• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

If it's any help, Wikipedia states: "In 1936, Donald was redesigned to be a bit fuller, rounder, and cuter."

I'd say late 1936 then - :thumbsup: Notice the change is slow but most perceptible from November to December. Most of these examples, I pulled from the Silly Symphony strip featuring Donald Duck.

122646.jpg.27c56e892ad5a6fe78a58d2bca64f505.jpg

"In 1936, Donald was redesigned to be a bit fuller, rounder, and cuter."

I'd say late 1936 then - :thumbsup: Notice the change is slow but most perceptible from November to December. Most of these examples, I pulled from the Silly Symphony strip featuring Donald Duck.

I'd say just the opposite. I'd say the quantum leap in evolution took place between the February and August ducks, and the changes after that were more incremental. But my guess is that there was probably one more relatively dramatic change between Dec 1936 and 1940?

You're welcome, curmudgeon. :sumo:

I was considering keeping the timeline going one year at a time as time permits.

Now, tb can tell us where the image on the cover of the Feb. 1936 MMM come from. You are ignoring that it may be a recycled older image so your theory of quantum leap from Feb. to August could crumble :baiting:

The other V1 covers starting with #4 were based on shorts that were playing in theaters when the the magazine appeared. There were two cartoons featuring Donald around this time: Mickey's Polo Team (January) and Orphan's Picnic (February). I took a look at these and Donald doesn't look quite the same in them. He actually appears to be drawn somewhat inconsistently in the latter. I have seen very little in terms of promotional art from this time and don't know where the cover to V1#5 came from, but it must surely have been done by Disney Studios in California. The only artist I know who could have produced an illustration of this quality is Tom Wood who was responsible for the Good Housekeeping pages at the time. That would have made sense based on the correspondence between Roy Disney, Kay Kamen, and Hal Horne (the editor) that I posted parts of earlier: MMM was clearly a high stakes investment and Horne would likely have had access to the very best artists in the promotions department for the covers.

I'd say just the opposite. I'd say the quantum leap in evolution took place between the February and August ducks, and the changes after that were more incremental. But my guess is that there was probably one more relatively dramatic change between Dec 1936 and 1940?

I think the quantum leap in the change of Donald's appearance in the world of comic strips took place on August 30, 1936 when Donald Duck began to be featured in Silly Symphony.

Al Taliaferro's version of Donald is the version we all recognize today.

donaldduck1936-08-30.jpg

August 30, 1936

Compare Taliaferro's Donald to the one drawn by Floyd Gottfredson.

mickeymouse1936-03-22.jpg

March 22, 1936

I think the quantum leap in the change of Donald's appearance in the world of comic strips took place on August 30, 1936 when Donald Duck began to be featured in Silly Symphony.

You beat me to it - I think Taliaferro invented the look of the duck as we know him. Gottfredson's has its own charm, but the Silly Symphony version lent itself to more expression, later mastered by Barks, of course.

If it's any help, Wikipedia states: "In 1936, Donald was redesigned to be a bit fuller, rounder, and cuter."

As a little bit of trivia, the 3rd panel from Scrooge's sequence above is from the Sunday for which the original artwork is the earliest known to have survived. It is owned by an Austrian collector that I had the pleasure of visiting a few years back. He also owns a page from Carl Barks' unpublished "Silent Night" story from 1945; I've posted my own page from that story in the past.

You beat me to it - I think Taliaferro invented the look of the duck as we know him. Gottfredson's has its own charm, but the Silly Symphony version lent itself to more expression, later mastered by Barks, of course.

Of course. I almost mentioned Taliaferro's name but didn't ... I was too worried about getting my sequence posted. You'll note that the August Sunday posted by BZ is where I excerpted the panel I posted. I believe we can all thanks the INDUCKs and its COA for making this kind of inquiry even remotely possible :hail:

In what may qualify as the least surprising new purchase in the Heritage February auction, here is my most important win. After searching since 1999, I now have a VF-ish or better copy of every issue in the run: this was the last one I needed.

On a related note, I now need to find something new to collect...

122696.jpg.c87737f7009e89a30fd56007eda42f9d.jpg

Hey! I have one of those too - but mine has far more character:

MickeyMouse4442x600.jpg

Now, here's a question for Fowl and Rodent Magazine aficionados.

My copy has had an ad page pasted over the inside back cover, specifically done for Australia - note the "Competitions are void in Oz" disclaimer. This was definitely done at the time of distribution, and as you can see it is for a "savoury sauce" - P.M.U.

MM3IBC419x600.jpg

Can anyone tell me what's under this ad?

Just found this on eBay (thanks Jon). The PMU/MM advertising link extended to a lapel badge:

122701.jpg.aa290aaee105b011c64fe7d3f0e999b0.jpg

In what may qualify as the least surprising new purchase in the Heritage February auction, here is my most important win. After searching since 1999, I now have a VF-ish or better copy of every issue in the run: this was the last one I needed.

On a related note, I now need to find something new to collect...

Congrats tb! :applause:

That pinback is neat, Andrew.

Funnily enough I dragged out a Mickey Mouse reference book I hadn't looked at in years - thought it may give tb some ideas for fresh fields to conquer.

It was given to me by my mother in the late 80's - it's published 1986. Here's the cover:

MMCover1268x1441.jpg

It is an odd size, so things are a bit iffy on my scanner. There is a part devoted to pinbacks, here's a scan:

MMPinbacks738x632.jpg

There are a ton of beautifully preserved and photographed licensed items in this book. Everything from Record Players to magazines, piggy banks to original art. There is one picture that stands out - the caption reads:

"In his small apartment in New York, Robert Lesser sits surrounded by his collection which includes everything related to American comic memorabilia from early Mickey Mouse toys Felix the Cat, Betty Boop to Popeye.He has been collecting for 20 years."

Close examination of the picture (and there is a lot to admire) will also reveal a bed, bottom left.

I believe it's a single. lol

MMCollector748x636.jpg

I just realised that I didn't congratulate tb for compiling a fabulous collection. And for sharing it with us, which is a real treat. :applause:

I was going to add that whatever you collect next should be something I don't want, but I think we are in different ends of the pool, so take your pick. There's a lot of wonderful stuff out there. I'll be the guy in the shallow end with the water wings.

Congrats on the MMM 1! I saw that in the auction and was wondering to myself if you were going to chase it.

I also saw the restored MMM1 in the same auction. Thought about it for a second but refrained. :)