• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,449 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have only read through about a third of this thread and I intend on finishing it as soon as possible. Please keep on posting.

Ok for my very first post of some of my comics I thought I would start here since the Disney comics are my favorites and it is only fitting that I post my favorite character. So here are a few that I have had since the early 80's.

Please forgive the sizing differences as I am using a camera and am kind of new at the photo posting thing. I am not sure why the MS photo editor program puts the corner cut-offs in but if anyone knows how to get rid of that feature please let me know.

Four Color #456/Uncle Scrooge #2 Front and Back

US2FC456FrtCvr.jpg[/img] US2FC456BckCvr.jpg[/img]

US 4

US4-Frt.jpg[/img] US4-Bk.jpg[/img]

US5

US5-Frt.jpg[/img] US5-Bk.jpg

US7

US7-Frt.jpg[/img] US7-Bk.jpg[/img]

And here are a few more.

US12

US12-Frt.jpg[/img] US12-Bk.jpg[/img]

US13

US13-Frt.jpg[/img] US13-Rv.jpg[/img]

US14

US14Frt.jpg[/img] US14Rv.jpg

I realize that my copies do not look as nice as other ones I have seen here as they were well read by me in my younger years but I thought I would post them anyways.

Hi there Threeseas - welcome to the duck thread!

Sometimes I think those classic Scrooge comics should look a little worn. I know the Australian reprints I grew up with were loved almost to death.

Some of the details

That lousy copyright insignia cheapens the artistry of Mr. Barks.

It wasn't the Sistine Chapel by

Michelangelo

Copyright Pope Julius II Productions 1512

This post brought to you by Wikipedia

Edited by BustedFlush

Great!! More competition for Duck books :cry:

Nice books, 3Cs and as to the MS photo editor query, I have never used it but I am betting there is a setting in it that sets the pictures/scans up as if they were in an "Olde Worlde" photo album.

It gives them the look of being mounted in an album. I'd hunt around in the program, use the Help function and then when I am totally pissed off with Microshaft I'd Google the question to get an answer I could understand.

Quick question for 40yrs (it's an exhibition I'd love to see) - what are the sizes of the originals and are they all oils or some acrylics?

Quick question for 40yrs (it's an exhibition I'd love to see) - what are the sizes of the originals and are they all oils or some acrylics?

They were mostly earlier works (early 70's) with one exception (late 80's) and I believe they were oils. You could really see a difference between the earlier and later work in the level of detail.

I picked up this odd little item at a flea market. It's a publication (that's kind of overstating its production values though) by an anarchist organisation - can you say 'oxymoron' boys and girls - in New Zealand.

I think it's extracts from the 1970s book here . Basically it's a Marxist rant about the interaction between the ducks and the peoples of developing or third world countries. While they kind of have a point to make, the ranty tone wears thin really fast.

And the last few pages are headed 'How to deal with the magical San Pedro cactus' and is about extracting mescalin from peyote cacti. Instructions include heating a beaker containing sodium hydroxide and benzine. Kids, don't try this at home! :o

How_to_read_DD_cover.jpg

How_to_read_DD_inside.jpg

Great book and if you ever come across another one and want to sell it please let me know.

It`s been a long time since I posted a new acquisition in this thread. Just picked this up!

DellGiant49.jpg

One of my first Dell Giants! As a kid I used to hunt these down at all the second hand sales, you could usually pick them up for a dime or so. Sure they were all beat to hell but I used to love them and read them all. I still have this one. I only wish I had known the thrill of buying them off the newstand, but I was a little too young for that. The closest I got was the Disney Comics Digests in the early seventies which were packed full of goodies. Also, I used to love the Dennis the Menace Giants and Specials; particularly the travel issues.

I took a punt and bought this on ebay. A 3.5 sold for $203 on Heritage last month and I got this for a bit over half that. I might look to upgrade some time, but this one has nice deep colors and is really tight. The guy said 'medium to dark tan pages' but at worst it's Cr/OW?? So for now it's dancing banana time... :banana:

wdcs20.jpg

I took a punt and bought this on ebay. A 3.5 sold for $203 on Heritage last month and I got this for a bit over half that. I might look to upgrade some time, but this one has nice deep colors and is really tight. The guy said 'medium to dark tan pages' but at worst it's Cr/OW?? So for now it's dancing banana time... :banana:

wdcs20.jpg

^^ Looove that cover! :whee:

Here is the kind of Duck buy I like, it was all serendipity too. My wife and I dropped the kids off for a birthday party at a laser tag place in Alhambra, CA. We walked down the street to have dinner and then afterwards took a stroll down the main drag. I noticed a new comics store and of course had to go in and take a look. It was a nice clean store with a friendly owner or storekeeper (YAY!) In the back they had the obligatory back issues bin with a big half off sign. I didn't expect much but decided to dig in and was surprised to unearth this guy. I think I have it already but somehow it didn't matter. The price ($15.) was right and I got to wake up this morning and read a classic Barks' tale in its original guise. A 61 year old subscriber copy from Humboldt South Dakota now has a new home. Thanks to Kenneth Hertle for taking such good care of it!

The Mickey Mouse serial is the Phantom Blot story too!

104266.jpg.0096c632fba9601c38b9ca91a717e655.jpg