• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,449 posts in this topic

That is a great example of how the eye appeal of a book can be much better if the (in this case minute) flaws fall in areas outside the flow of the artwork. I'd always pick a copy like this over another copy with the same technical grade.

My own scanning is going slowly, but here's another Mickey Mouse Mag. The white lower right corner is actually part of the artwork; it's cool when a beautiful book also happens to be strong technically. I hope to have some more back from CGC soon.

mmm312_1200.jpg

(worship)

Pepe Lepew protoype?

:) The shot is actually a pretty direct adaptation of the punchline for the 1938 short

It was released on July 29 so it would have been playing in theaters for a week or so when the magazine appeared on the newsstands. Many of the covers were taken from publicity artwork produced by the promotions department at the Disney Studios. For example, the V4#2 golf scene that I posted a few pages back is a smaller part of a larger drawing where you see Donald in the background.

When looking at these file copies, it is sometimes hard to fathom that they came out at the same time as the early Donald Duck cartoons. This one looks as if it had been put in a mylar in right after it was printed. The circulation of this issue was 106,800 which was about 25% less than that of Action Comics 1.

Very Nice!

I can imagine it's very difficult to find a neat cover due to the huge amount of white on the cover. any idea who Fred is? :)

PS thanks for posting all those MMM. It does two things to me at once - makes me appreciate the beauty of the art and it makes me look like a bottom feeder with my books! *grin*

The "Fred" books all came from Jeff Lotman's collection which I bought from Disney Auctions around 10 years ago. Lotman used to be one of the biggest Disney collectors back in the 80s and 90s. My best guess is that he may have bought these books from the Collector's Showcase auctions back in the early 80s. I was looking for them in their catalogs when I visited YellowKid but didn't have time to go through all of them (there are many!). I'll have to check the next time I visit.

As for "bragging rights", I must have paid less than $300 for the V1#5 above but that doesn't prevent it from being one of my own favorite books. To me, the boards are all about sharing our passion/interest in whatever we collect, whether we just started or have been at it for 50+ years.

Below is another of my favorite books that arrived back today.

mmm22_94_1200.jpg

The "Fred" books all came from Jeff Lotman's collection which I bought from Disney Auctions around 10 years ago. Lotman used to be one of the biggest Disney collectors back in the 80s and 90s. My best guess is that he may have bought these books from the Collector's Showcase auctions back in the early 80s. I was looking for them in their catalogs when I visited YellowKid but didn't have time to go through all of them (there are many!). I'll have to check the next time I visit.

As for "bragging rights", I must have paid less than $300 for the V1#5 above but that doesn't prevent it from being one of my own favorite books. To me, the boards are all about sharing our passion/interest in whatever we collect, whether we just started or have been at it for 50+ years.

Below is another of my favorite books that arrived back today.

mmm22_94_1200.jpg

Thanks for the info on Fred. Very nice info, indeed!

And that football cover is classic! Definitely one of the issues I want to own and display - I recently acquired a Looney Tunes football cover. I just like displaying the sports-themed covers in my office, go figure! :)

And it also is very periodic - the classic hot-tempered donald. Barks drew him and his temper very differently, didn't he?

More seriously, though not answering your question, this is a neat graphic -

donald_duck_evolution_by_carlosmota-d4esy00.jpg

His feet keep getting smaller through the ages. Should we be worried?

Actually, it looks more like a periodic function -- small to large to small. They should be big again by about 2050.

Unless you're one of those anatine webfoot change doubters.

Jack

(probably caused by human activity)

Can always expect you to have the answers!

The 1940 duck is to all intents and purposes the modern duck, as any changes since then have just been tweaks.

I'm more curious whether the change from the primordial duck (1934) to cro-magnon duck (1940) was gradual, or did Donald one day suddenly transform from a clear 1934-based model into something that was clearly the 1940 model?

It'd be interesting to see portrayals of Donald throughout the intervening years to see if there was a clear and abrupt transformative moment or whether it was very subtle and gradual. Is there a missing link?

The 1940 duck is to all intents and purposes the modern duck, as any changes since then have just been tweaks.

I'm more curious whether the change from the primordial duck (1934) to cro-magnon duck (1940) was gradual, or did Donald one day suddenly transform from a clear 1934-based model into something that was clearly the 1940 model?

It'd be interesting to see portrayals of Donald throughout the intervening years to see if there was a clear and abrupt transformative moment or whether it was very subtle and gradual. Is there a missing link?

If no else answers your question, I do have the Disney Treasures series of the duck cartoons from 34 - 41 so I'll be able to answer it in a week or so.

I noticed when I was much younger how many cartoon characters went "round" during their development and became much less realistic. I assume that this is partly to appeal to young kids but it wouldn't surprise if there is some animation benefit from the shape change. A character based primarily on circles might be easier for a team to animate consistently.

The character evolution in animation I am most familiar with is the change in how Tom (of T & Jerry) evolved over time. The original Tom has more wisps of hair in his coat and more color patches (think hands and paws) than his later incarnations. I always thought it came down to a cost control issues and that as production cycles increased as more cartoons were run off per year, the drawing had to be streamlined and could since all these features were not adding to the gag set-up of the feature.

Speaking of abrupt transformation, the 1934 duck oddly reminds me of Tod Browning's Freaks (2 years earlier).

freaks-woman.jpg

JPS

Edited by selegue

If it's any help, Wikipedia states: "In 1936, Donald was redesigned to be a bit fuller, rounder, and cuter."