• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,455 posts in this topic

wdcamps_006_zpsf4279f95.jpg

:banana:

One of my goals this year was to get a single digit WDC&S. Tick. :cool:

Well that mission has been accomplished in efficient style, very early in the year, so what are you going to do now :baiting:

As an aside, the cover artists must have enjoyed dreaming up ever more bizarre and ironic "Duck" situations.

Donald is a duck, so how come he needs an umbrella? Water rolls right off him, correct?

It's a bit like those other covers where he and the nephews put on pants in order to go swimming.

Hmm. This is beginning to form a theme hm

He wants to keep his shirt dry? hm

He wouldn’t have needed a shirt in the first place, if we want to be niggling, but still Donald & all the other ducks wear a shirt and no pants, while Mickey wear pants & no shirt. Now go figure this out… lol

True story: In the early days of the Disney Studio, Mickey and Donald did "rock, paper, scissors" over the available clothing ... and Mickey won.

wdcamps_006_zpsf4279f95.jpg

:banana:

One of my goals this year was to get a single digit WDC&S. Tick. :cool:

Andy,

You might check with Terry's Comics for some other early WDCS. He had 4-5 on display at the California Comic Convention today in the $500 - 700 range. All looked like solid mid-grade books.

Frank

8402258385_719fd712f0.jpg

I know it's not just Donald but I thought it was a great cover.

This was given to me after attending the movie "FUN and FANCY

FREE"...they gave out quite a few to all the kids.

mm

That's another great book. I didn't realize they did those give aways then. Fun and Fancy Free is an underappreciated Disney movie.

4102445905_e3b1d4a3bc_z.jpg

I didn't know FC 157 was a giveaway.

It has a 10 cent price tag on it and it matches my paint book. The story hour series book was also a giveaway in softcover.

3376640960_b9125187a1.jpg

8474181095_b4b33e230d_c.jpg

Mickey's Robin Hood story also started with a few weeds (from WDCS 11). It was later redrawn for the Silly Symphony giant #6

I kind of like the art in the earlier rendition of the story. I think it was a reprint from the daily Mickey newspaper stories.

Yes, I think that's right. The story was also reprinted (beautifully) in the Another rainbow 'Mickey Mouse in Color' book. I read it the night before last, and it's a lot of fun.

I kind of like the art in the earlier rendition of the story. I think it was a reprint from the daily Mickey newspaper stories.

Yes, I think that's right. The story was also reprinted (beautifully) in the Another rainbow 'Mickey Mouse in Color' book. I read it the night before last, and it's a lot of fun.

I always thought of it as two independent stories that were stitched together like other adventures by Gottfredson. The first part, which is just outstanding, is has the feel of a mid-30's short. Gottfredson was clearly inspired by "Mickey's Garden", but he transferred the idea brilliantly to the newspaper format. It may well be my own favorite Gottfredson sequence of all time and it totally overshadows the so-so Robin Hood part.