• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

NR: Congrats on getting the CBL in Color! The early Scrooge issues have some of Barks' very best stories.

I got my parcel of duck books from Comiclink yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed reading them last night. Especially enjoyed the Maharaja of Howduyustan story "Statuesque Spendthrifts".

korneliuskvakk.gif

Now to find some more...

My only issue from this series but I would like more.

Ken

Top copy cool.gif893applaud-thumb.gif ... but not a surprise coming from you Ken. Always a delight to see your HG books. cloud9.gif The expression on DD's face demonstrates exactly why the funny artists were masters. So few lines to work with and yet they managed such expressiveness. WOW!

I just picked up this white page copy. It is not golden-age but still older than me.

It is a very nice looking book with vibrant colors.

DellGiantBacktoSchool.jpg

WOW! White pages and those colors!!! thumbsup2.gif

I posted this in the thread that was started about the upcoming Heritage July auction, but it will probably get more reactions here among the Barks cognoscenti:

Wow, just saw this OA in the July preview. I think the minds of some Barks fans have just been officially blown.

825046215o.jpg

It would be a bit more exciting if it was an earlier piece, of which, unfortunately, there are very few. There's very little in the way of truly spectacular examples of his work.

I've never even seen full pages of his SA work, let alone GA. confused-smiley-013.gif

All Barks is good Barks so it's definitely good thing. headbang.gif I've been following the pages for years so while they don't sell often, they do pop up every year or so.

All Barks OA is good and rare. Nice piece too.

Here's an interesting piece I just acquired. 1931 Adventures of Mickey Mouse with the first reference to Donald Duck. Is it a stretch to think that the duck on the far right is Donald?

LotD032.jpg

mm1931.jpg

mm1931b.jpg

I posted this in the thread that was started about the upcoming Heritage July auction, but it will probably get more reactions here among the Barks cognoscenti:

Wow, just saw this OA in the July preview. I think the minds of some Barks fans have just been officially blown.

825046215o.jpg

Thanks for the link - I had not seen this. There are actually something like 150-200 pages from the 1960s known to exist - far more than from the 40s and 50s combined. Carsten Laqua usually has some for sale.

On the subject, I wanted to post these scans for Arty since the "Collected Works" is not published in Finland. They show Barks signing 3 originals for Donald Ault around 1970. The WDC&S cover (1948) is the one I purchased from Heritage last Summer. The photos shows the original pen and ink before Bruce Hamilton had Barks add the colors in 1995 (bottom). I'd be impressed if anyone here can name the other two originals...

CBSV_orig1.jpg

CBSV_orig2.jpg

wdcs96_cover.jpg

Very nice book but based on the image you show my answer to your question would be "yes", it's a stretch.

On the subject, I wanted to post these scans for Arty since the "Collected Works" is not published in Finland. They show Barks signing 3 originals for Donald Ault around 1970. The WDC&S cover (1948) is the one I purchased from Heritage last Summer. The photos shows the original pen and ink before Bruce Hamilton had Barks add the colors in 1995 (bottom). I'd be impressed if anyone here can name the other two originals...

CBSV_orig1.jpg

CBSV_orig2.jpg

wdcs96_cover.jpg

I better eat breakfast before I try to solve those riddles. makepoint.giffrustrated.gif