• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

The capstone to an unparalled collection! Congratulations tb!

I was in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago and tb was a gracious host and shared his set of MMMs. They are even more spectacular in person than how they appear in the scans and it is indeed fitting to see such an impressive copy of #1 join the group. (worship)

In what may qualify as the least surprising new purchase in the Heritage February auction, here is my most important win. After searching since 1999, I now have a VF-ish or better copy of every issue in the run: this was the last one I needed.

On a related note, I now need to find something new to collect...

Congratulations, and thanks for allowing us to share in the journey (thumbs u

In what may qualify as the least surprising new purchase in the Heritage February auction, here is my most important win. After searching since 1999, I now have a VF-ish or better copy of every issue in the run: this was the last one I needed.

Congratulations TB! An amazing collection to be sure. Have you thought about moving into Mickey Mouse watches and clocks? They would make a nice complement to the Magazine collection and are from the same era.

Thanks a lot, everyone. It'll probably be a while between upgrades from now on. The average grade for my 60 issues is 8.96 right now (if you count the V1#1 as an 8.0).

AJD: How cool that you found that button! And I am really curious if there may have been other ads pasted into the Australian issues.

Duffman: Thanks for the inspiration. I actually had have a couple of new long term projects running for a while but they are not ready for prime time yet. And I applaud Mr. Lesser for his outstanding sense of home decoration.

Mr. Strange: It was really nice having you out here.

The average grade for my 60 issues is 8.96 right now (if you count the V1#1 as an 8.0).

A true nerd :baiting:

Congratulations. That is a wonderful achievement and I appreciate the tenacity and endurance it takes to accomplish such a goal. :applause:

What aside Disney Ducks and MM got you into comics? Maybe you need to go back to your roots, subconscious (sp?) or not, to figure out your next goal.

The average grade for my 60 issues is 8.96 right now (if you count the V1#1 as an 8.0).

I was wondering whether it was 8.96 exactly or whether he rounded to 8.96 :kidaround:

I blame it on my 3 years at MIT: I was perfectly normal before that.

Btw., I also picked up the Lost Valley copy of "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb" (CGC 9.6) in a private deal yesterday. There have been some special circumstances (that I don't

want to get into again) why I never bought a high grade copy of this particular book before. The fact that this one had a known provenance was important to me.

Btw., I also picked up the Lost Valley copy of "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb" (CGC 9.6) in a private deal yesterday. There have been some special circumstances (that I don't

want to get into again) why I never bought a high grade copy of this particular book before. The fact that this one had a known provenance was important to me.

I think, for most of us, all you have to do is mention that book and "ultra high grade" in the same sentence. We understand your trepidation.

I think, for most of us, all you have to do is mention that book and "ultra high grade" in the same sentence. We understand your trepidation.

That's a book I need. What is the trouble here or what is there to look out for?

Congrats. That's fantastic that you have your run finished. It is an incredible accomplishment.

What to collect next. I nice run of WDC&S 1-100 or the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Four Colors would look great beside your MMM.

That's a book I need. What is the trouble here or what is there to look out for?

I was being a little presumptious as I don't remember tb's specific experience. However, I know that there has been a problem with this book being micro-trimmed and slabbed by PGX.

Found it:

The "Atom Bomb" premium...(cheerios I think) used to be one of the hottest items going back in the late seventees...I remember this "book" being talked about quite frequently and demand was very high...

Lately it seems to go for pretty good $$$ but it just doesn't seem to have the same luster as it used too...

This is an example of a book that is too easy to trim without detection. I would never touch a high grade copy whether it was certified or not. Board member arty already proved how one gentleman in Eugene, Oregon, has been trimming the book and selling it in unrestored PGX holders. Sadly, this is no longer a book I'd ever consider buying and I am warning every Disney collector I know against it.

Found it:

The "Atom Bomb" premium...(cheerios I think) used to be one of the hottest items going back in the late seventees...I remember this "book" being talked about quite frequently and demand was very high...

Lately it seems to go for pretty good $$$ but it just doesn't seem to have the same luster as it used too...

This is an example of a book that is too easy to trim without detection. I would never touch a high grade copy whether it was certified or not. Board member arty already proved how one gentleman in Eugene, Oregon, has been trimming the book and selling it in unrestored PGX holders. Sadly, this is no longer a book I'd ever consider buying and I am warning every Disney collector I know against it.

I grew up in Eugene. And I have heard some bad stories about a collector in Eugene and PGX. But, this post bothers me because it has the potential to impugn the reputation of the leading store owner in the area, and I don't think that is who you are referring to as his reputation (and eBay feedback) are perfect as far as I know. If you aren't going to name names, you might not want to name small towns for the fear of harming the innocent.

I realized that the old post was unfortunate, that's why I mentioned that I would have preferred to let that subject rest.

To be absolutely clear: I know that there are many super nice and honest collectors and dealers in Eugene, Oregon, and I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have one bad apple create so many problems.

To add a little bit of context, I once lost close to $2,000 on an eBay transaction with a seller from Eugene, Oregon. I think anyone who has tried something like that will understand that it hurts, not just financially. I made the comments that Transplant quoted in an effort to communicate a specific risk related to one specific Donald Duck comic with the intent of saving other collectors the experience I went through. My wording was unfortunate and I regret that.

Edit:

For anyone not familiar with this topic, this thread is a place to start. The "Show Us Your Ducks" thread has traditionally been a safe haven from such controversial subjects and, once again, I regret I inadvertently brought it up here.

tb:

I don't think it's a bad idea to share information like this ever. It only damages those who are doing wrong. However, in hindsight, I should have just referenced back to Kenny's thread which you linked. The story is ingrained in my psyche and I just assume most people know it by now. Thus, my comment that I knew what you were referring to.

To be absolutely clear: I know that there are many super nice and honest collectors and dealers in Eugene, Oregon, and I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have one bad apple create so many problems.

An excellent clarification.

Eugene is a big comic town. Witness the great art exhibit that UO art museum did on the art of the superhero.

That's a very good question. I don't have a fanzine, let alone a list, but I did buy this in the mid-70's at a retail book store and thought it great read.

The Disney mob didn't think it quite so wonderful (i.e. they were not making anything from it) and refused author Chalker permission to use ANY illustrations - in a pamphlet examining Barks :insane:

That of course explains the absence of Scrooge and the symbolic appearance of his accoutrements.

LTofSMcD1.jpg

LTofSMcD2.jpg

I just got home from a week overseas on business and it rained all the time I was away. Thankfully no flooding here, but a little roof leak that needs fixing. (Duffman - hope you haven't floated away up there!)

On the other hand, it also rained comics in my mailbox as a result of a run of February auction wins. Here's a couple for this thread.

eBay is bad kids - you should never buy books there. Never, ever. Then I can get ones like this:

wdcs_056.jpg

And this one was an absolute steal from Lonestar:

wdcs_050.jpg

A few more and I'll be halfway to the 1-100 run. :cloud9:

Welcome back Andrew :hi:

Trust the trip was not too tedious - as to weather, all good here. Wet, but nothing like the weather further south.

Nice comics and more Barks goodness there.

Things in Gold seem to have slowed down a lot since the onslaught (and subsequent calming) of cyclone Mitch.

Pick up any interesting books on the trip?