• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF#48 vs Hulk#2 vs HOS#92

41 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Trying to make a decision here on what to obtain. I love all there books but can only get one. So it is FF#48 9.2 vs Incredible Hulk #2 6.5 vs House of Secrets #92 9.2

All three are great books but which has the most room to 'grow' in terms of value? I know Hulk #2 is the rarest of the three from my research but the other two are higher grades.

Hi everyone,

Trying to make a decision here on what to obtain. I love all there books but can only get one. So it is FF#48 9.2 vs Incredible Hulk #2 6.5 vs House of Secrets #92 9.2

All three are great books but which has the most room to 'grow' in terms of value? I know Hulk #2 is the rarest of the three from my research but the other two are higher grades.

FF 48 is my pick. Especially if there is a chance SS will be part of the Infinity Gauntlet movie.

Hi everyone,

FF 48 is my pick. Especially if there is a chance SS will be part of the Infinity Gauntlet movie.

With the way the Inhumans & BP books exploded, I'd hold the FF#48. It's always been the "best" of the mid-run FF books. The others got their big bumps and this one stayed relatively steady/flat. If those others are "worth" the money they command, there's no reason why this one isn't due for a bump.

It's more important than 1st Inhumans and 1st BP combined.

FF48. Landmark key, introduces incredibly important characters, opens the comicworld up to the universe and is in 9.2 condition and is likely undervalued right now. Oh, and Kirby/Lee. There is no downside to it, not even its relative ubiquity.

Hulk 2 next. Just because it's harder to find and has the coolness factor of 1st green Hulk. Not terrible condition either. If it were in any lower condition then HOS92 would be better to get (and this from a heavy Swamp Thing fan as kid growing up, lots of sentimental attachment to that one). But it's a toss-up. Important here is which do you like more?

But FF48 if you could only have one.

Hi everyone,

In terms of "room to grow" I think all three of your books are long term staples of the hobby before the current speculative era/bubble took off. That will make them more stable long term, and after any sort of speculative unwind or crash.

The room to grow (disproportionately) to the market as a whole depends ultimately on a surge in demand, which pretty much has to be driven by "speculators". As I like to put it, the eye of sauron would have to turn its gaze to one of them.

I think FF#48 (though I have never personally cared for the book) likely has the largest possible exposure to a speculative jump. As the rights to the FF get addressed in the the next year or two, it is possible a return to Marvel occurs. If that happens and he gets a chance to be added to the MCU, probably a doubling or more would occur. I say that because the book has a long history of being valued, is held in strong hands, and the HG will feel the speculative push the most.

On fundamentals, outside of speculation, I would think NONE of them are mispriced relative to other "peer" type books (like say the years of spec on AF15 eventually spilling over to the relatively undervalued IH1, for instance). They should rise and fall with the market as a whole.

IH2 has no real exposure to a spec boost and HoS92 probably as the cleanest path to a spec boost. But FF48 imo, if things align, has far and away the most room to soar should a spec boost hit it.

Hulk 2, HOS 92 close runner up

You can pick up the 48 any time in any grade.

Right FF #48 is a warehouse find. Those books are everywhere.

Agreed...Hulk 2, HoS 92, then FF 48.

FF 48 is an all-time classic, but the book is ubiquitous and Surfer's presence in the Marvel movie universe has just been a catastrophe (like the entire FF franchise). I'm a big believer in the pre-1964 Marvel second appearance issues, they're relatively scarce (compared to the rest of the Marvel SA Universe anyway) and history shows strong demand for the early GA superhero/2nd appearance books so there's somewhat of a precedence.

HoS 92 is a great book, but it's been a semi-key for so long that I think collectors have just become desensitized to it. Compared to FF 48 with over 2,500 Universal copies and ~8% of those in 9.4 and above, it is a bit tougher in HG with only 5% of the graded copies in 9.4 and above.