• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,449 posts in this topic

Is there a story or provenance behind the fc 29 bound volume? The only individual comic bound volumes that I've seen belonged to Malcolm Willits. Those are highly desirable to some collectors due to their role in early comics fandom.

I said here a while back that I was chasing a grail which no one else would care about. Well, here it is:

Mobil_09_zps0e08fd0a.jpg

This is the last of 24 of these 1964 giveaway comics I was after. #9 is by far the toughest book in the run. I've seen two in ten years of looking. The other one I lost after placing a snipe that I thought was 4x FMV - only to not even be the underbidder. I bought my first few in 2003 and thought this would be quick.

There were sets printed in Australia and New Zealand. The NZ issues are stapled, and have different ads on the back. The #9 above is a NZ issue.

Here's a couple more:

Mobils_15_16.jpg

There were 17 duck books (10 pagers from WDC&S cut down to fit the format - there's about 7 pages in total so some editing was needed), 6 MM and an adaptation of Sword in the Stone. Here's an inside page from #9, with typical Australian colouring:

Mobil_09_interior_zps9a2dab48.jpg.

I'll post a group shot when my camera batteries are recharged.

Oh, yeah. :banana:

Edited by AJD

I said here a while back that I was chasing a grail which no one else would care about. Well, here it is:

Mobil_09_zps0e08fd0a.jpg

This is the last of 24 of these 1964 giveaway comics I was after. #9 is by far the toughest book in the run. I've seen two in ten years of looking. The other one I lost after placing a snipe that I thought was 4x FMV - only to not even be the underbidder. I bought my first few in 2003 and thought this would be quick.

There were sets printed in Australia and New Zealand. The NZ issues are stapled, and have different ads on the back. The #9 above is a NZ issue.

Here's a couple more:

Mobils_15_16.jpg

There were 17 duck books (10 pagers from WDC&S cut down to fit the format - there's about 7 pages in total so some editing was needed), 6 MM and an adaptation of Sword in the Stone. Here's an inside page from #9, with typical Australian colouring:

Mobil_09_interior_zps9a2dab48.jpg.

I'll post a group shot when my camera batteries are recharged.

Oh, yeah. :banana:

Very nice. Congrats. (thumbs u

I'll give a :applause: to that. (And that's a size that lends itself well to the group shot!)

Amazing that these were distributed weekly, not monthly. I love the "This comic is a gift from your friendly Mobil Dealer... Call in with Mum and Dad next week" blurbs on each one.... What a different era that was.

Congratulations, AJD. It's always great to see international editions and these are very cool indeed. It's also fun that there's a way to tell the Australian version from the New Zealand one.

I'm pretty sure there was an Australian dealer selling sets of those on eBay years ago (c. 2000). I believe it's the same dealer I bought a seemingly high-grade DD 1 from that came back from CGC as trimmed. :o

I'm pretty sure there was an Australian dealer selling sets of those on eBay years ago (c. 2000). I believe it's the same dealer I bought a seemingly high-grade DD 1 from that came back from CGC as trimmed. :o

I think it would be in the Public Interest if this dealer was named.

If he made amends, then (thumbs u

If not, :eek:

I think it would be in the Public Interest if this dealer was named.

If he made amends, then (thumbs u

If not, :eek:

It's been so long, I can't remember his name. I didn't get back to him when the book came back as trimmed because the price he sold it to me for was low (maybe people who saw it in hand suspected something!) and I expected, correctly as it turned out, that I could still flip it.

I know some people dispute this -- and they may be right -- but my limited experience in those early CGC days was that the stigma on PLODs was much less than it is today. So I was able to sell it for more than what I had paid, including the cost of slabbing.

I'm not sure of the grade, but I think it was 9.4. So if there is a 9.4 trimmed PLOD DD 1 still out there, that's probably the book.

Do you think it would be possible to scan the backs of an Oz issue and a Kiwi one just so we might all more easily differentiate between the two? :wishluck:

Amazingly, that's a really good question Peter. :baiting:

You made me pull out a few and take a look. It turns out that the first 8 have identical backs - because the comic story extends to the back page. After that they are different. Here's the NZ #9 (upper) and Australian #10 (lower):

Mobil_9_10_backs_zps7f3e2bdf.jpg

So, for 1 - 8 it's only the staple (and the tiny indicia on p4) that's the diagnostic feature. The backs of the Australian ones from #9 up vary, and but are always a Mobil ad. Here's two more (#22 and #23):

Mobil_22_23_back_zpse70d4f65.jpg

For completeness, I should mention that half a dozen issues were reprinted in NZ in 1984. They're the same size and format, but they have 8 extra pages of puzzles in the middle and - more importantly - a different Mobil logo on the cover, and a Pan Am (remember them?) ad on the back:

Mobil_NZ_17_front_zpsee5e2d62.jpg

Mobil_NZ_17_back_zpsedc6de74.jpg

Could be - Heritage sold a complete set around 2006 (before I knew ha.com existed :cry: ) for some piddling amount. It's entirely likely that I picked the worst time in human history to collect these. lol

Some strong results for high grade duck books on Heritage today. The early WDCS really pulled in some strong dollars; beautiful rare books in magnificent condition.

While I have mixed feelings about strong duck prices, it would be a shame if such beautiful books had gone for a song.

Wonder if we'll see any of them here? hm