• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,449 posts in this topic

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Sounds consistent with the kinds of circulation numbers for Disney books during this era that have been previously stated.

I've read that WDC&S peaked at around 3,000,000 in the first half of the 1950s. The USA population at the time was 150,000,000 - which means that 2% of the population bought a copy (and probably two or three times that number read it).

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Sounds consistent with the kinds of circulation numbers for Disney books during this era that have been previously stated.

I've read that WDC&S peaked at around 3,000,000 in the first half of the 1950s. The USA population at the tie was 150,000,000 - which means that 2% of the population bought a copy (and probably two or three times that number read it).

Circulation doesn`t mean "bought". It only means how many were printed and distributed, as this was the era when retailers could still return unsold copies.

I've read that WDC&S peaked at around 3,000,000 in the first half of the 1950s. The USA population at the tie was 150,000,000 - which means that 2% of the population bought a copy (and probably two or three times that number read it).

Circulation doesn`t mean "bought". It only means how many were printed and distributed, as this was the era when retailers could still return unsold copies.

I would be interested to hear from someone in the industry but my understanding is that circulation would not be the number printed or places on the newstand. Doing a quick look at wiki, it would be those comics sold or given away and that returns would not count.

A magazine's circulation is the number of copies it distributes, on average, for each issue. It is one of the principal factors used to set advertising rates. Circulation is not always the same as copies sold, often called paid circulation, since many magazines are distributed without cost to the reader. This is especially true for magazines dealing with business and professional topics. Readership figures are usually considered to be higher than circulation figures because of the assumption that a typical copy of the magazine is read by more than one person. In many countries, circulation figures are audited by independent bodies, such as the Audit Bureau of Circulations and BPA Worldwide, to assure advertisers that a given magazine does indeed reach the number of people claimed by the publisher

I would be interested to hear from someone in the industry but my understanding is that circulation would not be the number printed or places on the newstand. Doing a quick look at wiki, it would be those comics sold or given away and that returns would not count.

A magazine's circulation is the number of copies it distributes, on average, for each issue. It is one of the principal factors used to set advertising rates. Circulation is not always the same as copies sold, often called paid circulation, since many magazines are distributed without cost to the reader. This is especially true for magazines dealing with business and professional topics. Readership figures are usually considered to be higher than circulation figures because of the assumption that a typical copy of the magazine is read by more than one person. In many countries, circulation figures are audited by independent bodies, such as the Audit Bureau of Circulations and BPA Worldwide, to assure advertisers that a given magazine does indeed reach the number of people claimed by the publisher

I don`t see anything in the wiki about subtracting returns. From a layman`s reading, "distributes" would mean what the publisher ships out, before subtracting any returns. If not, what was the industry term for the gross number that got shipped out?

In any event, using your interpretation of the terminology, a print order of 1,600,000 would therefore imply a smaller "circulation" number, as I`m assuming that Disney did not have a 100% sell-through rate or no-return policy.

Edited by tth2

Just got this one in the mail today. No competition for it on ebay, which was nice. It was graded 4.5, which is about right, but this book is really solid and it's really nice to handle (and read).

wdcs_26.jpg

I love this Carl Buettner cover and, like others here, I think there's more than a little Walt Kelly in those bugs.

Just got this one in the mail today. No competition for it on ebay, which was nice. It was graded 4.5, which is about right, but this book is really solid and it's really nice to handle (and read).

wdcs_26.jpg

I love this Carl Buettner cover and, like others here, I think there's more than a little Walt Kelly in those bugs.

That is my favorite WDCS cover. Just classic!! How are the stories inside?

That is my favorite WDCS cover. Just classic!! How are the stories inside?

All of the stories in this book are reprints of newspaper strips. (The first new story in WDC&S was in #24 but I think everything in this one is a reprint.) Having said that, I love the Taliaferro DD strips, and the Mickey Mouse is The Bar None Ranch by Gottfredson, which is great. (This is the original art. This story was redrawn for a much later WDC&S.)

Just arrived from a boardie - thanks Matt.

wdcs_084.jpg

I hope to get somewhere between 10 and 20 of the 1-100 run this year. But the tortoise was chosen on the ticker for a reason...