• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

Some of you might recall the trouble I had running down a nice Uncle Scrooge 6 when I was putting that run together back in 08/09. Because of a common production flaw there were only two in the census then - a 6.5 and an 8.0. Today there are four blue labels in total, two 8s, a 7 and a 6.5. There are also two SA 7.5s - I'm willing to bet they're trimmed to get rid of the production overhang.

Anyhow, I recall joining Heritage a week after the 6.5 was auctioned and was sorry I'd just missed it when I checked the archives. Oh well, I thought, I'll just make sure I buy the next one... :frustrated: In the meantime I bought a VG+ copy which presented well but is almost certainly trimmed. It filled the hole in my collection but I always wanted a better one.

Fast forward almost seven years and thanks to the for sale section on these boards I got a second chance at that book. Here's what will be winging its way to me soon:

Scrooge_6_zpsa40a2718.jpeg

I feel like I just won a lottery. :banana:

That's awesome! Congrats :applause:

Some of you might recall the trouble I had running down a nice Uncle Scrooge 6 when I was putting that run together back in 08/09. Because of a common production flaw there were only two in the census then - a 6.5 and an 8.0. Today there are four blue labels in total, two 8s, a 7 and a 6.5. There are also two SA 7.5s - I'm willing to bet they're trimmed to get rid of the production overhang.

Anyhow, I recall joining Heritage a week after the 6.5 was auctioned and was sorry I'd just missed it when I checked the archives. Oh well, I thought, I'll just make sure I buy the next one... :frustrated: In the meantime I bought a VG+ copy which presented well but is almost certainly trimmed. It filled the hole in my collection but I always wanted a better one.

Fast forward almost seven years and thanks to the for sale section on these boards I got a second chance at that book. Here's what will be winging its way to me soon:

:applause: Congrats on getting such a nice looking copy.

It's always great to see a collector snag a book that means so much to them when it just as easily could have been bought as an afterthought by someone else and never be appreciated nearly as much.

Good one!

I'm convinced that no truly high-grade copy of that book exists. Does anyone know of one?

Good one!

I'm convinced that no truly high-grade copy of that book exists. Does anyone know of one?

Interesting, I didn't know these were so hard to find in grade. I'll pull my copy later but other than my FC #386 my early Scrooge issues are usually quite rough; proud survivors of many reads!!

Well I took a look for my US 6 and sure enough there was that production defect up top that you mentioned. Most of my early Scrooges are in rough shape like this one; they were loved to death then sold at flea markets for loose change which is where I searched them out in the early seventies.

152170.jpg.335ec39790e143405a8c7d2389933e5c.jpg

Not quite a duck but I thought it kind of fun - while I was pulling the US 6 above I came across this TOPS comic reprint of Snow White. It is interesting in that it does not have the copyright notice on the cover like the other TOPS comics I have. The condition is also quite nice leading me to believe I picked this up at an early con from a file copy source.

The indica notes this is the fourth printing which makes sense as Dell issued two Four Color versions then Gold Key a movie version and then this issue.

152171.jpg.78090281c4c8a06d9a01e125158059b6.jpg

Good one!

Interesting, I didn't know these were so hard to find in grade. I'll pull my copy later but other than my FC #386 my early Scrooge issues are usually quite rough; proud survivors of many reads!!

That is interesting. Another book to add to my want list! I know that Donald Duck #26 and #27 are hard to find in 9.2+; are there any other Disney books anyone knows about? The Peter Pan Giant Size Treasury was tough. Is it still?

I bought this PPTT for $20 at a New York Show in the mid seventies and it was touted as file copy. I have never seen a nicer one in forty years of scrounging around shows. So tough is certainly a word I would use here.
Wow! That's a beauty! :o:applause:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the new Don Rosa hardcover volumes from Fantagraphics. I got mine before Christmas and am really pleased with them. They remind me of everything I like (and a few things I don't like) about Rosa's work.

Not having read some of these stories for some years now, it really struck me how the early Rosa stories were nt far removed from underground comics. The art isn't as polished as you'd normally see in a major publisher's books and the stories often have a frenetic feel to them. There's none of the careful pacing or extended setting up of a scene like you'd often get from Barks. My favourite example is Barks' Atlantis story in Uncle Scrooge #5 - it's 32 pages long but half the story is taken getting the ducks to Atlantas - and there's a great pie fight along the way. In Son of the Sun, Rosa has them on a plane on page 5, having already flagged where the quest would be on page 3.

Now to be fair, early Barks wasn't classic Barks either, and Rosa's stories get better as you go along. The volumes cover the first couple of years' worth of stories, and they're head and shoulders better than the middle of the road European stories that appeared around the same time, or almost all of the post-Barks American duck stories. Also, Uncle Scrooge #219 with Son of the Sun is the reason I picked up comics again as an adult, so I well recall how exciting it was to find someone at least trying to do classic duck stories.

I'm going to enjoy collecting this series. I'll find some of my highlights from the early stories and post them later.

I remember picking up US #219 off the newsstand, as well. I was actively collecting other books but that issue made me start buying all of Gladstone's monthly duck output. The combination of Barks reprints with new Rosa stories was impossible to resist.