• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

Did you pick this one up post-auction? I seem to recall it and several pieces of original art from Hamilton's collection didn't sell and it really surprised. He's owned some very select pieces for a very long time and this rejected cover is one of those. I love the art on this piece and I think you did extremely well in picking up. Many of the other surviving Barks' pieces don't have the quality of your new cover -- which is a shame, but not anything that we can change.

You gonna frame it and hang it where you can see it regularly?

Did you pick this one up post-auction? I seem to recall it and several pieces of original art from Hamilton's collection didn't sell and it really surprised. He's owned some very select pieces for a very long time and this rejected cover is one of those. I love the art on this piece and I think you did extremely well in picking up. Many of the other surviving Barks' pieces don't have the quality of your new cover -- which is a shame, but not anything that we can change.

You gonna frame it and hang it where you can see it regularly?

Thanks. I was willing to pay the price but also thought it was significantly higher than FMV. Therefore, I did not bid since I was hoping for a post-auction deal. If it had sold, I would have focused on the other original cover (Uncle Scrooge 39) instead. I ended up the underbidder on that lot (through eBay Live, which was a lot more unnerving than phone bidding). After the auction, I contacted Heritage with a lower bid on the WDCS 96 cover, but they explained that it might take "longer than expected" to get a reply (probably because the seller was an estate). With the BIN-clock running out, I decided to pay the full reserve to make sure I got it.

In the beginning, the drawing will be in a safe deposit box along with my other most valuable stuff. I intend to display it at home with my other originals a bit later. Also, I've heard there will be a major Barks art exhibit sometime in 2007 and am thinking about offering my collection if security and insurance can be arranged for.

Congratulations on a great pick up! Because Barks did the coloring himself, I don`t think the art is stigmatized at all by being colored in.

The coloring has grown on me, not least after I bought it.

First, the drawing is from 1948. This makes it one of only 11 1/2 pages of Barks' comic book art from the 1940's to have survived (and the oldest of all surviving covers).

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Great addition to your awesome collection. Congrats on a cool.gif pick-up. Couldn't have gone to a nicer guy. thumbsup2.gif

In a totally unrelated vein, here's an item I saw in a Hallmark store today. Very nice in person - Everyone should put it on their Halloween buying list -

15843.jpg

Here's a WDCS 50 I just bought. Funny story, a guy has a run of WDCS issues 40 to 200 and I take a look at them. Quite a few had tape on the spine and loose covers while 3 or 4 were very nice. As we start to talk prices he mentions that really, he doesn't want to sell them because he likes the stories so much. I asked if I could buy 3 or 4 but he said no, but he'll let me pick out one book to have for free for coming out to his house. As long as it didn't have one of the stories he liked. I did pay him for this book for a great price and that was that. Had to carry it home on the floor of my car as I had no bag for protection etc. Putting it on the seat guarantees I'd need to slam on my brakes.

Kind of fun to see a full run of Disneys like that with no missing issues. Typical poor grades though. Usually you can buy a collection or you go home with nothing. Odd to get one only one book but its a beauty.

wdcs50.jpg

wdcs50bc.jpg

Speaking of Gottfredson, am I the only one here who listened to his interview by Arn Saba (sp?) when the Comics Journal was running some audio archives on their website?

I was very impressed by Gottfredson. He came out as a very nice person from that interview, and he was very articulate. Very good stuff. Among what he discussed was what Ed is wondering about: his switchover first on the scripting then on the art on the strip.

I'm not just saying this to taunt people. I do have the MP3 files (large ~ 13Megs) for anyone interested.

Scrooge

I'd love to get a copy of that interview. I hope you still have it ? :-)

Mads

Well, I get ready to post some books, and once again I have to follow a crazy tb post! I would LOVE someday, to have a FR copy of that book, just one! Someday....

I was rereading some of the thread, and the bit about how the issues get more common as the run progresses up until #50 or so really caught my attention. I agree with it to a good degree. I think this book comes up far less then surrounding issues. Anyone else notice that? Even on most dealer lists this one is always absent. I am incredibly psyched about this copy as its one of my fave covers of the run. I'll post a couple others I never got around to scanning as well...

1383668-wdcs45.jpg

1383668-wdcs45.jpg.6f7d6d21bc1bcc81cc97d5e19ba0502a.jpg

Well, I get ready to post some books, and once again I have to follow a crazy tb post! I would LOVE someday, to have a FR copy of that book, just one! Someday....

I was rereading some of the thread, and the bit about how the issues get more common as the run progresses up until #50 or so really caught my attention. I agree with it to a good degree. I think this book comes up far less then surrounding issues. Anyone else notice that? Even on most dealer lists this one is always absent. I am incredibly psyched about this copy as its one of my fave covers of the run. I'll post a couple others I never got around to scanning as well...

1383668-wdcs45.jpg

This is a very pleasing cover with an out-of-the-ordinary but effective color scheme. I can see why you like it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Something you don't see every day...

wdcs1_65.jpg

I used to have this type of problem with double exposures too! stooges.gif

What a great pair of books, tb! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Guys! Yeah, the coloring on #45 is one of the reasons I like it, I also just love the Early Walt Kelly Covers. When you get up close to #51 and look at the perfection of the ink lines around e fur on The santa cosume its just mind blowing!

This #47 is another odd color cover also with Dopey. It suffers from the same weird stain on the left upper spine as #51, but to a worse degree. The edges are immaculate and the corners razor sharp, so I couldn't be happier.

1386482-wdcs47.jpg

1386482-wdcs47.jpg.ffa99269215ee06be7b207970035a64e.jpg