claimed whatever I sent him was not as described and requested to return it. He was informed to send the item back for a refund and he sent back trash, literally, it was trash. I called eBay to report the matter/scam and I did not have to refund him.

I guess they've revised their policies since then and it seems whenever they alter them, it's always to get something to work against sellers. Smh...

I sold a Silver Surfer 18 a few years back on ebay, I made sure I was covered (or so I thought) by sending it signed for.

As soon as I told the buyer I had posted the item, he opened up a case item not received, I phoned ebay multiple times, saying I've only just posted the item and he's based in Italy so course he's not got it yet. It did not matter, they gave him the full refund, in the end he said someone else purchased the item on his account, so that was that!

Did not matter as I pointed out to ebay that he'd been buying Silver Surfers for the past few months by his feedback (when you could see what they were buying).

Buyer 99.9% of the time wins decision on ebay, no matter what!

It's $35, just suck it up.

Ship in a box and charge $8+ for shipping. I know it will sell less because less people

will be willing to pay 1/4 of the transaction in shipping fees, but that is costs of business.

So it's either eat it and sell more to make up for it or sell less and and make less while covering yourself.

Life is hard, Business is Ruthless and

COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS!

I recently sold my first comic on eBay and will never do it again. The fees are murder. However, the scams that come from eBay are always in the buyers favor. I know from now on when I post comics for sale I am using MyComicShop and here. If the person that bought my Hot Stuff #1 comic said it was damaged and so forth I would find the guys location and kick him in the jimmy. Cause I pack everything in a box and depending what I have on hand it will have either newspaper or packing peanuts along with the slab being secured in another box or between two pieces of cardboard and then wrapped with bubble wrap.

I also feel for you brother but this is a buyers market and world and we are at their mercy.

I hope you have better luck in the future.

My advice to sellers, ALWAYS SHIP IN A BOX. Should a buyer request a return saying something is damaged, request photos backing up their claim. Should they send the item back, take a video of the package as well as the tracking number and document opening it in case they send something else back. That may help your position a lot with ebay (I would hope).

I recently posted a raw X-Men 4 on here a while back and later posted it on eBay and Kijiji. Some out-of-towner saw the ad on Kijiji and I agreed to ship it to him if paid via PayPal.

he asked me a few questions about the book, the spine roll, the PQ, the creasing, etc.

He was on board with the defects and the grade being GD/GD+

Numerous high quality pics were sent of the FC, BC and middle pages.

The insufficiently_thoughtful_person I am never sent it requesting a sig. He's then emailing me daily for a week saying, 'where's tracking'... 'where's the tracking info, I want to see when it's coming'

I knew I was in for a ride here.

At some point, I said, I know you have it, I've shipped many similar items and never had an issue before. The next day he says, "I got it, but want a refund - the pages are excessively brittle, there are too many creases and there is an extreme spine roll and a spine split... this looks like a 1.8"

I said, :censored: no... these defects were discussed and that's that. what do you expect of a GD book? Characteristics that make up the bottom level of the GD range (as per some of the online guidelines); none of which are present with the book in question:

• are there pieces missing from interior pages: NO

• are large pieces missing from the cover: NO

• are there long or many spine splits: NO

• is there tape used anywhere on the book: NO

• is the cover detached: NO

• is the centerfold detached: NO

• is there water damage: NO

• a vertical book length crease: NO

• major tears: NO

• heavy amounts of staining: NO

• residue: NO

This was bang on grading if I may say so myself... and this guy is saying sorry, you said GD/GD+ and I think it's a GD-

He opened a claim "not as described' with PayPal and within 10-12 hours, PayPal rejected his claim.

NOW, weeks later, he's filed a chargeback claim with his credit card hoping that they'll give him a refund and he'll get a free book... the cheap :censored:

Luckily, I notified PayPal and said, listen, you already ruled this in my favour and I don't believe I should be liable again... that's part of what I pay fees for.... PayPal's protection. They agreed and said I won't be held liable and that they're going to fight the CC company....

too many pieces of :censored: out there.

pardon my rant...

My advice to sellers, ALWAYS SHIP IN A BOX. Should a buyer request a return saying something is damaged, request photos backing up their claim. Should they send the item back, take a video of the package as well as the tracking number and document opening it in case they send something else back. That may help your position a lot with ebay (I would hope).

eBay & Paypal both do not care about video evidence.

Also, try shipping 200+ packages a week in boxes. It can't be done unless you have multiple employees. Also, it's not necessary if you package properly and take care in doing so.

Gonna glom onto this thread with a warning about an eBay buyer of my own:

innerjoycollectibles

This person wins one of my auctions for a $100+ book. I state in my auctions "payment is due three days after auction ends, please contact me first if you cannot." Person wins the auction, THEN sends me note asking if it is OK to pay on Friday, two days later than the agreed-upon terms in my auction. I say "OK" anyway, but have a bad feeling. Yesterday rolled around and no payment. I open a NPB alert (which I won't be so hasty to do in the future, as you cant cancel a transaction with a NPB case open) and they contact me today, saying "A deal fell through while I was selling this other comic, so I don't have the money now, but I should be able to pay you on Tuesday."

1) not my problem that your deal fell through

2) I already gave you a pass once

3) if you didn't have the money, why were you bidding on my auction?

4) NOT MY PROBLEM THAT YOUR DEAL FELL THROUGH

They said "I hope this isn't an inconvenience" - it's a pretty big inconvenience, considering these are all commissions. I asked that if they can't pay, to cancel the auction (since I tried and could not due to the case being open) and they come back with "I can probably get the money up tomorrow."

I am tired of being jerked around already. If I say OK to that, then tomorrow rolls around, and they won't have the money. I told them one more time "If you cannot pay for the comic now, please cancel the auction so I can relist."

*SIGH*

Person has 100% positive FB, too. Just a huge PITA and a time-waster. I have placed him on my blocked bidder list.

Not comic related but I got a message from someone wednesday saying they didnt have paypal but was going to mail me a pre paid visa card and that they had bid really high so no way they would lose the item. I told them thanks for the update before the auction ended so I could cancel their bids now and block them from bidding again.

Not comic related but I got a message from someone wednesday saying they didnt have paypal but was going to mail me a pre paid visa card and that they had bid really high so no way they would lose the item. I told them thanks for the update before the auction ended so I could cancel their bids now and block them from bidding again.
lol. BEST.