• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 7 on the Bay Blue 1.8

91 posts in this topic

I get that the book is tough to find and only the second Superman cover - and a fairly cool one at that, but if that price has any resemblance to FMV, this book has gone from being the poor man's Action #1 to being priced at more than Action #1 would have cost 10 or 12 years ago in the same grade. It seemed this book usually held a value of less than 10% of Action #1 in the lower grades, is a 1.8 Action #1 worth over half a million now?

Have there been any sales to remotely justify the asking price?

I get that the book is tough to find and only the second Superman cover - and a fairly cool one at that, but if that price has any resemblance to FMV, this book has gone from being the poor man's Action #1 to being priced at more than Action #1 would have cost 10 or 12 years ago in the same grade. It seemed this book usually held a value of less than 10% of Action #1 in the lower grades, is a 1.8 Action #1 worth over half a million now?

This same copy sold in July for 50K.

I think it sold for 50k to the guy selling it now from the info i got?

Seems logical.

Looks like Roy's old copy from the summer as well.
roy's copy was much nicer
it's the same 1.8 slightly brittle

I had two copies. This is the undercopy. The other was much nicer.

yah, I was referring to this 1.8 not the nicer one.
i only knew of the nicer

I'll take the second batman cover, at 1/5 the cost, over this, all day long...

Is it really 1/5 the price? If so I think you just caused a spike on tec 29? lol

the tec 29 cover is also a much better cover than action 7.

I'll take action 1 over tec 27, but tec 29 over action 7 anytime especially if there is a significant price differential.

Is it really 1/5 the price?

Not an exact science, but there is without a doubt a significant price disparity between the second cover appearances of the industry's two biggest names.

At least for recent sales.

Of course there are 29 unrestored TEC 29's and only 24 unrestored AC7, so the fewer available copies of AC7 surely contributes to the price difference.

And now he's trying to unload it at a small profit after costs a few months later. Buyer's remorse?

It's sometimes a mystery to me where the market settles on some books in relation to others, even when factoring for importance, demand, scarcity and general coolness, some things seem high and others low, but $25K a point seems a lot for such a book.

Of course there are 29 unrestored TEC 29's and only 24 unrestored AC7, so the fewer available copies of AC7 surely contributes to the price difference.

I would actually argue that isn't enough of a difference to worry much about.

Or at least, that any scarcity difference should be offset by the fact its the 3rd not 7th interior appearance, and by the fact the census is imperfect. We're only talking about a difference of 5 copies.

I'm probably fooling myself but I'd call those things a wash.

I do like the brighter palette on action 7, but I don't see any reason for a huge price difference? (shrug)

Buyer's remorse. I get that a lot now days. I also get why did i not just bid 1 more time. That just shows how people who dont no spoon when it comes to comics buy things high to sell higher. :facepalm:

And now he's trying to unload it at a small profit after costs a few months later. Buyer's remorse?

It's sometimes a mystery to me where the market settles on some books in relation to others, even when factoring for importance, demand, scarcity and general coolness, some things seem high and others low, but $25K a point seems a lot for such a book.

According to GPA an SP Restored CGC 1.0 sold for $17,300 in 2013, an incomplete Universal 1.0 copy sold for $32.5K, a 1.8 sold for $50K in 2015 and a 5.0 sold for $128,500 K in 2015.

I'd say this book has been north of $20K or even $25K a point for some time now.

The second cover appearance of Superman is a pretty big thing even if Tec #31 is considered the greatest Batman cover.

If Tecs, Capt #1's and #3's, Suspense #3's, Action #1's and who knows what else have risen in price over the last few years, why would Action #7 not be considered in that group?

According to GPA an SP Restored CGC 1.0 sold for $17,300 in 2013, an incomplete Universal 1.0 copy sold for $32.5K, a 1.8 sold for $50K in 2015 and a 5.0 sold for $128,500 K in 2015.

I'd say this book has been north of $20K or even $25K a point for some time now.

The second cover appearance of Superman is a pretty big thing even if Tec #31 is considered the greatest Batman cover.

If Tecs, Capt #1's and #3's, Suspense #3's, Action #1's and who knows what else have risen in price over the last few years, why would Action #7 not be considered in that group?

I get it that all sorts of "big" books have been rising, especially in the wake of Action #1 and Tec #27, it's just the amount for Action #7, but then these are waters I don't remotely swim in.

A book like Tec #31 has a demand independent of it's placement in the Pre-Robin chronology, as the most classic cover of that small run. I doubt the value would be any different if it were issue #37. Action #7s value is dependent on it's role as the only other single digit Action with Superman on the cover, not really a key or a major classic cover, something more akin to Tec #29 than anything else.

The difference is that all pre Robin Batman cover Tecs have been rising, not just #31 (as well as many other non-Batman books) while there have been relatively few Action #7 sales - not enough to make trend.

The difference is that all pre Robin Batman cover Tecs have been rising, not just #31 (as well as many other non-Batman books) while there have been relatively few Action #7 sales - not enough to make trend.

..... and I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Batman, in general, is quite a bit more coveted in the marketplace than Superman. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I would actually argue that isn't enough of a difference to worry much about.

Or at least, that any scarcity difference should be offset by the fact its the 3rd not 7th interior appearance, and by the fact the census is imperfect. We're only talking about a difference of 5 copies.

I'm probably fooling myself but I'd call those things a wash.

I do like the brighter palette on action 7, but I don't see any reason for a huge price difference? (shrug)

I agree, but the market has spoken.

Last TEC 29 CGC 1.0 OW/W sold on CC for 11k.

The last comparable AC7 sale is the 1.8 with brittle pages for $50k.

Not apples to apples in terms of grade/PQ, but still indicative of a substantial price disparity.

Relatively few is probably the key phrase. I'm not certain that in absolute terms Action #7 is that dramatically scarce, but it doesn't matter if they aren't being sold. Lack of availability tends to inflate prices, the old supply vs. demand, and it also increases the cache of owning such a book, further increasing demand. Even just seeing that other people value a book can increase demand. I'm thinking of CSS #22, recognized as a classic cover for decades, but not particularly pricey as it seemed in plentiful supply compared to other classic pre-code covers. Then it starts climbing in value and all of a sudden, everybody wants one, sending the prices higher, and while still not hard to find, the high prices sustain as there is clearly a larger market for the book than there used to be. It just seems more special as a four figure book in mid-grade than it did as a low three figure book.