• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

The first time I went to Europe in 1982 I was astounded by the stores devoted solely to comic albums that I came across in Paris. I also loved that there were small cinemas that only showed Disney cartoons. While I was in Italy I did not come across any such stores though I suspected they existed but I just did not find them.

There weren’t many comic book shops in Italy up to the 1990s. You have got to keep in mind that their conception was pretty different than the american model which emerged in the 1980s with independent publishers and direct editions vs. newsstand ones. Italian shops which sold comics were more on the "used" and "antiquary" side, with no proper regulations about pricing, grading, etc. They also may have had used and antiquary books. There are still some surviving, but now they are generally re-modeled after the american comic shop model, with new titles and occasionally some import stuff.

In some cities, there were no comic shops at all.

Just got these back from The CGC. They were part of that Disney collection from Denver that walked in the store a couple of months back...

fc159.jpg

fc386.jpg

Just got these back from The CGC. They were part of that Disney collection from Denver that walked in the store a couple of months back...

fc159.jpg

fc386.jpg

I told you to let me buy them raw. Now you'll be stuck with those boat anchors for years.

fc159.jpg

fc386.jpg

Adding them to your sales thread? hm

:applause:

Very sharp FC 178 William. Underrated key IMHO.

As to the FC #9, does this mean I can look forward to your undercopy becoming available shortly :baiting: ?

lol

It would have to be a coverless to be an undercopy

Any FC 9 is a good FC 9! (thumbs u

:applause:

Very sharp FC 178 William. Underrated key IMHO.

As to the FC #9, does this mean I can look forward to your undercopy becoming available shortly :baiting: ?

lol

It would have to be a coverless to be an undercopy

Any FC 9 is a good FC 9! (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Sorry for the cross post, but these belong here. And I'm pretty excited to have them

fourcolor9_zpsdabbb1a8.jpg

fourcolor178_zps317c6d79.jpg

That signature in the middle of the Donald Pirate gold cover,now i may be wrong here but it appears that those words are Jackie and the french word for Scrooge which is Picsou or coin pincher if you will.

Edited by montrealfilmguy

Sorry for the cross post, but these belong here. And I'm pretty excited to have them

That signature in the middle of the Donald Pirate gold cover,now i may be wrong here but it appears that those words are Jackie and the french word for Scrooge which is Picsou or coin pincher if you will.

I read 'Picron'. :shrug:

fc159.jpg

fc386.jpg

That Ghost of the Grotto is gorgeous and a book you don't see in high grade too often. Did you ever list the Mickey Mouse Four Colors from this collection for sale? What a beauty of a collection; great stuff!

[Did you ever list the Mickey Mouse Four Colors from this collection for sale? What a beauty of a collection; great stuff!

I still have not decided what I'm going to do with them. They are so nice...and so cheap.

I read 'Picron'. :shrug:

lol

Awww.you're drunk on comics again.

[Did you ever list the Mickey Mouse Four Colors from this collection for sale? What a beauty of a collection; great stuff!

I still have not decided what I'm going to do with them. They are so nice...and so cheap.

:gossip: Sell them to a collector who will cherish them always! Say, 40Yrs!

Thanks for posting these, vaillant. Like just about anyone who grew up in Germany or Scandinavia in the 1970s I was a big fan of Bottaro's stories. I suspect we did not get to see the most esoteric Italian stories as they probably were censored. A few years ago, I got to meet a collector who befriended Bottaro and - after years of trying - eventually got him to sell some of his original artwork, including an incredible page from the late 1950s where Scrooge is chopping off the nose of one of the Beagle Boys with a sword. It's unbelievable to me that all the treasures of Italian Disney art art completely unknown to US collectors, but, then again, it has some advantages, too.

I recall the story! It‘s one of those weird time-travel stories where Scrooge and/or the Beagles find other versions of themselves in different times and places. A sort of Fantastic Four #5 without Doctor Doom's time platform.

I can’t see the advantages, besides of course the fact we don’t have a horde of US collectors all after our original art… lol

Here's a link to the Bottaro page. Do you know if it actually was published? I remember many of these wonderful stories with Witch Hazel, Scrooge, Goofy etc. meeting each other, but not this particular one. I must have read hundreds of great stories by Italian artists like Scarpa, Campi, and even the tie-together stories by Perego (who I understand was quite a character with a highly unusual background?) bring back fond memories when I see them.

----

Re. the "Trick or Treat" splash panel mentioned in another post:

The organizers of the upcoming pan-European Carl Barks exhibition have approached me and asked to loan the original art for this page, along with my other Barks comic book pages. I really hope the project, which is very ambitious, pans out so a new generation of European fans will be able to see his comic book art in person. Since the early Barks originals are so rare, part of my motivation behind collecting them has always been to make a sampling of them available to museum exhibitions. Paradoxically, the oil paintings are more accessible and certainly more common than the comic book pages from Barks' peak years. And, to be completely honest, I find the latter more impressive and certainly more historically interesting.

(thumbs u

[...]

fc386.jpg

I just cannot believe that a raw copy of this issue survived in this shape: I would have thought that all existing high grade copies had been bought by Barks collectors and stored away in mylars long ago.

[...]

fc386.jpg

I just cannot believe that a raw copy of this issue survived in this shape: I would have thought that all existing high grade copies had been bought by Barks collectors and stored away in mylars long ago.

Makes you wonder what other gems are out there? Over the years I have met some folks who dropped off hand comments about how they saved their Uncle Scrooge comics from when they were kids. Depending on their fastidiousness there might still be some beuts out there to come to light. An architect friend of mine here (see fastidious) tells me how when he was a kid in the sixites his parents would buy him the action model cars (Batman, OO7, etc.) from Corgi and he would not even take them out of the boxes and has them to this day!!

[...]

fc386.jpg

Makes you wonder what other gems are out there? Over the years I have met some folks who dropped off hand comments about how they saved their Uncle Scrooge comics from when they were kids. Depending on their fastidiousness there might still be some beuts out there to come to light. An architect friend of mine here (see fastidious) tells me how when he was a kid in the sixites his parents would buy him the action model cars (Batman, OO7, etc.) from Corgi and he would not even take them out of the boxes and has them to this day!!

A ton of saved Dells out there (as we learned once eBay got rolling). But most of them are beaters. For a 9.4 White pages to come out of nowhere -- that's really something.