• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

test posting

found this board recently. i have been admiring all the high grade ducks and learning a lot of info from the previous postings.

posting one cover as a test.

WDC233.jpg

You passed! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Welcome to the boards! hi.gif

thanks all for the welcoming. after reading through 60+ pages of this thread this weekend, i thought this might be the right place to find some more info on my one of my books from all you knowledgeable duck collectors.

i traded a four color 282 in VG for this march of comics 69 about FN many years ago. initially i thought it was one of the holy grails- a barks march of comics since i've never seen this issue before and i didn't have my guide right then. i felt i got the short end of the trade deal shortly after discovering it was not a barks issue. i stored the book away but reasoned i would find another FC282 before i would find another MOC 69. i eventually got another FC282 but i've only seen one or two copies of MOC 69 at cons and ebay but i wasn't looking hard. my questions are what were the circulation numbers for march of comics overall and how common is this issue. the gerber photojournal gives a scarcity index of 4 which is the same as for the donald one-shots for this period. wikipedia says moc issues were not common. my copy is a variant compared to the gerber copy which has the red goose logo. thanks for any info!

marchofcomics069.jpg

I think there really is no such thing as a variant with the MOCs. Most folks only buy the individual characters instead of MOC as a whole so the interest in variants would probably be low. I do agree however that in general they are pretty uncommon. The main problem is that most folks just don't buy them at all with certain exceptions. Anyone trying to get a VF run of MOC's would be a serious glutton for punishment. Even Fine or better.

Like the Cheerios giveaways I think fraudulant trimming is more of a problem with these books than with "regular" comics due to the paper quality and the difficulty in determining a trim job.

Doesn't MOC 69 have a one page by Barks? All in all it seems like a fair trade unless you just can't stand Donalds not drawn by the man. Here's a MOC 41 and another one from ebay. Also with different stores at the top. It would be interesting to see the numbers and examples of stores using MOC, but I can't imagine much of a difference in price.

Diz011.jpg

MarchC41.jpg

Edited by ft88

well there's a PGX 5.0 FC 282 up right now for $49.99 and a raw MOC 69 (VG) at $61, each with 3 days to go, that'll give you some idea of the relative monetary value when they wrap up. It looks like you probably got the better of the deal, particularly because there are plenty of FC 282s out there.

Yup nor are there HG of any of the Barks Ducks it seems. He commented though that he gave up a VG 282 which can pretty easily be found for under $75 I would think.

I think the multiples from low grade to high grade are the greatest for the cartoon book genre. Some of these can be had for $10 or $20 in G and then $1000 or $2000 in 9.2 or 9.4. Crazy

Ed

Edited by ft88

in hindsight i probably got a fair deal for the MOC 69 although i think then my FC282 was valued slightly higher than the MOC 69. my first choice was to get another barks one-shot but the dealer didn't have any. i wasn't thinking of scarcity then but i just wanted more barks ducks. now that i'm looking i see quite a few MOC 69s even though i think it's not too common. aren't there a lot of poughkeepsie file copies of every western publishing comic out there?

i think a complete set of march of comics is possible since there are file copies out there. recently i saw bound sets of a continuous run of four color comics at an auction house. so conceivably one could acquire a full set of MOC this way if one is so inclined.

I think the multiples from low grade to high grade are the greatest for the cartoon book genre. Some of these can be had for $10 or $20 in G and then $1000 or $2000 in 9.2 or 9.4. Crazy

Makes sense when you think about it. The print runs for the Duck books were HUGE. But of course they were read like crazy by kids and got trashed at an even higher rate than regular comics, hence the high availability of lower grade copies.

So hardly any high grade or ultra-high grade copies. In fact, but for the file copies, I think the number of ultra-high grade copies of most Duck books would be microscopic. They hardly appear in any of the GA pedigrees (my FC 178 is a Rockford, but according to Mark Wilson it was unique amongst the other books in that collection; otherwise I believe Crescent City has some decent runs, the Davis Crippen collection seems to have more or less complete runs with some decent grades in there, particularly for WDC&S, and I think there are some Recil Macon ducks).

Here's my duck addition for the thread. 1523238-ComicScan0265.JPG

This is from 1942, issue #19 and has an interior article with bits and pieces about bob hope, gracie allen, roddy mcdowell (" the little english boy") and lots of other great items.

1523238-ComicScan0266.JPG

1523238-ComicScan0266.JPG.8c444513e378d658ded8393909ae3e1b.JPG

Too bad the mile high ducks were likely destroyed frown.gif

It's really interesting that that's the current story, because when I was in Colorado, I had heard they all went to one collector to help finance the deal. I wonder if there's any truth to that and the owner and Chuck have a pact of silence.

Conspiracy theory. thumbsup2.gif

In issue 15 (?) in the interior there's a panel that has this exact image. Kind of a nifty tid bit of worthless info. Ever wonder how the Disney characters are animals yet they are always messing around and getting messed with "real" animals?

Always loved how Barks made most people in Duckburg sort of Dog faced.

Here's my duck addition for the thread. 1523238-ComicScan0265.JPG