• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

most cases guide will be too high (average grade material). If this is hg material guide will be too low

I almost figured that. So I guess I need to hope for hg books to be in good shape. I just need to clue him in on how to grade properly and hope he is willing to make a deal. I hope he comes back in soon. It would be nice to be able to post some ducks... And make some bucks. Thanks

I was reading through this MMM from 1937 and was amazed to find a little something about a place just down the highway from where I am now. And 1937 was 75 years ago :o

In this issue......

MMM_0005.jpg

... there was this page about a MM states contest, and the winner of the grand sum of $10 happened to be from Oregon.

MMMNotipage.jpg

Although the story is kinda cute, its also kinda disturbing. I mean, thats a "hangin" offence isn't it :sumo:

MMMNotipagecrop.jpg

it shows how different times are now. imagine if a company published a childs age and address now nationally?

it shows how different times are now. imagine if a company published a childs age and address now nationally?

Heaven forbid! That would prompt mass hysteria these days.

:screwy:

Edited by Hepcat

I bought this book from Yellow Kid a couple of years ago, but it was only last month that I finally found the time to visit him and pick it up in person. It has special significance to me since it can be traced back to Leonard Brown's collection with absolute certainty. I've become fascinated with the history of the Collector's Book Store and have started collecting items with some sort of connection to it. A big thanks to Yellow Kid for letting me have this book.

118665.jpg.3f4ef032deb60201c7e5cfd8c09fdced.jpg

Anyone wanting to pay me today for books they will pick up in a couple of years is invited to PM me.

Anyone wanting to pay me Tuesday for a hamburger today, can try and find some one else.

Congrats on the successful hand-off. That must have been a hell of a meeting between you two guys. Oh, to be a fly on that wall. Congrats.

The book is great, but meeting YK was indeed priceless.

As for the two year wait, I am embarrassed to say that I bought some even more "pick-up-in-person"-er books from another board member in 2007-2008 that he is still waiting for me to pick up in person... Suffice to say that I am not a fan of rushing things.

I bought this book from Yellow Kid a couple of years ago, but it was only last month that I finally found the time to visit him and pick it up in person. It has special significance to me since it can be traced back to Leonard Brown's collection with absolute certainty. I've become fascinated with the history of the Collector's Book Store and have started collecting items with some sort of connection to it. A big thanks to Yellow Kid for letting me have this book.

One of the best Bark's tales ever! I actually leant my copy to my English teacher my Sophmore year to read and he read it while monitoring our study hall one day. Wish I had a picture of that. He loved it and didn't discourage my comic reading, hats off to him!

It was great to have tb visit for a few days and get to enjoy our mutual love for the work of Carl Barks--I am already looking forward to his return! In addition to viewing a few comics, it was also a real treat to look through my set of Collectors Showcase auction catalogs and prices realized sheets, and my set of Hake's Auction catalogs, with someone who clearly appreciated them. When tb left, I felt very comfortable knowing that the future of those parts of the hobby that meant the most to me were secure in the hands of future generations of true collectors like him.

Tis' the Season to post Duck Christmas covers. This little gem has been on my mind and I thought I would post in the duck thread to celebrate the season. This book is important to me for a variety of reasons.

Setting the stage, it is the mid-seventies and old duck comics can mainly be ordered via the Buyer's Guide. I have been putting together a collection for about four years but most of the books arriving via mail order are in Fair condition at best. They only cost 2-3 bucks and you get to read some great stories but they are pretty tattered. Reprints at book stores are virtually non-existent. It is a small miracle when Les Daniels reprints a Barks tale in color in his book "Comix." Gold Key comics are becoming harder and harder to come by on the stands as sales drop and distribution becomes iffy. So the duck collector feels rather deprived, a very different world than today.

My collecting Jones has ratcheted up to the point where I am taking a bus 60 miles north to New York City once a month on Sundays to attend Phil Seuling's monthly comic show. These shows are an outgrowth of his annual July 4th extravaganza. So this is '76 or '77 and I am 16 or 17 at the time; looking back I am happy my parents had confidence in my ability to navigate the mean streets of New York with my collector friend and high school buddy. Honestly, we were both scared to death and went right from the bus station to the convention floor with no detours.

