• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,468 posts in this topic

Much as I love Unca Carl, he was pretty much gassed by the time he did these last few Scrooge stories.

RAD54DC52013213_104038_zps17ac934f.jpg

Nice book! :headbang:

Thanks. This one kind of fell into my lap in the CLink auction. One of the few that did! :D

Much as I love Unca Carl, he was pretty much gassed by the time he did these last few Scrooge stories.

I know what you mean. Those last few are 'by the numbers'. Still, even second rate Barks is better than a lot of what followed.

Nice book, btw.

I know what you mean. Those last few are 'by the numbers'. Still, even second rate Barks is better than a lot of what followed.

It’s time to turn to the italian classics, which were – nonetheless – nurtured by Barks and Gottfredson. It’s time to push US publishers to pick up Disney comics once again, and in a smart way. ;)

It’s time to turn to the italian classics, which were – nonetheless – nurtured by Barks and Gottfredson. It’s time to push US publishers to pick up Disney comics once again, and in a smart way. ;)

We can only hope! (thumbs u

This is a 1975 drawing Carl Barks sent to Scarpa, suggesting a story idea involving Brigitta.

The result had been "Zio Paperone e il Casco d’Oro" ("Uncle Scrooge and the Golden Bunch"), one of the most original (and "barksian") Scarpa stories from the 1970s, which i read and loved as a kid. :cloud9:

RewQKQH.jpg

This book seems to be really hard to find in high grade. This one is a lowly 7.0 but it was cheap and my horde continues to grow!

dd26_front_7_zps9a62cb20.jpg

Edited by mdktkd2

Let’s see how many "known" characters you can spot here… :D

And Mickey Mouse still holding a gun… ;)

paperopoli.jpg

That is really nice! What is it from?

This is an illustration Scarpa did specifically for endpapers of the italian edition of his collected works (a limited print run hardcover series which represented all his stories with critical commentary in black & white). The series had ugly covers (their graphic design, I mean, the illustrations were original Scarpa pieces).

The books can be seen from this web search: https://www.google.it/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:it-IT:official&channel=s&hl=it&q=le+grandi+storie+di+romano+scarpa&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=WQ0yUd_0JoKetAaa1oHYDg&biw=1465&bih=735&sei=XQ0yUbiKK8XhtQbJtIGoCA

This one is my favorite cover:

it_CCD__18.jpg

done for the (enclosed) 1961 story "Mickey Mouse emperor of Calidornia", one of the finest Scarpa stories ever, and probably his most "american" as he deals with an ancestor of Mickey Mouse from which he apparently inherited the US state of "Calidornia" (the Disney version of California, where Mousetown and Duckburg are – and also Junkville, this was a Scarpa intuition). This is the INDUCKS page for the story:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+TL++274-AP (unfortunately still unpublished in the USA).

That "Trick or Treat" is nice for sure. If I find one cheap I’d love to have it. Of course I have somewhere the story in italian, but to me it’s an important key as it’s not only Barks, but the first Hazel witch, and also deals with Halloween that in the last years we have witnessed as a sort of "forced import festivity" here… :screwy:

This one is another character created by Scarpa: he’s the nephew of Ellsworth:

il-rampollo-di-gancio.jpg

First appearance is from the 1975 story "Topolino e il rampollo di Gancio" ("Mickey Mouse and Ellsworth’s offspring"), an italian Disney classic:

it_gcd_130k_001.jpg

INDUCKS page for the story: http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+TL+1048-B

This book seems to be really hard to find in high grade. This one is a lowly 7.0 but it was cheap and my horde continues to grow!

Another of the greats! Do you have copies of the missing pages?

You know I remember seeing those once, I think, but I do not have copies. Can you, or anyone, post them?

Thanks!

Let’s see how many "known" characters you can spot here… :D

And Mickey Mouse still holding a gun… ;)

paperopoli.jpg

That is really nice! What is it from?

This is an illustration Scarpa did specifically for endpapers of the italian edition of his collected works (a limited print run hardcover series which represented all his stories with critical commentary in black & white). The series had ugly covers (their graphic design, I mean, the illustrations were original Scarpa pieces).

The books can be seen from this web search: https://www.google.it/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:it-IT:official&channel=s&hl=it&q=le+grandi+storie+di+romano+scarpa&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=WQ0yUd_0JoKetAaa1oHYDg&biw=1465&bih=735&sei=XQ0yUbiKK8XhtQbJtIGoCA

This one is my favorite cover:

it_CCD__18.jpg

done for the (enclosed) 1961 story "Mickey Mouse emperor of Calidornia", one of the finest Scarpa stories ever, and probably his most "american" as he deals with an ancestor of Mickey Mouse from which he apparently inherited the US state of "Calidornia" (the Disney version of California, where Mousetown and Duckburg are – and also Junkville, this was a Scarpa intuition). This is the INDUCKS page for the story:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=I+TL++274-AP (unfortunately still unpublished in the USA).

That "Trick or Treat" is nice for sure. If I find one cheap I’d love to have it. Of course I have somewhere the story in italian, but to me it’s an important key as it’s not only Barks, but the first Hazel witch, and also deals with Halloween that in the last years we have witnessed as a sort of "forced import festivity" here… :screwy:

Thanks again for posting this. It's great to see how healthy the Disney market is in other countries. I wish it was that vibrant here.

You know I remember seeing those once, I think, but I do not have copies. Can you, or anyone, post them?

Thanks!

My copies are buried so I cannot post. We are remodeling and my best books (and copies of this) are buried in the back of a cabinet with boxes stacked in front. Wish I could get to them as I would like to post my copy of 26. Sorry.

Thanks!

They are in the CB Library hardcover (I think) and, iirc, in a standalone Gladstone reprint devoted to that issue. Don't have scans--or the books, for that matter!--handy.