• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

My copy of the first volume of the Fantagraphics Barks Donald Duck library arrived today and I think it is a very handsome volume. It is about the size of a comic book and has four longer adventures, nine ten-page stories from WDCS, and several one page gags. I wish it had all been presented chronologically, but at least this will let them lead with some solid stories and hopefully Volume 1 won't mark the beginning and the end of the series. Of course I recommend it to everyone.

Rich

Cool, keep us posted via a scan or two. I would like to see what those Fantagraphics look like. (thumbs u

WDCS # 176 May 1955

The boys are prepared for Donald's reaction to their subpar grades.

WCAS_176.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

WDCS # 176 May 1955

The boys are prepared for Donald's reaction to their subpar grades.

WCAS_176.jpg

Cool book!

(thumbs u

Here are scans of my Uncle Scrooge comics:

26-10-201175145PM.jpg

26-10-201175148PM.jpg

26-10-201175151PM.jpg

26-10-201175157PM.jpg

26-10-201175200PM.jpg

:cool:

Hepcat,

Great run of Scrooges. (thumbs u I have, or my spreadsheet "says" I have # 8, but I cannot seem to locate it. doh!

Your issue number 9 is awesome. :headbang:

I have, or my spreadsheet "says" I have # 8, but I cannot seem to locate it. doh!

I hate it when my spreadsheeet seems to lie but it's typically my short boxes who ate the comics.

Sweet Scrooges Hepcat. I agree the yellow on that # 9 really pops.

My copy of the first volume of the Fantagraphics Barks Donald Duck library arrived today and I think it is a very handsome volume. It is about the size of a comic book and has four longer adventures, nine ten-page stories from WDCS, and several one page gags. I wish it had all been presented chronologically, but at least this will let them lead with some solid stories and hopefully Volume 1 won't mark the beginning and the end of the series. Of course I recommend it to everyone.

Rich

I just got mine too. I wish it were chronological too, but since the stories are stand-alone I guess it's okay. Mainly I wanted to start reading the stories to my 4-year old daughter who has been enjoying Prince Valiant and Little Nemo. My 7-year old son, who I know would enjoy reading these, has no interest in comics at all---only video games. Anyway tonight I started reading "Voodoo Hoodoo" to my daughter and my son heard me mention zombies and got interested. I asked him to keep reading it to his sister while I went to do a couple of things around the house. When I came back a while later, my daughter was off doing something else and he was buried in the book reading voraciously. Victory! :acclaim:

At last, I found (thanks to comicnut) an affordable copy of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 44 with "The Mad Chemist" by Barks. To make a long story short, Donald Duck's discovery of methylene (CH2) was cited in a technical article and the famous panel appeared in a review and a textbook! You can read more and see a scan of a reprint page here .

WDCS44x.jpg

Tough cover to scan! I had trouble descreening and showing that the background is dark blue, not black. Not the sort of copy that you high-grade collectors will wet your pants over, but I love it just the same.

Jack

Nice book Jack, the 'No Ration Points' on the side of the cart makes it extra

interesting

I agree, but that's also what makes it more expensive.

If the cover featured "Professor Donald Duck, the Mightiest Chemist in the Universe!" I would have scored a copy years ago.

(Not to mention the incipient beak abuse.)

Jack

Edited by selegue

Rich

I just got mine too. I wish it were chronological too, but since the stories are stand-alone I guess it's okay. Mainly I wanted to start reading the stories to my 4-year old daughter who has been enjoying Prince Valiant and Little Nemo. My 7-year old son, who I know would enjoy reading these, has no interest in comics at all---only video games. Anyway tonight I started reading "Voodoo Hoodoo" to my daughter and my son heard me mention zombies and got interested. I asked him to keep reading it to his sister while I went to do a couple of things around the house. When I came back a while later, my daughter was off doing something else and he was buried in the book reading voraciously. Victory! :acclaim:

Slick.

My 7 year old son, who will read anything, has decided he will not read comics.

When he was 2, he would stare at them forever, now no interest. The most frustrating thing is that when he does read them, he loves them. He laughs, his mouth hangs open, he can tell me what issues he's read, etc.

Then he tells me he doesn't like them. Go figure.

Now my daughter (9) has a two year long fascination w/ pre-code horror. I can't decide if I've failed or succeeded as a dad. All I know is my wife is pissed.