• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Shirley was an artist, he carefully choose the three little ducks eyeliner green, to match their hats… lol

That Frozen Gold at Metropolis is like a siren to Barks collectors. It lures you in with its beauty and if you buy your bank account will crash on the rocky shoals!

I have just seen it… :eek:

Speaking of Ducks, I got in the mail today a copy of the latest volume in Fantagraphics' Carl Bark Library. I really like this series. The reproductions look good with the color being well done, the paper has a nice weight and texture, the books are easy to handle (compared with the old Another Rainbow edition), and they open flat without breaking the binding.

They are printing the stories in chronological order within the volumes, but out of order across volumes. I think I read somewhere that they are publishing first what they think will be the most appealing stories to make sure the series succeeds. Although only (I think) the fourth volume published, this one is Vol. 6 in the series. The immediately preceding volume ("Only a Poor Old Man") was Vol. 12. Seems as if it may be a longish wait before they get the whole series in print.

The Fantagraphic series is great, I regret having bought the Gladstone Carl Barks library in graphic novel format in the early 1990s. If I were in the USA, I’d sell that and buy only selected volumes of this edition.

They just published an italian edition, but I don’t like it as translation is pretty good but the graphic adaptation is not.

I don’t like the Mickey Mouse Gottfredson series, however, it would be the perfect edition, but they reproduced the strips too small.

9007237654_3e20f0ed44_c.jpg

and Barks received credit for drawing "The Lemonade King" which was the key to the discovery of the "Good Duck Artist". Yes, I know you know since you are checking this thread but I don't see a lot of scans of other collector copies posted on this thread.

and Barks received credit for drawing "The Lemonade King" which was the key to the discovery of the "Good Duck Artist". Yes, I know you know since you are checking this thread but I don't see a lot of scans of other collector copies posted on this thread.

I didn't know that. Nor had I seen the first Barks cartoon as far as I recall - must not be in the AR Barks library. So thanks for posting those!

I didn't know that. Nor had I seen the first Barks cartoon as far as I recall - must not be in the AR Barks library. So thanks for posting those!

Me either :blush: although I had seen the cartoons.

Is this the book and therefore basis for Malcolm Willits (and the Spicer boys) "discovering" that "The Good Duck Guy" was Carl?

If that's so, it ain't exactly Columbo grade detective work, which I find kind of deflating.

Oh well . . .

Me either :blush: although I had seen the cartoons.

Is this the book and therefore basis for Malcolm Willits (and the Spicer boys) "discovering" that "The Good Duck Guy" was Carl?

If that's so, it ain't exactly Columbo grade detective work, which I find kind of deflating.

Oh well . . .

Willits probably didn't use the book to track him down. The first letter to Willits is dated 1957 which predates the book (1960). Perhaps I am wrong but I have always connected the two. It is still the only publication with credit for Barks at the time. Bill or John Spicer's fan letter to Barks is dated April or May 1960.

9017202670_d6fdda8ee5_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

The story published in USA was a little different.

"Finally, the two brothers collaborated on a neatly typed letter stating that one of them was a high school art teacher who was planning a class that would include a discussion of comic art, specifically Disney comic art. In particular, the “teacher” wanted to write to the artist who had been doing the Disney Duck stories for the last 15 years to ask about the technical side of writing and drawing comics.

A woman at editorial in Disney wrote back with the name and address of Carl Barks. John Spicer wrote a letter to Barks on April 11, 1960. Since it was the first real fan letter Barks had received, he was suspicious about it. Finally, Barks wrote back."

I've had the pleasure of talking with both Malcolm Willits and John Spicer about their meetings with Barks. I met twice with John back in 2001, and he told me that their visit took place early in the summer of 1960. John and his brother, Bill, brought along a friend who had no particular interest in Barks.

To add a personal touch to the history, the pictures below show items that Barks signed for Spicer and Willits during those visits. Willits had Barks sign a number of items, including the bound volume below.

us8.jpg

willits61.jpg

Well, it seems that something as simple as "Who and When" gets confused when it comes to funny books. lol

It also seems that given the dates and circumstances outlined here that the "Lemonade" book was not the sole "sign post" that pointed to the Duck artist's identity.

Makes me appreciate the early fan efforts a great deal more :applause:

I've had the pleasure of talking with both Malcolm Willits and John Spicer about their meetings with Barks. I met twice with John back in 2001, and he told me that their visit took place early in the summer of 1960. John and his brother, Bill, brought along a friend who had no particular interest in Barks.

Did John happen to mention if he and his brother knew ahead of time that Barks was going to write them and Willits into a story?

strangerthanfiction3.jpg

WDC&S #249 (June 1961)

Did John happen to mention if he and his brother knew ahead of time that Barks was going to write them and Willits into a story?

strangerthanfiction3.jpg

WDC&S #249 (June 1961)

This is why these Boards are so good. I did not know this until today - and now, of course, I'll have to get a copy.

Thanks BZ :applause:

love that story.. this is from the period Barks experimented with some funky panel lay-outs- that top half of that page is just exquisite. I remember one story in particular where he really went to town with this style - amazing that the editors let him! - "vacation time" from Vacation Parade 1: Vacation_Parade_1p.jpg

but at some point he stopped this lay-out style- maybe the editors told him "yeah umm this is getting abit too funky"?