• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,446 posts in this topic

you get overwhelmed overjoyed with the constant arrivals. Just over the last few days, I've received too many packages with books ranging from hole fillers for my Straight Arrow run, a package of Dells (Four Colors, T & Jerry, ...), several of the packages contained issues for my Tarzan run, I also bought a 8 book lot of Long Bow from Fiction House to try and complete that mini-run, Saturday there was a package with a bunch of Atlas War issues and today, I received a package from Jim Payette with some 15 Atlas books, most from 1954 and in the midst of that I also received a Planet for my Mysta run and an issue of Atlas Speed Carter, Spaceman

Fixed that for you :foryou:

you get overwhelmed overjoyed with the constant arrivals. Just over the last few days, I've received too many packages with books ranging from hole fillers for my Straight Arrow run, a package of Dells (Four Colors, T & Jerry, ...), several of the packages contained issues for my Tarzan run, I also bought a 8 book lot of Long Bow from Fiction House to try and complete that mini-run, Saturday there was a package with a bunch of Atlas War issues and today, I received a package from Jim Payette with some 15 Atlas books, most from 1954 and in the midst of that I also received a Planet for my Mysta run and an issue of Atlas Speed Carter, Spaceman

Fixed that for you :foryou:

Oh definitely. I received an Astonishing # 33 for example and the artists line-up in that issue is nothing short of completely screwy: Shelly Moldoff :o Al Carreno :cool: Pablo Ferro :shrug: Really an eclectic mix of artists I least expected to show up in that issue.

But, this is a thread about Ducks ... so let's leave it at that.

Those will do admirably!

That Pluto & Fifi cover never ceases to crack me up. And it's red. :cloud9:

I've been admiring adamstrange's pretty octuplet shots and wanted to make one myself (volume 4#2-9, #1 was in storage).

mmm_v4_2-9_600.jpg

Those will do admirably!

That Pluto & Fifi cover never ceases to crack me up. And it's red. :cloud9:

I've been admiring adamstrange's pretty octuplet shots and wanted to make one myself (volume 4#2-9, #1 was in storage).

mmm_v4_2-9_600.jpg

That one and the nephews playing golf are my faves from this set

Warning: self-indulgent reminiscing ahead.

I was sorting through some boxes the other day and was looking through the early Gladstone issues. I found this:

US_219.jpg

This one is a significant book to me. It is the copy I bought in the Northcote newsagency back in 1987. (The price change to Australian prices also tells you something about the exchange rate back then :o )

US 216 was the first comic book I'd bought since about 1975 (and which first brought the name Carl Barks to my consciousness) and it was nice to see a new Barks story - Go Slowly Sands of Time - even if it wasn't great and not drawn by him.

But when #219 came out I got hooked for good. I still have all of the Gladstone series 1 books and most of series 2, as well as their hardcover Barks library. My now-grown kids and I had a good time with them and the hardcovers are a bit frayed at the edges from repeated reading. When the kids were older and time was easier, my third (and last) collection started taking shape. Which brought me here.

So you can all blame that comic above. :insane:

AJD, thanks for taking time to give credit to Rosa. He is extremely popular back in Scandinavia, especially among the generation that grew up with his stories. When I read Scandinavian comics message boards, I sometimes feel a generation gap and wonder if these younger collectors can relate to the books that I treasure. More discussions about Rosa would be one way to bridge the gap and possibly get them interested in Golden Age comics.

And thanks to everyone for the feedback on the group shot. I'll try to make a few more later. I took a group shot of all my Mickey Mouse Magazines around 5 years ago, before they were slabbed. It would be hard to do the same today.

For what it's worth, my nieces and nephews have read quite a bit of both Barks and Rosa. They like Rosa but love Barks.

Warning: self-indulgent reminiscing ahead.

I was sorting through some boxes the other day and was looking through the early Gladstone issues. I found this:

US_219.jpg

This one is a significant book to me. It is the copy I bought in the Northcote newsagency back in 1987. (The price change to Australian prices also tells you something about the exchange rate back then :o )

US 216 was the first comic book I'd bought since about 1975 (and which first brought the name Carl Barks to my consciousness) and it was nice to see a new Barks story - Go Slowly Sands of Time - even if it wasn't great and not drawn by him.

But when #219 came out I got hooked for good. I still have all of the Gladstone series 1 books and most of series 2, as well as their hardcover Barks library. My now-grown kids and I had a good time with them and the hardcovers are a bit frayed at the edges from repeated reading. When the kids were older and time was easier, my third (and last) collection started taking shape. Which brought me here.

So you can all blame that comic above. :insane:

Don signed my copy and made a couple of drawings for me.

He used to have a large golden age collection and frequently contributed to RBCC.

Does he still collect?

1778213723_c614d84ce3_b.jpg

AJD,

Your post reminded me of the Gladstones I purchased back in the late 80's, or early 90's.

Suddenly I was conscious of Carl Barks and the bountiful creative storm

of comics he had unleashed. :cloud9:

Donald is following his heart, and not thinking with his brain. :luhv:

WDCSX_570.jpg

The Beagle Boys have the upper hand over Uncle Scrooge and clan on this cover.

One wonders if there was an ill fated earlier boat, given the name "Penny Wise II".

WDUSX_224.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy