• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CGC offer refunds if you disagree with their grading?

68 posts in this topic

This is like asking if you eat at a restaurant, can you get a refund if you are not satisfied.

The answer is 'no'

But boy would I love to live in a world in which the answer was 'yes'.

Keep everyone on their toes !!!

Next time you eat out and aren't happy, ask to speak to the manager. You'll be surprised what they will usually do to satisfy a customer.

You do NOT have to pay for a meal you are not satisfied with. Theft of service comes in when there is evidence you had no intention of paying. You can order a meal and if 1/4th through it you've decided you can't eat it because of the quality of food you do not have to pay; at least in NYS. If you're in a deli and pop a protein drink (for example) and take a sip at the checkout and decide it's disgusting, you can hand it back to the cashier and say "I am not paying for this. It's disgusting".

If you're in a diner and it takes an excessive amount of time to be served you can simply tell the waitress to cancel your order and tell her why.

For theft of service you need to show an intent to not pay. Going into a restaurant without money and trying to scam half a meal. etc. If you decide not to pay don't be surprised if you are asked to leave and never return. If you do, then that's trespassing....

Good luck explaining that to the police as they lead you away in cuffs.

Ex-NYPD cop and Academy Instructor.... I think I know what I am talking about. It's actually one of the first things you are taught to show between a civil and criminal matter.

as someone who has spent more than a decade defending police officers when they are sued in civil rights cases i can tell you that the police make mistakes. unintentional, of course. no basis for civil rights liability, of course. none of my clients ever knowingly did anything wrong. that's a given. and they never think they have made a mistake, of course....

doctors also never make mistakes. at least none of my clients.

Do a charge-back if you think your claim is legitimate.

i think amex will not back you up on a restaurant charge just based on dissatisfaction and they normally back their cardholders up, so i am going to figure visa and mc don't either. or at least that's what my wife told me.

Another half hour went by before it got here. I refused it, and someone from the place called me to yell at me. One Chinese restaurant down, a half dozen to choose from.

---

i did this with one of our local ones. same scenario. i screamed at them because by the time it became clear they were not coming every other place had closed, we had nothing in the house to eat, and my wife was ready to kill me (ultimately i ran out to KFC, which is open until midnight). problem is, now i can't remember which place it is and i am afraid to order from any of them for fear i am in their computer and my food will be like that Yelp episode of South Park.

The problem with the screening is you have to have submitted a group of books. My CGC submissions are usually less than 5 books, so prescreen isn't an option for me.

If they would make prescreen more flexible it would negate most of these scenarios, but... it would require more time/resource on CGCs end.

At first glance I thought this would reduce sales based on all of the cancels, but then again if prescreen was more accessible I would absolutely submit more books.

Seems like it would be worth it to add another resource or two to the prescreen process, offer it on smaller submissions, resulting in more submissions and moneys and happiness!

This is like asking if you eat at a restaurant, can you get a refund if you are not satisfied.

The answer is 'no'

Next time you eat out and aren't happy, ask to speak to the manager. You'll be surprised what they will usually do to satisfy a customer.

You do NOT have to pay for a meal you are not satisfied with. Theft of service comes in when there is evidence you had no intention of paying. You can order a meal and if 1/4th through it you've decided you can't eat it because of the quality of food you do not have to pay; at least in NYS. If you're in a deli and pop a protein drink (for example) and take a sip at the checkout and decide it's disgusting, you can hand it back to the cashier and say "I am not paying for this. It's disgusting".

If you're in a diner and it takes an excessive amount of time to be served you can simply tell the waitress to cancel your order and tell her why.

For theft of service you need to show an intent to not pay. Going into a restaurant without money and trying to scam half a meal. etc. If you decide not to pay don't be surprised if you are asked to leave and never return. If you do, then that's trespassing....

Ex-NYPD cop and Academy Instructor.... I think I know what I am talking about. It's actually one of the first things you are taught to show between a civil and criminal matter.

as someone who has spent more than a decade defending police officers when they are sued in civil rights cases i can tell you that the police make mistakes. unintentional, of course. no basis for civil rights liability, of course. none of my clients ever knowingly did anything wrong. that's a given. and they never think they have made a mistake, of course....

Don't do it in case the police officer on the scene slept through civil vs criminal 101 during the Academy? Your saying don't contest charges on a meal because the arriving officer may not know what he/she is doing and arrest you? That's a level of incompetence that deserves to be litigated.

i think amex will not back you up on a restaurant charge just based on dissatisfaction and they normally back their cardholders up, so i am going to figure visa and mc don't either. or at least that's what my wife told me.

I was talking about the CGC charge.

My wife sells parrots. She used to accept credit cards until a buyer did a charge-back on a $1800 bird. The buyers complaint to the CC company was the bird injured itself months after she bought it and she didn't think she should be responsible for the vet bills.

My wife said she wanted the bird returned if they were going to reverse the $1800 charge. The CC issuer sided with the buyer and the person did not have to return the bird. Now we have to find where they moved to so she can sue them in small claims. The CC issuer will not disclose their address without a subpoena.

The point was I was wondering how this would unfold if an "opinion" was contested in a charge-back.

OK, I assume the answer is "No", but the 2 books I recently submitted just arrived and I disagree with the grades they received.

I'm not going to post photos of them here because I've been on these boards long enough to know that if I did there would be a bunch of people saying "CGC was right." or "Obviously you're overlooking this particular minute defect" and on and on.

I know many people here would think my opinion is invalid compared with the expertise of CGC's professional third party graders, but I feel like I just flushed $120 down the toilet.

I looked on CGC's main site for any info on refunds but couldn't find anything in the FAQs. Because I'm probably not alone in this I figure they don't offer refunds or anyone who got a PLOD or a 6.0 instead of a 9.0 would be demanding their money back, but it never hurts to ask.

Post the pics, the expected grade and grade received. Anything less comes off as sour grapes.

I was talking about the CGC charge.

My wife sells parrots. She used to accept credit cards until a buyer did a charge-back on a $1800 bird. The buyers complaint to the CC company was the bird injured itself months after she bought it and she didn't think she should be responsible for the vet bills.

My wife said she wanted the bird returned if they were going to reverse the $1800 charge. The CC issuer sided with the buyer and the person did not have to return the bird. Now we have to find where they moved to so she can sue them in small claims. The CC issuer will not disclose their address without a subpoena.

The point was I was wondering how this would unfold if an "opinion" was contested in a charge-back.

Apart from the OP being banned from ever submitting books to CGC again? Please try this and let us know :thumbsup:

The answer is 'no'

Don't do it in case the police officer on the scene slept through civil vs criminal 101 during the Academy? Your saying don't contest charges on a meal because the arriving officer may not know what he/she is doing and arrest you? That's a level of incompetence that deserves to be litigated.

I never said any such thing. But just leaving and saying "this sucks I am not paying" on the way out might get you arrested in the parking lot.