At one of these shows I came across the book below and it is a must have for me. At $20 it represents probably a good 6-8 hours of hard work at my high school job where I was probably being paid between $2.50 to $3.00 per hour at the time.

When I got home I was even more surprised to read the story and learn that it featured a cross over with the Wicked Witch from Snow White, or so my memory tells me but I haven't read this story in many years. To remedy that I have just placed an order for the Fantagraphics book which reprints this tale and I can see how good my memory is 35 years on or so.

Enjoy:

118988.jpg.f83304b60707ca38a08667d75c587d26.jpg

It's wonderful that you've managed to hold on to such a beautiful copy for so long. It must have been very important to you when you were willing to make such a sacrifice. When I was a teenager, I didn't appreciate the appeal of high grade comics and would much rather have more reading copies for my savings.

I just received the first Fantagraphics volume and thought that the format was nicer than the previous US editions. When the European Barks library came out a few years ago, I had a great time re-reading all the stories. The reproduction of "Race to the South Seas" is nicer in the Fantagraphics book than in any other reprint I've seen. I also got copies of the other new Disney titles but am still reading those.

Regarding my meeting with Yellow Kid, it felt like I had just scratched the surface of what I wanted to talk with him about after my 4 day visit. We barely had time to get started on the auction catalogs although that had been high on my list of priorities.

First Barks book I ever read. Great story and great story.

Tis' the Season to post Duck Christmas covers. This little gem has been on my mind and I thought I would post in the duck thread to celebrate the season. This book is important to me for a variety of reasons.

Setting the stage, it is the mid-seventies and old duck comics can mainly be ordered via the Buyer's Guide. I have been putting together a collection for about four years but most of the books arriving via mail order are in Fair condition at best. They only cost 2-3 bucks and you get to read some great stories but they are pretty tattered. Reprints at book stores are virtually non-existent. It is a small miracle when Les Daniels reprints a Barks tale in color in his book "Comix." Gold Key comics are becoming harder and harder to come by on the stands as sales drop and distribution becomes iffy. So the duck collector feels rather deprived, a very different world than today.

My collecting Jones has ratcheted up to the point where I am taking a bus 60 miles north to New York City once a month on Sundays to attend Phil Seuling's monthly comic show. These shows are an outgrowth of his annual July 4th extravaganza. So this is '76 or '77 and I am 16 or 17 at the time; looking back I am happy my parents had confidence in my ability to navigate the mean streets of New York with my collector friend and high school buddy. Honestly, we were both scared to death and went right from the bus station to the convention floor with no detours.

At one of these shows I came across the book below and it is a must have for me. At $20 it represents probably a good 6-8 hours of hard work at my high school job where I was probably being paid between $2.50 to $3.00 per hour at the time.

When I got home I was even more surprised to read the story and learn that it featured a cross over with the Wicked Witch from Snow White, or so my memory tells me but I haven't read this story in many years. To remedy that I have just placed an order for the Fantagraphics book which reprints this tale and I can see how good my memory is 35 years on or so.

Enjoy:

You might have missed the reprinting of that story in Gold Key's Christmas Parade back in the sixties. But having the original in nice condition is much better.

I had a copy of the Christmas Tree story for a long time but never purchased the original until last year. When I read the story again, I was suprised to see that the witch from Donald Duck 26 (Trick or Treat) was in the story. And it was a wonderful story which should be no suprise since it was written by Barks. My little brother was especially fond of the Gold Key reprints of Christmas Parade 1 and 2 which I still have but I had to buy new copies since he wrecked the originals. But at least he read them...

5544773102_a26aa95b3b_z.jpg

Awesome! Congrats, Hans. :applause:

As for the two year wait, I am embarrassed to say that I bought some even more "pick-up-in-person"-er books from another board member in 2007-2008 that he is still waiting for me to pick up in person... Suffice to say that I am not a fan of rushing things.

You would be the ideal customer for Brasseye!