• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you do it?

64 posts in this topic

there a just plain a lot of key books that have not been graded...and I mean some good ones....a number of board members here have major collections, Dr. Carl who prefer not to slab them...several major marvel collections are out there.

there a just plain a lot of key books that have not been graded...and I mean some good ones....a number of board members here have major collections, Dr. Carl who prefer not to slab them...several major marvel collections are out there.

Of this, I have no doubt. (thumbs u

How do you do it? How to buy books today that you had 5 years ago for 20% of today's price?

I don't :D

I think there are an awful lot of us that usually don't spend huge money on comics.

$500 is a large comic purchase for me. Most books that I buy are $100 or less. I have never put an amount of money into comics that was actually significant to my finances, and I frankly can't imagine doing so. I spend about 3% of my salary on comics.

That said, the value of the books can start to add up over the years.

I'm generally not buying books that have gone up recently. I like to collect in reasonably cold areas of the market. There are hugely cool books that often languish while everyone is buying the must have books. Take ECs. Everyone wants Crime SuspenStories 22. It's a cool cover, but I can buy half the rest of the run instead of that one book. I like CSS 23 and 24 just as much. I have a Gaines File copy of 24 that cost me less than a 4.0 of 22 would cost, and I probably could have bought 10 4.0 copies of most issues in the run for what it cost me.

I have no confidence that the recent dramatic price increases in the hot books are sustainable. I won't chase books at what I consider crazy prices, so I end up buying other books. I don't need the hot books to enjoy collecting.

Comic books are a healthy part of a diversified investment portfolio, especially when buying golden and silver age keys ... no ?

Yes. And as such they will help you meet girls.

(thumbs u

You can keep your comics and have the girls? hm

Can someone please tell my wife…

I think you have to ask yourself why you are involved in the hobby. Investment?, Pride of Ownership?, Thrill of the Hunt?, Big ego? or combination of any of these?

The only reason I buy comics is so I can post the scans here and impress you bunch of losers.

You've succeeded.

Buy what you really like and can afford, but have the the patience to find it for a fair price.

Have broad tastes and snap up stuff that is going cheap by today's measure when you come across it.

Look for books, runs and genres that seem relatively inexpensive and discover cool books you hadn't noticed before.

These may always not be the best investments, but you'll have fun collecting, rarely have to sell at a loss and now and then get in early on a book before it skyrockets.

Hey Dr. Carl.

I'm in exactly the same boat that you're in, and have been absent from the comic collecting scene for about the same amount of time. So I've been reading everyone's responses, and a lot of it makes sense. Rjbp's post above resonates with me, because although I have not been comic collecting for 20 years, I was actively collecting antique swords and followed a somewhat similar approach in that field.

So here's my plan: 1. Find reasonably priced WW2 themed comics (this is something that I started way back when, so I'm picking up where I left off), but not necessarily superhero books. 2. Find pre 1950 Superman/Action

comics 3. Other? Interesting cover art. For all 3 of these collecting areas, I'm looking for mid-to borderline high condition, as I figure that the mid grades won't break the bank!

I think you have to ask yourself why you are involved in the hobby. Investment?, Pride of Ownership?, Thrill of the Hunt?, Big ego? or combination of any of these?

The only reason I buy comics is so I can post the scans here and impress you bunch of losers.

lol

I've been doing this for a LONG time. I have to say, I've seen comic books just continue to rise especially on the blue chip stuff. I have had to eat my words more than once..

That being said, any licensed and legimate investment advisor would say it is a VERY risky investment. I tend to agree that if you put your money into rental buildings or other real estate, blue chip stocks ect. it is far more prudent and safe.

I've had my collection a LONG time. I will make a stupid profit when I throw in the towel.

Of course I would expect your normal licensed and legitimate financial investment advisor to say that comic books are a VERY RISKY investment, for the simple reason that 99.9% of them would know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all about the comic book market.

I am, however, a bit surprised to hear you agree so wholeheartedly with this opinion, especially considering that in your own words, you seen blue chip comics do nothing but just continue to rise and you also stand to make a stupid profit when it's all said and done.

Personally, I see just as much risk in some of the other "safer and more prudent" investment vehicles which you mentioned such as real estate and blue chip stocks. Although I do not personally know many people (if any at all) that have lost money in real estate, I do know many people that have lost a ton of money in the stock market.

I believe there is risk in any market you put your money in, whether it be comics, real estate, stocks, or what have you. It's really a matter of understanding the market you are in and not simply chasing after the latest hot item or paying top dollar for something that will most likely have nowhere to go but down. hm

Comic books are a healthy part of a diversified investment portfolio, especially when buying golden and silver age keys ... no ?

If "healthy" = large, then, no.

Of course not large.

I'm thinking 25%-35% of ones wealth :)

Way too much strictly from an investment point of view. 5%-10% tops, in my view.

Probably a good figure for a relatively new collector entering the market nowadays with the prices so high and the risk accordingly high as well.

For the long-term collector who has been in this market for years or even decades, I would say that this figure would definitely look to be on the low side. Especially considering that investment quality comic book valuations have increased steadily upwards over the past few decades.

So what may have started off as 5% to 10% in the beginning may have grown substantially higher on its own even without any further purchases, depending upon how the other non-comic book investments have performed over the years. hm

The girls I know are only impressed when I sell, not when I buy.

The howl of the alpha male collector. ^^

If "healthy" = large, then, no.

Of course not large.

I'm thinking 25%-35% of ones wealth :)

Way too much strictly from an investment point of view. 5%-10% tops, in my view.

Probably a good figure for a relatively new collector entering the market nowadays with the prices so high and the risk accordingly high as well.

For the long-term collector who has been in this market for years or even decades, I would say that this figure would definitely look to be on the low side. Especially considering that investment quality comic book valuations have increased steadily upwards over the past few decades.

So what may have started off as 5% to 10% in the beginning may have grown substantially higher on its own even without any further purchases, depending upon how the other non-comic book investments have performed over the years. hm

I had that problem but then I started putting in a crease here, a tear there and soon the value is back in line.

The girls I know are only impressed when I sell, not when I buy.

+1

If you want beautiful GA comics and cost is an issue, go for purple labels. I've bought books in the past couple of months that I thought I'd never own and did it at 1/3 of the cost of the same book with a blue label.

I would agree, put personally I draw the line at "Extensive".

I can do a tad of color touch, tear seal, replaced staples ect.

May I just add that I find you all charming, funny, insightful, and wise…

We don't do that all in one post, of course. Have to keep our awesomeness from overwhelming the readers.

The howl of the alpha male collector. ^^

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hm

323481067.jpg