• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,468 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2024 at 1:48 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Nice score Bob; those early Barks ducks are just hard to find in general. Great reader copies for you!!

Indeed. Although I don’t actually seek most of them out, I rarely see issues before #40. These are just reader hole fillers but at the price I paid, I couldn’t pass on them. I know I will keep my eyes peeled for an upgrade of #38. 

I thought no one liked Ducks anymore? ... or Tarzan? What's wrong with me? :bigsmile: Uncle Scrooge shows up in this one, courtesy of Carl Barks.  GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

WW WDCS 138.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/12/2024 at 1:48 AM, jimjum12 said:

I thought no one liked Ducks anymore? ... or Tarzan? What's wrong with me? :bigsmile: Uncle Scrooge shows up in this one, courtesy of Carl Barks.  GOD BLESS ...

WW WDCS 138.jpg

Without looking it up, I'm going to say Maharajah of Howdoyoustan story. One of my favourites.

On 6/12/2024 at 12:31 AM, AJD said:

Without looking it up, I'm going to say Maharajah of Howdoyoustan story. One of my favourites.

It was advertised as having a "classic money bin story" and I have yet to read it. After the stroke my hands are still numb and lack feeling, so I've already messed up a couple books by dropping or "jerking" them. Next time I'm having a good day, I'm going to give it a go... it was less than 40 bucks... GOD BLESS ... 

I've acknowledged Barks since the beginning but never "tasted the pudding" until about 15 years ago, when I read Vacation Parade #1 and it was then that I first "got" Barks. Until then he was just another figure in the history of comicdom. I can't get enough now. 

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/11/2024 at 10:15 PM, OtherEric said:

Not directly Duck related, but since Kelly did a lot of the early, classic Duck covers I thought this recent acquisition of mine might interest people here anyway:

image.thumb.jpg.3e336dbe788b35b743c2bb7f8411181b.jpg

Interesting item. I wonder what drew three of the top newspaper cartoonists of the day to that event in Boston. Milt went to tOSU, so it wasn't being alumni. And they worked for different syndicates so it wasn't one employer mandating it.

On 6/12/2024 at 10:42 AM, sfcityduck said:

Interesting item. I wonder what drew three of the top newspaper cartoonists of the day to that event in Boston. Milt went to tOSU, so it wasn't being alumni. And they worked for different syndicates so it wasn't one employer mandating it.

I have no idea.  I need to track down a copy of the original program book to see what it says about them attending.  It’s a nice piece, in any case!

Three More Heritage Auctions

Four Color #29 CGC 7.5 sold for $5520: Last sale was back in May 2021 for $5160.  Didn't yet read this one yet but love the cover.  I read posts from some Barks Fans saying this is his first real Donald Duck Work

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-29-donald-duck-dell-1943-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7374-91072.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Four Color #386 CGC 9.2 sold for $6300.  Last sale was back in April of this year for $4920.  This ties with FC #199 as my favorite Barks Cover.  Its a 9.2 but I think this is the nicest looking copy I saw.  Crossing my fingers to get this for $5500 (put in a max of 6k) but was outbid

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-386-uncle-scrooge-dell-1952-cgc-nm-92-white-pages/a/7374-91073.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

EDIT:  Missed one.

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #1 CGC 5.5 sold for $6600.  Last one sold in January of 2023 for $9600.  The page quality on this one was lower but I think the major turn-offs here were some nasty tears on the cover and the puzzles were filled out.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-1-dell-1940-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages/a/7374-91138.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bigphatpaulie
Forgot to add another book