• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CGC offer refunds if you disagree with their grading?

68 posts in this topic

This is like asking if you eat at a restaurant, can you get a refund if you are not satisfied.

The answer is 'no'

But boy would I love to live in a world in which the answer was 'yes'.

Keep everyone on their toes !!!

Next time you eat out and aren't happy, ask to speak to the manager. You'll be surprised what they will usually do to satisfy a customer.

I've see people call for the manager and beetch about the food, but only after they've wiped the plates clean. doh!

"There was a hair in it, but I only saw it on the last bite."

I think you're SOL unless it was an egregiously mistaken grade. What do the notes, if any, say?

If it says detached staple or 1" tear and none exist on that book then you may have a QA issue.

If you got a 5.5 but the book presents like a 9.0 and the notes say nothing then maybe they saw something that you didn't upon closer examination. Stuff like large but hard to see stains only visible under UV light that goes through most of the book or rusty interior staples with rust transfer on some of the interior pages, or a severe acidic odor only present when opening the book to certain pages, or a spine split that wasn't noticeable before. A quick call to them could shed some light as to the disparity in grading opinions.

However, if you thought it was a 9.0 and got an 8.5 well then that's just how it goes sometimes.

This is like asking if you eat at a restaurant, can you get a refund if you are not satisfied.

The answer is 'no'

Next time you eat out and aren't happy, ask to speak to the manager. You'll be surprised what they will usually do to satisfy a customer.

You do NOT have to pay for a meal you are not satisfied with. Theft of service comes in when there is evidence you had no intention of paying. You can order a meal and if 1/4th through it you've decided you can't eat it because of the quality of food you do not have to pay; at least in NYS. If you're in a deli and pop a protein drink (for example) and take a sip at the checkout and decide it's disgusting, you can hand it back to the cashier and say "I am not paying for this. It's disgusting".

If you're in a diner and it takes an excessive amount of time to be served you can simply tell the waitress to cancel your order and tell her why.

For theft of service you need to show an intent to not pay. Going into a restaurant without money and trying to scam half a meal. etc. If you decide not to pay don't be surprised if you are asked to leave and never return. If you do, then that's trespassing....

If you got a 5.5 but the book presents like a 9.0 and the notes say nothing

Off topic, but man it peeves me when I search the registry and find a book has been graded and there are no grading notes available.

Back to topic, given the OP knew the responses he/she was going to get and yet posted anyway... They are seriously PO'd. I like/enjoy/respect people raging publicly even when they know the backlash coming and go for it anyway. :foryou:

You paid for their opinion. Don't like it...crack it out and put it in a Mylar. A refund won't happen but perhaps you can learn from the experience and know better how CGC grades books.

A lot of speculation here. What is the disagreement? I had a 4.0 and they gave me a 3?

And the fact that you won't post a pic seems odd. If there looks like a clear mistake people will comment, if it looks like they were right in there people will comment. All you bought was their honest opinion, unless there is a clear mess up you got what you paid for.

Grading is subjective, there are no real rules, it's an evaluation or a professional opinion, not a rule or anything held in a court of law, so I doubt if any refund can be claimed nor lawsuit made.

I think with comics even more so, and CGC how there are different standards for grading modern books to vintage books taking in consideration age, there's no real sets of rules or strict guidelines.

I see grading as a nice way to frame up and store your comic books, and the numbers are good estimates, but it's a flawed system, even the authentication of the signature series (those witnesses I hear can be sketchy folk endorsing who knows what) and detecting restoration has slipped by the so called experts who can't see trimming.

It's not wise to use CGC or any grading company as the authority and the difference between a 9.6, 9.8 and 10.0 varies in the eyes of the beholder.

If you think you've wasted your money having the books graded, then why did you want them graded in the first place ?

Either you're happy with your assessment of the grades, or you're happy to pay CGC for their opinion.

It's not actually their fault if they don't agree with you.

I hear what you are saying about disagreeing with their assessment.

I too have felt their harsh grading has been over the top on some books and in general they really ding you hard for certain defects.

More importantly, and I say this over and over on here, it's far more important that the grading remains consistent. That is, if you give a book that is roughly a 9.0 that they will always grade the same book between 8.5-9.2 every time they see the same book, assuming it hasn't changed.

I feel like I just flushed $120 down the toilet.

Was the other option to reach in and fish it out of the poop?

The answer is 'no'

Complaining sometimes gets you free stuff.

My pork chop came dangerously undercooked and my wife's filet mignon was way overcooked and we wound up getting them comped once, along with free desert.

The answer is 'no'

You do NOT have to pay for a meal you are not satisfied with. Theft of service comes in when there is evidence you had no intention of paying. You can order a meal and if 1/4th through it you've decided you can't eat it because of the quality of food you do not have to pay; at least in NYS. If you're in a deli and pop a protein drink (for example) and take a sip at the checkout and decide it's disgusting, you can hand it back to the cashier and say "I am not paying for this. It's disgusting".

If you're in a diner and it takes an excessive amount of time to be served you can simply tell the waitress to cancel your order and tell her why.

For theft of service you need to show an intent to not pay. Going into a restaurant without money and trying to scam half a meal. etc. If you decide not to pay don't be surprised if you are asked to leave and never return. If you do, then that's trespassing....

Good luck explaining that to the police as they lead you away in cuffs.

The answer is 'no'

Good luck explaining that to the police as they lead you away in cuffs.

Ex-NYPD cop and Academy Instructor.... I think I know what I am talking about. It's actually one of the first things you are taught to show between a civil and criminal matter.

Pretty the option to pre-screen covers this scenario. IF you have such a strong reservations about receiving a grade you disagree with AND your'e that confident in your own grading skills, a pre-screen will help minimize your financial exposure in the case you feel they'd be just flat wrong.

If I have a bad experience at a restaurant, I'll speak to a manager. If not satisfied, you can't simply walk out, but you can pay on a credit card and then take it up with the credit card company. I've only done this once.

I was really peeved at the service we got, and even more when the bill included a 20% gratuity.

Manager was uncaring to the point of rudeness. I called AMEX and said I wanted the 20% taken off.

In the end, the grat was removed and I was given a 25% e-coupon for a return.

A few weeks back, we ordered Chinese food for lunch from a place we've used a few times.Forty minutes items later, it hadn't showed up and I called. It will be there in five minutes, I was told. Another half hour went by before it got here. I refused it, and someone from the place called me to yell at me. One Chinese restaurant down, a half dozen to choose from.