• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FindMyComic.Net. A New Comic Book Search Engine
4 4

118 posts in this topic

Okay, onto #54; Go Hastings Go Hastings.com.

FindMyComic.Net

I'm thinking of starting a Go Fund Me or Kickstarter so that I can have someone update the website with a more integrated search result, something like that ammo website someone posted earlier.

I could see about getting a cost estimate together for showing the results dynamically in the page with pre-loaded links (and still have my open all links button). Thoughts?

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

I still use your site pretty frequently Jerome, it really is a good tool!

Thanks buddy! I usually see about 8 hits per day, sometimes a random 20 hits a couple times a month.

I've looked into modifying the site with some developers and it'd cost a lot of coin to do so, roughly a grand, maybe more. The kicker is, which I was afraid of, I may have to re-tweak my site if any of the 50+ sites make a change that breaks the work I paid for. So, I'm tabeling that for now.

I did find another cool, collectibles site; Bonanza today for #56: Bonanza

FindMyComic.Net

Jerome

Dude! Its genius.. You should bump this thread every once in a while for more awareness.. Bookmarked it!

A bummer that you cant incorporate MHC into it (I noticed its at the bottom for added search criteria). My top 5 sites are eBay>Amazon>MCS>Midtown>MHC

I think that if you had created more awareness for this it could grow.. Potential is huge.

Brilliant idea+Simplicity is always a favorite with VCs when it comes to startups.. If you had the time to develop this you could really hit big with it.. My opinion

Congrats and good luck!

Thanks man!

I feel the same way, because I know I'm not alone in trying to find a particular book and hate the massive leg work that goes with it when searching online. Money is basically stopping me from making ti better, that and lack of guru level of web scraping lol

Jerome

Okay so I've contacted a few web dev companies and it looks like this may never happen, they are estimating around $10,000 on average. And that's for 5 weeks of work @ $50/hr. Assuming it can get done in that time window.

I've created a GoFundMe page, so if you find the site useful and/or would like to see it dynamically list comic books, similar to www.gunbot.net, please donate to the GoFundMe page.

FindMyComic.Net GoFundMe Page!

:wishluck:

Jerome

That's a lot of cash, they're probably quoting you to make a highly professional site.

Maybe you should just try open sourcing it, maybe you could attract other devs to help with it if you toss it on to github.

The problems you describe are completely tractable.

Yup, just like anything else, fishing for an investor IS the job... It becomes lucrative AFTER youve marketed the heck out of it and provided incentives for investors to believe in your shtick..

So many good ideas out there go to waste just because their originators didnt know how to market their properties right..

If you havent watched Startup.com, I recommend watching it.. Its kind of old news by now, but its amazing to see how relentless these guys were pursuing their startup back then

Okay so I've contacted a few web dev companies and it looks like this may never happen, they are estimating around $10,000 on average. And that's for 5 weeks of work @ $50/hr. Assuming it can get done in that time window.

I've created a GoFundMe page, so if you find the site useful and/or would like to see it dynamically list comic books, similar to www.gunbot.net, please donate to the GoFundMe page.

Jerome

The traffic a website like this will generate once the word gets out will be astronomical. Hopefully I'll have some good news for you soon Jerome. :hail:

Jerome

The traffic a website like this will generate once the word gets out will be astronomical. Hopefully I'll have some good news for you soon Jerome. :hail:

Shops may try to block it.

It is generally considered bad form to use their data and bandwidth without really driving traffic to them. Most will want people to visit their site, not query it in this manner.

They won't notice the extra bandwidth as long as the site remains unpopular. Amazon will never care of course, but they also provide an API which is the proper way to do this sort of thing.

Jerome

It is generally considered bad form to use their data and bandwidth without really driving traffic to them. Most will want people to visit their site, not query it in this manner.

They won't notice the extra bandwidth as long as the site remains unpopular. Amazon will never care of course, but they also provide an API which is the proper way to do this sort of thing.

I disagree completely. No such thing as bad publicity. You're data mining essentially, but you still have to use their site to complete a purchase. If anything, you're generating intentional business as opposed to accidental business.

I guess the dealers here that will get traffic from this aggregate site can chime in, but it seems to me that however you get people clicking your website, you're still getting traffic.

Jerome

I disagree completely. No such thing as bad publicity. You're data mining essentially, but you still have to use their site to complete a purchase. If anything, you're generating intentional business as opposed to accidental business.

I guess the dealers here that will get traffic from this aggregate site can chime in, but it seems to me that however you get people clicking your website, you're still getting traffic.

As I said, it depends on how popular it becomes. Typically you integrate with partners, but this is basically just mining their data and occasionally sending a client their way. I don't mean that in a bad way, that's how it typically starts, but guys running the sites and servers won't like the spikes and will ask block the IP of it gets big enough.

So many good points guys, seriously. The quote is so high because I'd be trying to minimze the amount of work needed later on if a comic shop modifies something on their site. More cash now, less cash and work later on (shrug)

I'll see if entalmighty1 can make a connection work, if not, I may look at making it open-sourced at git-hub (never done that before, so something new to learn/try). I'm not looking to make any money off the site, total non-profit, at least at this point. I just want to make it easier to find comics :)

Regarding the traffic discussion, I've always planned on contacting all the smaller sites (i.e. not ebay, amazon and b&n) and ask if what I do is okay with them. I also figure at that time I may lose support, but if I can keep it at 50 sites or so that'd be a win for me.

I just have a hard time believing they would have a problem with getting more traffic, even from one ip, it'd be no where in the same galaxy as a DDoS attack, but rather another avenue for possible business. However, that said, there's 50 sites with 50 different owners, so it's completely up to them for sure.

Jerome

Any other suggestions, recommendations or thoughts? I'll put a link up once I have a beta site running.

I tried searching for "double covers" but obviously needed to put in a title and an issue number for the search to run.

I'd like to be able to search for "double covers" without putting in a title and an issue number.

Any other suggestions, recommendations or thoughts? I'll put a link up once I have a beta site running.

I tried searching for "double covers" but obviously needed to put in a title and an issue number for the search to run.

I'd like to be able to search for "double covers" without putting in a title and an issue number.

You can fill that in the variant field, that should do it. I'll go remove the other field requirements so you can just put 'double cover' in the variant field (thumbs u

EDIT: Now I remember why it's required lol My search strings must have something filled in for the site to even function. Looks like you'll have to enter the title and issue :sorry:

Jerome