• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

:cloud9::cloud9:

us310.jpg

You know I've thought this some when I was looking for the 310. Its desirability stems in great part from the fact that people want to read a story that's not been reprinted yet. So I could never justify a slabbed copy.

:cloud9::cloud9:

us310.jpg

You know I've thought this some when I was looking for the 310. Its desirability stems in great part from the fact that people want to read a story that's not been reprinted yet. So I could never justify a slabbed copy.

you could have 2 copies.. (shrug)

With the Aussie dollar bumping around in the low 60s against the USD lately, I've revisited my collection of Australian Disneys. Here's a couple of recent arrivals that I think have no US counterpart. There were 11 Fethry Duck issues in the G series (a bit like the FC series) and I now have 9 of them. I've never seen O. O. Duck anywhere else (this is certainly his only cover title in the Australian run).

fethry.jpg

fethryOO.jpg

And then there's this one. At first look it may seem out of place in the duck thread, but it was the back cover I was after. This is (as far as I know) the only Barks work that made its debut in Australian comic. (The gag got bumped for an ad in the US edtition.) There were more Australian issues of Lil Bad Wolf than ran in the US, so they were cobbled together with various odds and ends, and this one-pager somehow ended up in this 1961 comic.

G219_front.jpg

G219_back.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

At first look it may seem out of place in the duck thread, but it was the back cover I was after. This is (as far as I know) the only Barks work that made its debut in Australian comic. (The gag got bumped for an ad in the US edtition.) There were more Australian issues of Lil Bad Wolf than ran in the US, so they were cobbled together with various odds and ends, and this one-pager somehow ended up in this 1961 comic.

Nifty bit of trivia!

At first look it may seem out of place in the duck thread, but it was the back cover I was after. This is (as far as I know) the only Barks work that made its debut in Australian comic. (The gag got bumped for an ad in the US edtition.) There were more Australian issues of Lil Bad Wolf than ran in the US, so they were cobbled together with various odds and ends, and this one-pager somehow ended up in this 1961 comic.

Nifty bit of trivia!

Yes, thanks AJD. I remember reading in Michael Barrier's biography about this being the first printing of the "bridle gag" worldwide, but I have never seen the comic before. If US and European collectors were to become aware of its importance and, not least, existence, I could see this becoming a popular curiosity kind of like the 1949 WDCS mailer with the unpublished cover. I wish I had not seen it, though, because now I really want one myself.

Yes, thanks AJD. I remember reading in Michael Barrier's biography about this being the first printing of the "bridle gag" worldwide, but I have never seen the comic before. If US and European collectors were to become aware of its importance and, not least, existence, I could see this becoming a popular curiosity kind of like the 1949 WDCS mailer with the unpublished cover. I wish I had not seen it, though, because now I really want one myself.

My apologies. But if I see another one I'll let you guys know. This is either the second one I've owned, or one I've owned twice. (If that makes sense.) I'm keeping it this time though. :cool:

Nifty bit of trivia!

It is threads like this that make these boards great. I had never heard of this book/trivia. I really appreciate the history lesson and the scan of the back cover. Very cool.

I think I have posted some of these before but I am interested in a complete list of subscription premiums. Some I wouldn't recognize but a few that I have found are stored away. For example:

3375154585_916b3955f8_o.jpg

3375154899_789b99f351_o.jpg

3370928957_83f34f0eaf_b.jpg

And another that I have found a little more often.

3375973520_a7aa921ea7_o.jpg

3375973806_cb72c94b8f_o.jpg

3376048062_857f313635_o.jpg

I think "Bringing up the Boys" was also sold separately as part of the Story Hour series.

I have both hard cover and soft cover versions of some of those books. I assume the soft cover was a giveaway. Fortunately I am still within the age limit and can enjoy reading this beautifully lithographed edition.

bb

Going through the Disney Box, I found several other premiums listed. There was a book on Water Birds, Bear Country, a Donald Duck goes to Disneyland, Goofy and the Tiger Hunt and Sleeping Beauty. There was also a Mickey Mouse on Summer Vacation which I will try to find in the BLB box.

bb

3375821027_bd7acb892b_b.jpg

There were several other pin-ups that were used as premiums. I have collected a few from the back covers of WDCS.

And I was pretty sure that this book with Mickey, Donald and Goofy was used as a premium.

The "Mickey and the Beanstalk" story was part of "Fun and Fancy Free" which was an animated feature film (1947).

bb

3376640960_b9125187a1.jpg

I never found an ad that displayed this book.

So if someone can find one and get me off the hook...it would be appreciated.

Edited by BB-Gun

I think I have posted some of these before but I am interested in a complete list of subscription premiums. Some I wouldn't recognize but a few that I have found are stored away. For example:

3375154585_916b3955f8_o.jpg

3375154899_789b99f351_o.jpg

3370928957_83f34f0eaf_b.jpg

the circus piece is SO nice!

The Cover to #41 was used as one as well.

You have inspired me, I will pull my copy of 127 to re-read and post a scan. I followed a similar duck trail (pun!) after those early WDC&S purchases; moving on to buy the majority of the Barks Four Color run in the mid 70's. I remember coming home from one New York show with a valise I had borrowed from my Dad completly stuffed with Bark's books. Still missing 4 Four Color issues (9,29,62,159) with the 62 being a personal grail. Later, I picked up an original owner run of most of the Four Colors from 178 forward around 1978. These are my prized copies. I may post my doubles for sale on the boards one of these weekends. All lower grade reader copies. On the other hand those reader copies are fun to read! I have multiple copies of coverless 178's that always seemed to pop up back then, Anyone want one? Make an offer I can't refuse.

I went looking for my WDCS 127 but couldn't find it. Instead I couldn't help but scan the following. The WDCS 119 was purchased along with that 127 for about $1. in '72. The WDCS 110 was purchased in the late 70's at a Seuling show in Philadelphia (he had moved the July 4th New York show there at the end) and was claimed to be a file copy. It was certainly the nicest issue I had had to that point. It probably cost about $20. Somewhere in between I picked up the DD 26 which is also one of the best Barks stories in the DD series. I don't remember but I would imagine I paid about $15. or so at the time.

Enjoy!

76228.jpg.09ade463cab52600f556bd225103b1e4.jpg

76229.jpg.dfe1238ba8531d466ad4622cf74d5efb.jpg

76230.jpg.901a3e7135060306570a75ab8619f47d.jpg