• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,455 posts in this topic

I just received my VERY FIRST Golden Age issue of Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories, with one of my favorite stories written and drawn by Carl Barks: "Three Dirty Little Ducks". I also love the Donald Duck feature with the Seven Dwarves, and the beautiful page with the War Insigna.

WaltDisneysComicsandStories_v4_No_007.jpg

I am satisfied with the grade, only thing is that, being from 1944, this is one of the issues with the "dreaded single staple" for the war shortages, and in this case I have seen the cover paper around the staple is delicate, so I fear to detach the cover by just handling it… (shrug)

Not to mention a great cover! I love the duck/dwarf covers but have yet to pick one up.

Not to mention a great cover! I love the duck/dwarf covers but have yet to pick one up.

I love it. :whee:

And the cover refers also to the inside story (a Donald/Seven Dwarves story), which I think it’s not always the case with Disney covers.

Italian authors (especially Guido Martina since the 1950s) used very often the classic Disney characters in adventures involving the feature film characters.

I recall Martina did a Seven Dwarves story with Goofy. :)

BTW, some issues with the Dwarves/Donald Duck covers contain brief Gremlins stories by Walt Kelly. I’d love to pick up one, sooner or later!

Edited by vaillant

I'm getting an "untrusted site" warning on AJD's inducks links (I am using Firefox).

Anyone else having a problem?

Oh, and I didn't realise the Welsh were so fluent in Italian :baiting:

Fixed - the problem was that I was logged into my Inducks account when I copied and pasted the hyperlinks.

BTW, I've made my 'virtual collection' public. Feel free to have a look - the best way is to scroll down to the foot of the page and start from 1940.

2950537110_44c66dea4c_o.gif

Just in case you wanted to cut up the cover to see the animation. Those later FC stories by Barks are more like extended WDCS stories. Not as spectacular as FC 29 but more fun per page.

Fabulous - thank you BBG! If only you'd told me before I cut my copy up. :sorry:

Only kidding - do I recall that was an animation of FC 291 as well?

Picked this up a couple of months ago because the price seemed right, but only just noticed the label notation that it is from the estate of Carl Barks. I'm sure there are many around, but this is the only one I have (I think!) and it's kinda neat. (Although I wish Unca Carl had stacked his comics more carefully, so this one didn't have a dust shadow. :D )

lf-33.jpeg

hm

Did it have any sort of Certificate of Authenticity? I know AJD has a similar Barks Estate book and the COA was very, very nice - colour photo of CB and all.

Anyway, a friend of mine just sent me these (for free :o ) , and I think they are neat.

Subscription copies of Walt Disney Comics and Stories, with the original mailers, and all to the same subscriber.

The "latest" one is almost 50 years old, so I don't think he'll mind if the address is visible:

08122012018.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the wrappers:

08122012019.jpg

And here is the oldest book (March 1956) temporarily released from its paper tomb:

08122012020.jpg

Anyone know/heard of Frank Blankis of Salida, Colorado lol ?

What I find interesting is that the four books I have span almost 10 years. A long time to be subscribing to a "kiddie" book, regardless of how much Barksian goodness is contained.

Maybe his son, (Frank Jr?) also had a subscription?

Anyway, the books are beautiful, just dripping with colour, white paged and a few dings at the corners but really really pretty for a naked comic over 50 years old.

And, before anyone asks I'll be leaving them in their subscription wrappers. :cloud9:

hm

Did it have any sort of Certificate of Authenticity? I know AJD has a similar Barks Estate book and the COA was very, very nice - colour photo of CB and all.

And, before anyone asks I'll be leaving them in their subscription wrappers. :cloud9:

Awesome stuff Peter. I really like getting a snapshot of a previous time, like those subscription books. I have to wonder why they are still in their wrappers, especially since they spanned ten years...?? Why would they subscribe for so long and not even unwrap them? Anyway, that's your gain.

And since you mentioned it, here's the Barks estate COA:

CoA_US56.jpg

I only wish it was in a CGC slab. Oh well.

hm

Awesome stuff Peter. I really like getting a snapshot of a previous time, like those subscription books. I have to wonder why they are still in their wrappers, especially since they spanned ten years...?? Why would they subscribe for so long and not even unwrap them? Anyway, that's your gain.

And since you mentioned it, here's the Barks estate COA:

CoA_US56.jpg

I only wish it was in a CGC slab. Oh well.

There it is :cloud9:

From the look of the comics, I don't think they were removed until I came along - either that or he read and replaced them very carefully.

Anyway, lots of questions likely to remain unanswered.

hm

Anyway, a friend of mine just sent me these (for free :o ) , and I think they are neat.

Subscription copies of Walt Disney Comics and Stories, with the original mailers, and all to the same subscriber.

The "latest" one is almost 50 years old, so I don't think he'll mind if the address is visible:

08122012018.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the wrappers:

08122012019.jpg

And here is the oldest book (March 1956) temporarily released from its paper tomb:

08122012020.jpg

Anyone know/heard of Frank Blankis of Salida, Colorado lol ?

What I find interesting is that the four books I have span almost 10 years. A long time to be subscribing to a "kiddie" book, regardless of how much Barksian goodness is contained.

Maybe his son, (Frank Jr?) also had a subscription?

Anyway, the books are beautiful, just dripping with colour, white paged and a few dings at the corners but really really pretty for a naked comic over 50 years old.

I saw those in the recent auction and thought of bidding on them as they looked fun. Oddly it looks like Mr. Blankis might have been an older man when he got these. Well one never knows the story behind these things.

Blankis Link

Anyone know/heard of Frank Blankis of Salida, Colorado

Those are from the Salida pedigree and will be the whitest copies of those issues that you'll ever see. Save the wrappers but I'd suggest you lay the books out under an encyclopedia as they are fresh enough that they may very well flatten out.

We actually know quite a bit about Frank because of his comics. He collected duck books and war comics. He wanted to serve in the military but was unable to because he was deaf.

There's even a thread on the Boards devoted to his books.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=686295

OFF32.jpg

"40yearscollecting" and "adamstrange".

Thank you very much. Your contributions are part of what makes this Board special :golfclap:

I was not aware these were part of a pedigree. If only there was a book that outlined the known pedigrees . . . hm

Seriously, I now wonder if the fellow who gave them to me knew what he was doing.

Anyway, thanks for filling in a LOT of gaps :applause:

2950537110_44c66dea4c_o.gif

Just in case you wanted to cut up the cover to see the animation. Those later FC stories by Barks are more like extended WDCS stories. Not as spectacular as FC 29 but more fun per page.

Fabulous - thank you BBG! If only you'd told me before I cut my copy up. :sorry:

Only kidding - do I recall that was an animation of FC 291 as well?

2947466014_0f29ab2e76_o.gif

I actually cut this one up when I was 10 to see the animation. I scanned and made another copy a few years ago and sliced that up for this animation.

By the way, my brother was very upset when he discovered that I had cut up one of his favorite comics.

Edited by BB-Gun