• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

Congrats on the new WDCS. All of them have really nice eye appeal for their technical grades, I agree with your priorities on this. And, you are able to enjoy the interiors which are even better than the covers! I'll never get tired of browsing through early Barks comics with white pages.

This #50 is BONE WHITE. I got it really cheaply because the coupon is clipped off of the back cover, but I'll take a copy this fresh with that defect over a tan copy anyday.

1386486-wdcs50.jpg

Wow! 893whatthe.gif I would love to see that book in person! Any story behind the book, i.e., what allowed it to be preserved so well? Do you know where the owner lived?

This isn't my book, but it just sold at the Heritage auction. There are some seriously wacked out prices being paid lately!

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #92 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Dell, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 White pages. Walt Kelly cover and also has a Carl Barks story and art. Overstreet 2006 NM- 9.2 value = $220. 1 in 9.4, none higher. Sold for $2,200!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

wdcs92.jpg

This isn't my book, but it just sold at the Heritage auction. There are some seriously wacked out prices being paid lately!

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #92 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Dell, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 White pages. Walt Kelly cover and also has a Carl Barks story and art. Overstreet 2006 NM- 9.2 value = $220. 1 in 9.4, none higher. Sold for $2,200!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

Wacked out is right! I thought the $1550 for WDC&S #88 was pretty aggressive already, but at least that issue was notable for being Gladstone Gander's first appearance. If I were still in the market, I probably would've gone at least to $1200 or so for #88. But $2200 is really stunning for #92, if for no other reason than that price indicates there were at least 2 bidders still interested at the $2000 level. Amazing.

a tear is a tear..except if CGC doesn't think so.

is a tear better if it is a bindery tear or worse if it is

a result of mishandling ?

I can never understand O'st's grading definitions..maybe that's why he's been banished to Mississippi ! :

Edited by adams

a tear is a tear..except if CGC doesn't think so.

is a tear better if it is a bindery tear or worse if it is

a result of mishandling ?

I can never understand O'st's grading definitions..maybe that's why he's been banished to Mississippi ! :

The generally accepted practice among GA collectors has not been not count off too heavily for a bindery tear or other production defects. This was never universally applied but was the common approach in the 90s, so far as I could tell.

Distributor marks get off more lightly than scribbling on the cover for a similar reason.

Rational? Maybe not. But then what is rational about assigning a single numeric value to describe the condition of a multi-layer, 3-dimensional disposable commodity designed for children? confused-smiley-013.gif

is that a tear in the upper left corner of your FC #178...9.6 ?

Bindery tear, which is permitted in this grade. confused-smiley-013.gif

CGC obviously screwed up on this one. You should sell this to me now cheap before it's value plummets even further.

the point being..if there is a grading scale it should apply equally to all types and ages

of comics..a single unified method.

No arbitrary cut off dates for "minor restoration (CT) or GA tears..

all I am looking for is consistency

the point being..if there is a grading scale it should apply equally to all types and ages

of comics..a single unified method.

No arbitrary cut off dates for "minor restoration (CT) or GA tears..

all I am looking for is consistency

Peace and brotherhood among all men would be wonderful too, but oh well.

No one's forcing you to accept CGC's or Overstreet's grading. If someone were to offer you the 9.6 FC 178 (which by the way will never happen) and ask for a 9.6 price, you're more than welcome to decline on the basis that you think it's only "X" grade because of the tear.

If you want to start a debate on grading standards, please start a new thread elsewhere (I would suggest the General forum) and don't hijack this thread, which is for discussing Duck books, not grades.

CGC obviously screwed up on this one. You should sell this to me now cheap before it's value plummets even further.

As Steven Tyler once wrote so eloquently: "Dream on, dream on!" 27_laughing.gif

As Steven Tyler once wrote so eloquently: "Dream on, dream on!" 27_laughing.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif Curses! Foiled again by the calm light of reason!

didn't mean to hijack any thread...

I'm a newbie at this forum stuff

just boils my blood that CGC hijacked the existing grading system

with their secret standards that no one is privy to....

so much for developing skills over many years of experience

Tim,

Good luck on finding the FC #9 in high grade (unrestored)

You should hear the story from Bill Cole on his uncovering

a major stack of these many years ago !

Edited by adams