• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,455 posts in this topic

Ha, I was just about to bump this thread myself. Nice pickup 40Y - that's one of my favourites. A Looney Tunes #10 goes really with that one!

Here's my newest:

wdcs_065.jpg

If I can find a nice #64, I'll be solid 55 - 100. Slooooowly gettin' there!

I wondered how the quest was going Andrew. Look like you pulled the latest rabbit from the hat with that one!

Yes, Rich that #22 even looks nicer in person than the scan which seems to amplify the defects. I might have to pull that one out of the slab or pick up a reader copy to go with it.

I’m wondering if there’s still some surviving Mickey Mouse fans in the States, it looks you’re all over the ducks… lol

The Gottfredson reprints are nice but limited in audience and other than the game Epic Mickey there has been no compelling reason for folks to connect with Mickey in a long time. He really became a corporate icon in the seventies / eighties and the Disney machine has kept him that way. There have been some surprising marketing moves to make him more relevant lately but he remains more of an Icon than a character to discuss and celebrate. […]

While I have read a number of the reprints in the Gemstone series it is hard to understand the significance or depth of the history involved. I have a beautiful Italian volume of Donald Duck but can't read it unless I painfully try and figure it out. The artwork is beautiful though. […]

I would love to be able to read some history of this material.

I re-browsed the thread as I am trying to pick up with the most important Scarpa (and other italian-authored) stories published in the U.S.A.

I was considering the idea of writing something about the history of the italian Disney school, putting also the material published in the US in historical perspective.

Would you appreciate it? I think it‘s not only worth, but needed, and I was just scared not to be adequate to the task, but willing to try if some duck fans will follow… ;)

What you say about Mickey Mouse dropping from the US audience’s awareness is something unthinkable in Europe, it‘s about the very foundation of all Walt Disney has done, and the universality of his work. I have seen some recent material from Boom studios and again: this is all wrong, Disney characters may parody occasionally other things but they are not meant to be "superhero parodies".

I understand the basis for this trend has been probably set when Disney comics required Len Wein to re-launch the comics line in the early 1990s, but again this is all wrong… :P

I’m wondering if there’s still some surviving Mickey Mouse fans in the States, it looks you’re all over the ducks… lol

The Gottfredson reprints are nice but limited in audience and other than the game Epic Mickey there has been no compelling reason for folks to connect with Mickey in a long time. He really became a corporate icon in the seventies / eighties and the Disney machine has kept him that way. There have been some surprising marketing moves to make him more relevant lately but he remains more of an Icon than a character to discuss and celebrate. […]

While I have read a number of the reprints in the Gemstone series it is hard to understand the significance or depth of the history involved. I have a beautiful Italian volume of Donald Duck but can't read it unless I painfully try and figure it out. The artwork is beautiful though. […]

I would love to be able to read some history of this material.

I re-browsed the thread as I am trying to pick up with the most important Scarpa (and other italian-authored) stories published in the U.S.A.

I was considering the idea of writing something about the history of the italian Disney school, putting also the material published in the US in historical perspective.

Would you appreciate it? I think it‘s not only worth, but needed, and I was just scared not to be adequate to the task, but willing to try if some duck fans will follow… ;)

What you say about Mickey Mouse dropping from the US audience’s awareness is something unthinkable in Europe, it‘s about the very foundation of all Walt Disney has done, and the universality of his work. I have seen some recent material from Boom studios and again: this is all wrong, Disney characters may parody occasionally other things but they are not meant to be "superhero parodies".

I understand the basis for this trend has been probably set when Disney comics required Len Wein to re-launch the comics line in the early 1990s, but again this is all wrong… :P

I would love to read whatever you would like to share on this history. Your efforts would only be appreciated. I know there is a rich history to be shared but it is not one that I would ever know where to go find. The Google Babblefish application for comic related books doesn't seem to exist yet.

Poor Mickey. He is certainly a popular character for merchandise but I don't bother with the printed material anymore as it just seems silly. I should go look again but the few BOOM issues I have picked up had no appeal to me. The only hope I could see for him would be in a digital guise but they don't seem to have figured that out yet.

