• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CGC offer refunds if you disagree with their grading?

68 posts in this topic

OK, I assume the answer is "No", but the 2 books I recently submitted just arrived and I disagree with the grades they received.

I'm not going to post photos of them here because I've been on these boards long enough to know that if I did there would be a bunch of people saying "CGC was right." or "Obviously you're overlooking this particular minute defect" and on and on.

I know many people here would think my opinion is invalid compared with the expertise of CGC's professional third party graders, but I feel like I just flushed $120 down the toilet.

I looked on CGC's main site for any info on refunds but couldn't find anything in the FAQs. Because I'm probably not alone in this I figure they don't offer refunds or anyone who got a PLOD or a 6.0 instead of a 9.0 would be demanding their money back, but it never hurts to ask.

This is like asking if you eat at a restaurant, can you get a refund if you are not satisfied.

The answer is 'no'

But boy would I love to live in a world in which the answer was 'yes'.

Keep everyone on their toes !!!

If Paypal was in charge of all payments, it would be 'yes', all the time. doh!

true dhat

cant wait for BTC to go mainstream

:)

This is like asking if you eat at a restaurant, can you get a refund if you are not satisfied.

The answer is 'no'

If Paypal was in charge of all payments, it would be 'yes', all the time. doh!

I sent a Woodgod for grading and it came back a 9.8 so I sent it back and pointed out some flaws they missed and got them to regrade it at 9.2.

OK, I assume the answer is "No", but the 2 books I recently submitted just arrived and I disagree with the grades they received.

I'm not going to post photos of them here because I've been on these boards long enough to know that if I did there would be a bunch of people saying "CGC was right." or "Obviously you're overlooking this particular minute defect" and on and on.

I know many people here would think my opinion is invalid compared with the expertise of CGC's professional third party graders, but I feel like I just flushed $120 down the toilet.

I looked on CGC's main site for any info on refunds but couldn't find anything in the FAQs. Because I'm probably not alone in this I figure they don't offer refunds or anyone who got a PLOD or a 6.0 instead of a 9.0 would be demanding their money back, but it never hurts to ask.

It would be a horrible business practice for CGC to offer refunds every time someone disagreed with a grade. Just think of the amount of books that would be sent in hoping for a gift grade and then asking for refunds once they didn't get it. In fact if that was CGC's practice it would seriously question the value of their opinion. When it comes down to it you are paying for an expert opinion. Not "merely" an opinion. Opinions matter a lot. Even when going to a Dr. you are paying for an opinion..... and Dr's opinions often differ. You don't get a refund when the 2nd doctors opinion differs from the first. That said, the opinion isn't etched in stone. You could always rip it out of the slab..... Or in this case slabs (plural). Of course there is room for error, and you may be 100 percent correct, however the fact that you disagree with BOTH of your submissions decreases the likelihood that both were mistakes. I still have a long way to go before I could call myself a consistently accurate grader, but some folks here are absolutely spot on. May as well post the pics, and the graders notes, and see what the general consensus is.

The answer is 'no'

Next time you eat out and aren't happy, ask to speak to the manager. You'll be surprised what they will usually do to satisfy a customer.

The answer is 'no'

Next time you eat out and aren't happy, ask to speak to the manager. You'll be surprised what they will usually do to satisfy a customer.

I've see people call for the manager and beetch about the food, but only after they've wiped the plates clean. doh!

The answer is 'no'

Next time you eat out and aren't happy, ask to speak to the manager. You'll be surprised what they will usually do to satisfy a customer whiner.

The answer is 'no'

Yep. Although most of the time my complaint has been service related, and I've always had good responses.