• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,468 posts in this topic

8402258385_719fd712f0.jpg

I know it's not just Donald but I thought it was a great cover.

This was given to me after attending the movie "FUN and FANCY

FREE"...they gave out quite a few to all the kids.

mm

That's another great book. I didn't realize they did those give aways then. Fun and Fancy Free is an underappreciated Disney movie.

8398887981_00f62b7492.jpg

This was the first Disney I bought off the newsstand.

mm

That’s just a great cover. Marty, must have been a thrill to find it at the newsstand. In Italy it was used on a 1949 annual.

I love the layout, and how they added the year. :)

it_AO_48137.jpg

That's another great book. I didn't realize they did those give aways then. Fun and Fancy Free is an underappreciated Disney movie.

Agreed. I saw the movie as I was very, very little, and totally loved it. It has a strong fairitale atmosphere, while the characters remain their own. (thumbs u

mm

That's incredible, Mr. Mann. I never connected the "Mickey and the Beanstalk" cover with the movie, but I was enjoying it on YouTube after your post. Now I'll always think of your anecdote when I see this cover.

Barks' "Snow Fun" story in that issue of Comics and Stories has always been my favorite among his early 10 pagers. I bought at CGC graded copy last year and, although I hardly ever take books out of their slabs, I am really tempted to making an exception with this one.

Agreed. I saw the movie as I was very, very little, and totally loved it. It has a strong fairitale atmosphere, while the characters remain their own. (thumbs u

Absolutely. Mickey and the Bean Stalk is easily the best of the Donald/Mickey/Goofy efforts. When my kids were little, we had the VHS tape -- just the M and the BS short, not the whole movie. My kids watched it over and over and over again. At one point, I could easily recite most of the dialog. :D

mm

4102445905_e3b1d4a3bc_z.jpg

I didn't know FC 157 was a giveaway.

It has a 10 cent price tag on it and it matches my paint book. The story hour series book was also a giveaway in softcover.

3376640960_b9125187a1.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Thanks Mr. Bedrock! (thumbs u

wdcamps_98_front_zps55b0f051.jpg

First Scrooge in WDCS and a great Kelly cover to boot!

And a great absurdist Barks story -- one of my faves. (thumbs u

I've wanted a reading copy for a while but just never pulled the trigger. I'm a Scrooge fanatic so this is the bomb. :headbang:

mm

BTW, since it seems to me there is no generic Disney Comics thread, I guess other animals are freely allowed here. lol

Edited by vaillant

Great acquisition. :headbang::applause:

Do you happen to know what the Gerber comic book scarcity index has that book rated?

Thank you. :) It's a gerber 6 - I didn't know that until I just looked it up. I thought almost all of the duck books would be a 3 or 4. According to Gerber this one is tougher than those around it.

Great acquisition. :headbang::applause:

Do you happen to know what the Gerber comic book scarcity index has that book rated?

Thank you. :) It's a gerber 6 - I didn't know that until I just looked it up. I thought almost all of the duck books would be a 3 or 4. According to Gerber this one is tougher than those around it.

Always a thrill to get anything above a 5. Nice book! (thumbs u

wdcamps_006_zpsf4279f95.jpg

:banana:

One of my goals this year was to get a single digit WDC&S. Tick. :cool:

That's a great looking copy, AJD. Even Geppi's copy of this issue was only a CGC 7.5 which says something about how difficult it is. I was lucky to out-snipe him for my own NM-range copy 10 years ago.

wdcamps_006_zpsf4279f95.jpg

:banana:

One of my goals this year was to get a single digit WDC&S. Tick. :cool:

Well that mission has been accomplished in efficient style, very early in the year, so what are you going to do now :baiting:

As an aside, the cover artists must have enjoyed dreaming up ever more bizarre and ironic "Duck" situations.

Donald is a duck, so how come he needs an umbrella? Water rolls right off him, correct?

It's a bit like those other covers where he and the nephews put on pants in order to go swimming.

Hmm. This is beginning to form a theme hm

As an aside, the cover artists must have enjoyed dreaming up ever more bizarre and ironic "Duck" situations.

Donald is a duck, so how come he needs an umbrella? Water rolls right off him, correct?

It's a bit like those other covers where he and the nephews put on pants in order to go swimming.

Peter, it is just possible to overthink things. :baiting:

Peter, it is just possible to overthink things. :baiting:

I am shocked, shocked I say, that you of all people - an analyst -could possibly consider anything "overthought" . . .