@40Yrs, Worldsbestcomics: Thank you, for me a two-people audience is more than enough to get motivation. :foryou:

I just have to finish cleaning up the mess I have: my house is crowded with books and comics and I have little spare time, but since I can use the work of my literate friends as a guide, and a starting point, I feel confident. (thumbs u

BTW, I am also sorting all my late 1980s up to 1995 Disney comics to keep just a small part of them and I have to say Bruce Hamilton did often an awesome work, but Disney did not follow…

I wasn’t aware of the BOOM editions until recently and I have to admit that, while they published some things of a quite disappointing recent european production (the "superhero" series), from what I see they also featured a few good italian stories.

I have seen they published a serial by Casty, which is one of the few italian authors to emerge in the last ten years which has had quite an acclaim in Italy.

He made Mickey team-up with Eega Beeva once again, and used once again the Gottfredson’s Rhyming Man.

The Fantagraphic edition is wonderful, it has just one BIG problem, IMO: strips are reproduced TOO SMALL in size. :(

There were some very early WDCS in the for sale threads. Andrew did you pick up by any chance? The #2 looked like a good price.

Not this time around. The combination of price and eye appeal wasn't quite right for me, and I have my sights on a few goodies for some of my other collection niches right now.

The Fantagraphic edition is wonderful, it has just one BIG problem, IMO: strips are reproduced TOO SMALL in size. :(

You're talking about the Gottfredson's Mickey I assume. Funny you should post about it as I finally sat down and read most of Volume 2 on Sunday afternoon and I will have to agree about the size. Not only are we missing details in a sequence like Blaggard Castle but the text gets hard to read. Guess I've reached the curmudgeon part of my life ... BUT this is better than having to get the old German bootlegs. I am very happy with this project. I received Vol. 4 last week which reminded me to catch up with the series. Volume 2 has been a pleasure to read so far. The race horse sequence was a little slow compared to the others but it's amazing how much more appealing the stories in Volume 2 are compared to Volume 1. Can't wait to read further.

You're talking about the Gottfredson's Mickey I assume. Funny you should post about it as I finally sat down and read most of Volume 2 on Sunday afternoon and I will have to agree about the size. Not only are we missing details in a sequence like Blaggard Castle but the text gets hard to read. Guess I've reached the curmudgeon part of my life ... BUT this is better than having to get the old German bootlegs. I am very happy with this project. I received Vol. 4 last week which reminded me to catch up with the series. Volume 2 has been a pleasure to read so far. The race horse sequence was a little slow compared to the others but it's amazing how much more appealing the stories in Volume 2 are compared to Volume 1. Can't wait to read further.

Yes, I was talking about that. There have been so many editions, always incomplete and often colored, that it would have been great if Fantagraphics managed to reproduce them closer to their original size, this time. We have just had a 100% complete edition in italian, which is slightly larger but still small, and unfortunately in color.

The articles and the editorial pieces were done very well, so it’s a pity and I would be enthusiastic with the Fantagraphic edition, but the small size really kills it for me.

I’m not going into the appreciation of the single stories as I was just judging the edition: it was about time that the Gottfredson strips had a flawless edition, but I can’t look at them so small.

What are the "German bootlegs"?

Re: German bootlegs.

Can't quite recall the exact name but the paragraph below refers to what I had in mind:

"In the mid-'70s, a German comic book club got special permission to reprint several volumes entitled The Complete Daily Strip Adventures of Mickey Mouse (1930-1955). Each volume covered one year's worth of daily strip art. Disney granted permission since the volumes were only meant for the club members and the total print run was limited to no more than 500 copies."

Re: German bootlegs.

Can't quite recall the exact name but the paragraph below refers to what I had in mind:

"In the mid-'70s, a German comic book club got special permission to reprint several volumes entitled The Complete Daily Strip Adventures of Mickey Mouse (1930-1955). Each volume covered one year's worth of daily strip art. Disney granted permission since the volumes were only meant for the club members and the total print run was limited to no more than 500 copies."

I don't think Disney would grant that permission today!