• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Picked up a couple of copies of FC 147 just before Christmas. It goes with my proofs collection of the story.

5302915285_606639f3f9_z.jpg

what is the story behind the proof?

Found the proofs at at an antique show. The previous owner had several sets from Dell WDCS and FC comics. Said he found them a while back but I don't remember where. Perhaps a colorist or an editor had owned them.

bb

Picked up a couple of copies of FC 147 just before Christmas. It goes with my proofs collection of the story.

Found the proofs at at an antique show. The previous owner had several sets from Dell WDCS and FC comics. Said he found them a while back but I don't remember where. Perhaps a colorist or an editor had owned them.

bb

Boy, just goes to show you never know what you might find at a store or flea market. As a kid I remember running across old Ub Iwerks animation cells at a flea market and not being able to afford the $5. ticket. I knew who he was and what they were but didn't have the scratch. Could kick myself now for not figuring out a way to beg the money from Mom and Dad.

Nice piece of history there. Did you pick up the others too?

bb

Boy, just goes to show you never know what you might find at a store or flea market. As a kid I remember running across old Ub Iwerks animation cells at a flea market and not being able to afford the $5. ticket. I knew who he was and what they were but didn't have the scratch. Could kick myself now for not figuring out a way to beg the money from Mom and Dad.

Nice piece of history there. Did you pick up the others too?

No, I didn't pick up the others. Wish I had picked up the Bucky Bug proofs. Two copies of each proof were available. Don't know what happened to the dealer. He wasn't a comic book guy. I usually only find Sunday pages at antique shows. Have some nice Flash Gordon pages but they are only the regular newspaper print which hold up pretty good if stored away but break down pretty fast if put on display. Brian Block usually helps with the antique show arrangements and I think he usually gets first pick of any golden age. Nice guy though and he is always helpful if you have a question about comics.

A slow start to my aim to get stuck into WDC&S 1-100 in 2011, but at least it's a nice one.

This was on eBay - 'looks good for its age' and had a cropped photo. Sometimes it's worth taking a punt... :banana::banana:

wdcs_78.jpg

A slow start to my aim to get stuck into WDC&S 1-100 in 2011, but at least it's a nice one.

This was on eBay - 'looks good for its age' and had a cropped photo. Sometimes it's worth taking a punt... :banana::banana:

wdcs_78.jpg

In this case, I think that "looks good for its age" must be considered for understatement of the year! And from an eBay seller, too! :o

Looks great for its age, would be infinitely more appropriate. Excellent grab, Andrew! :applause:

wdcs_78.jpg

Andrew,Great pick-up from Ebay. Love the book! :applause:

Edited by ARK

wdcs_78.jpg

Great copy! And I bet those chicken dinners are of the utmost quality!

wdcs_78.jpg

In this case, I think that "looks good for its age" must be considered for understatement of the year! And from an eBay seller, too! :o

Looks great for its age, would be infinitely more appropriate. Excellent grab, Andrew! :applause:

Looks like a Barks' name on the box. Was that a Kelly or Carl Buettner joke or did Barks do the cover?

Edited by BB-Gun

wdcs_78.jpg

Looks like a Barks' name on the box. Was that a Kelly or Carl Buettner joke or did Barks do the cover?

I don't think it is a Barks cover - GCD doesn't note it as such - and his only "credit" seems to be something like a tribute from Buettner or Kelly (I'd favour the latter). Legend has it his editor(s) were none too happy with the display, but let it slide on the understanding "never again".

I don't think it is a Barks cover - GCD doesn't note it as such - and his only "credit" seems to be something like a tribute from Buettner or Kelly (I'd favour the latter). Legend has it his editor(s) were none too happy with the display, but let it slide on the understanding "never again".

It's Walt Kelly - he did some wonderful covers on WDC&S.

(thumbs u

I introduced two of my nephews to Duck books this past Christmas and made converts of both of them.